Texas vs UConn

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by LutherIsMyDog, Jan 14, 2018.

1. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

The long awaited match-up with UConn is tomorrow. Although we are the underdogs, what does this Texas team need to do in order to be competitive against the Huskies? I have not watched UConn play this year so I'm not familiar with their strengths and weaknesses. Regardless of the opponent, Texas can't get off to a slow start, we can't fade in the 4Q and Brooke needs to be more productive on offense. I was encouraged in the KU game that Joyner looked to be shaking off the rust and getting into the offensive flow of the game. Hopefully AAG will be able to contribute meaningful minutes.

For those of you familiar with UConn, who do you think LaShann will be guarding? What other personnel pairings do you anticipate?

UConn fans--if you are out "there" please feel free to contribute to this discussion.

Hook'em!

2. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I don't know what to expect. We will have to be shooting a higher percentage than the last two games (obviously). Everyone will have to be hitting. Hopefully this will be Brooke's break-out game. And we can't have any of those "dry spells" where nothing goes in. As far as I know, UConn doesn't have any weaknesses. I would guess Ariel will start on Samuelson, since Samuelson is so tall. Ariel can't get into foul trouble. Brooke or Sutton on Danger, leaving Lashann to guard Nurse, I guess. We will probably change up a lot. Inside, don't know. Napheesa Collier is hard to guard, she has so many good moves. Audrey-Ann or Joyner if she is in maybe. I can't remember their other starter, but Azure Stevens will get a lot of minutes, and I don't know how we can guard her, since she is also so tall.

I will be satisfied if we give it our best, regardless of the outcome. I think we could surprise them and play them close or even win. Or, if things go badly, they could blow us out. (I doubt we will blow them out.)

• Like Like x 2
  3. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Gabby Williams. She's a threat from everywhere as well. She leads their team in steals too, if I'm not mistaken. I wouldn't be surprised to see Lashann guarding her, although there will be a height advantage for Williams.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

5. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

I just want Texas to bring their A Game.
    Everyone has to be locked in and ready.
    Aston will have to give out the right minutes, to the right player's.
    And change up her defense approach some.
    You only as Good as your Leader....

• Like Like x 1
  6. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

The reason UConn wins is because every player can score and every player can defend. When you watch them play, it is sometimes impossible to tell which player is playing which position. They hustle every second of the game and at times it looks like 5 guards are on the floor and at times it looks like 5 posts. It’s not unusual for them to get 10+ from beyond the arc. They can score from anywhere.

We have the talent to play that way too... if we decide to. 40 long. 40 strong. Every damn second.

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
  7. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Gabby Williams - probably their best athlete.

8. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Right, Gabby Williams. Yes, I'd say Lashann will get her, and Ariel on Samuelson, or it could be the other way around.

9. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

my anticipated matchups:
    Starters:
    Crystal Dangerfield 5-5 vs Brooke 5-4
    Katie Lou Samuelson 6-3 vs Ariel 5-11
    Kia Nurse 6-0 vs LaShann 5-9
    Gabby Williams 5-11 vs Audrey-Ann 6-4/Joyner 6-3
    Napheesa Collier 6-1 vs Jatarie 6-4/Joyner 6-3

Key reserves:
    Azurá Stevens 6-6
    Megan Walker 6-1

And possibly:
    Kyla Irwin 6-2

No question that Texas will need Brooke to be back on track. But the main problem will be finding scoring inside from our posts. Hopefully, our team won’t go in with the mindset that they can’t guard Stevens cuz she is so tall. They will give up a couple of inches to her but they will have to be physical without fouling to push her out of her comfort zone when she is in. Like Baylor, they don’t have a lot of bodies inside but the ones they do have are outstanding. Otherwise, Texas will be the ones with a height advantage inside. When Joyner is in, nobody on UConn’s roster can match up with her height and athleticism. Given what she did versus Kansas, I expect her to get just as many minutes as Stevens.

While the stars may not align for a Texas win, they should be ready to pull out the win. Our team should have the mindset that they will win. I know I am going to be there to watch the Horns take down the Huskies.

UConn has an awesome starting five and brings in Stevens off the bench. But they play their quards a lot of minutes in close games. If Coach is willing to use Patterson, who seems to be the only health frosh, we will have an advantage on the perimeter in terms of numbers. Inside, our posts are going to have to play foul free.

Should be an awesome game with a ton of people to witness it.

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/011418aaa.html

• Like Like x 8
  10. LutherIsMyDog

Babhorn is back! We've missed you and your contributions to the board.

• Like Like x 9
  11. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Welcome back, BabHorn!!!! We have missed you!

• Like Like x 6
  12. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I think the question will be how Coach Aston plans to match up with UCONN at the 4/5 position. Collier and Stevens will be a very difficult matchup for Jatarie defensively because of their ability to play away from the basket.

Also, Samuelson will be a very difficult matchup because Texas doesn’t have anyone her size on the perimeter. I think the only way Texas has a chance is if UConn has a uncharacteristic off night.

• Like Like x 2
  13. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

I wish Coach would switch up defenses for a bit