Texas vs TCU

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by LutherIsMyDog, Feb 25, 2022.

1. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

By the format of the pre-game press conference, it appears at least one of Vic's concerns have been addressed by the AD. Hopefully, it's a sign that other issues will be corrected.

• Like Like x 3
  2. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Clearly having a robust student section would go a long way with this team based on Shay and Rori’s comments. That would certainly be a good start in creating an atmosphere more inviting to a larger crowd as well you’d think. Can’t somebody come up with a way to get students to start attending their games consistently?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

There was a group of about 10 students on the opposite side from the band at the OU game. They were so much fun to watch. I wanted so badly to give them each $20 with the promise of repeating that for every game they returned. But who carries cash anymore :idk: Maybe I should have bought them some beer :beertoast:

• Like Like x 2
  4. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I’m sure they would accept Venmo, CashApp or Zelle payment in lieu of cold hard cash :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

You give me too much tech credit

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

I love that you thought that though. Listen I’m old and technology challenged in a really bad way, but once it’s set up it’s easy peasy going forward (and I don’t carry cash either). I’ve used all three of those but mostly Venmo.

• Like Like x 1
  7. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I didn't see the press conference in which attendance came up. In this morning's AAS, Vic makes some statements, I guess which came from the presser, that to me are really annoying regarding zone defenses. "We play an exciting brand; we ain't out there standing around in some high school 2-3 zone. We're playing our rear off." Well, Texas has certainly had trouble beating some of these high school zones over the years. We are doing better against the zone, with our guards hitting some threes and getting some penetration, but I still think it is the most effective defense a team can play against us. Does he think players aren't working their rears off if they are playing zone? Yes, man defense can be really effective and exciting, but it is not exciting when our man defense lets players drive around us to the rim or back door us to death. I love our man defense, too. It is getting better and better, with much improved help side. But it does not work in every situation. I have written a zillion times on this board how frustrating it is that he doesn't have the flexibility to use a zone at times, just to throw a team off balance, change things up, or try to close down a team which is dominating us on the inside. But with a demeaning attitude like his, we know that would never happen. If you are in a zone you aren't being "tough and aggressive."

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

For sure, it starts with the students. Volleyball had one of their highest attendance 2nd rounds and set an all-time attendance record for the regional final with their "buy a student a ticket" program last December. That's during a pandemic!

With that said we do have to recognize the challenge of getting students to women's basketball games. It's not the location folks, Moody isn't going to solve this. We forget that during Aston's time the athletic department was running this promotion where students had a "punch card" and got credit for every event they attended towards some reward. There was a game where they actually had a decent sized student section behind the basket that rivaled what the men have. They smartly didn't give the students credit for attending until after the first quarter. BUT THEN THEY LEFT!

9. UTSUgrad

UTSUgrad 250+ Posts

Musings: IMHO, scheduling games at 7 on Saturday night is detrimental to attendance. Students often don't fill their section at football games, our biggest sports attraction, on Saturday night. Sports are just not the only entertainment option, unlike back in my day, when a game was convenient, affordable and allowed me to support My University. TV controls game times, I assume, but I think an afternoon start time could improve attendance, especially with incentives of some sort .... Today's students have always had women's sports available as something to do/watch. As an old Boomer, I don'take W-sports for granted... at any game, especially football, lots of fans don't pay a lot of attention to the live game - they follow it on their phones and the big scrreen.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. UTSUgrad

UTSUgrad 250+ Posts

I hate when "tough and aggressive" turns into a boring, slow game with lots of fouls. I fear that style won't attract top players who aspire to play professionally. Collin has changed Baylor's style of play to better mirror the pros - TBD how that works out - didn't help us beat them this year.

11. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

It is frustrating that more students don't attend. This may not be true for students, but I think the main reason the population in general doesn't have greater attendance is the Longhorn Network. It just makes it so convenient (and cheaper) to see the games. Not the same as being there, but I am grateful for it, since I have a couple of reasons it's hard to get to the games.

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

What time would you suggest? 1 PM? Students aren't even awake and sober by that time.

LHN is dictating the game times especially when home softball and baseball games are scheduled for the same day; throw in men's and women's tennis, which are all outdoor sports, and 7 PM makes perfect sense for indoor basketball games.

• Agree Agree x 3
  13. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

IMO, most high school students aren't exposed to attending girls' basketball. So, when they get to college, it's not something they are looking forward to (like the men's sports). I certainly had that mindset my first year at Texas. If not for the men's basketball teams sucking in the late 80's, and women's team being elite, I'd have never discovered Texas women's basketball.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

What did you guys think about Vic's comments regarding attendance after Shay and Rori gave theirs? He seemed much more neutered on the topic than he did the other day. He really just bit his tongue and danced around the topic.

Not sure what exactly happened after his last comments which were all over social media, but it almost sounds like he got a talking to (by someone he works for). Or, perhaps Blair and other family coaching staff told him about the reactions to his comments on the different message boards.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2022
  15. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I was thinking possibly this... But I was also thinking he's probably okay with it at the end of the day because he got his message across. Was it merely coincidental that this week's press conference was with in-person media?
    :e-thinking:

16. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I was glad to see the in-person media coverage.

But his facial expressions while Shay and Rori talking about attendance (where they both smiled often) was stern and expressionless.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Yea I didn’t understand why he felt like he stepped in it so to speak. It’s true and it’s a valid issue. Maybe I missed the part that could be found offensive. I was out of the country for over a week and not always in touch. Just binged all 3 women’s games that I missed while gone

• Like Like x 2
  18. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

He has said that numerous times. I agree with him. Watching players like Harmon JAT, Warren, Holle and Ebo pester and frustrate the heck out of their opponents is thrilling. But more importantly, Vic wins more often than he loses. Looking forward to a thrilling win tonight.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  19. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

" Our away games are more fun than our home games" Ouch!!! And what an indicting statement to have to make.

20. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

Actually in my experience the best attended football games by students at Texas are night games. WVU, Notre Dame come to mind. However women’s basketball is different I agree.
    The administration could get more students to the game without much effort. Off food, giveaways like t-shirts and caps, targeted advertising (Facebook, Instagram),
    direct outreach to school clubs, Greek organizations, and more. Make it a social event - not just a game. It will improve at the Moody I’m sure.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

I agree. He did appear somewhat chastened, but perhaps he decided that having two of your starters say that away games are more fun than home games, delivered the message adequately.

• Agree Agree x 4
  22. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

As I stated, all I can think of is that someone in the administration or his family/coaches talked to him (about the response out on social media and fan message boards). As he stated, "I had no clue that was such a bad thing I mentioned". So, someone made him think that . . .

23. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

So no speculation as to what was interpreted to be so egregious was my question. I feel like I missed something

24. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

What a first Half and especially fun 2nd Qtr to watch! The crowd is on point tonight as well

• Like Like x 2
  25. WBBFAN19

WBBFAN19 25+ Posts

Anyone at the game?? Did Audrey hit her head when she fell? I know she was knocked out with the elbow but the TV didnt show her fall.

26. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Looking at Gaston gives me pause.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. xdxmmxchxxl

xdxmmxchxxl 250+ Posts

We are playing great, doubling up TCU in the 3Q. I hope Audrey and Deyona are okay, both having been taken to the locker room, but both of their injuries didn’t look like anything too serious.

Like most of you I want Kyndall to play more, then she gets put into the game and I’m reminded why she doesn’t; every time she is in Vic has to constantly redirect her because she can’t remember a single play.

I like Latasha Lattimore.

• Agree Agree x 4
  28. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Dee Gaston had a look on her face like she might have a concussion and I’m just as worried about Audrey as she got elbowed in the face pretty hard. Rough time in the season for concussion protocol. I’m worried but I hope I’m wrong

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

Exactly! Gaston looked like she was out of it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

On the postive side, it was a resounding victory. I thought Moore, and especially Lattimore looked good tonight. They will continue to get better. Now we wait to see about Gaston and Warren.

• Agree Agree x 1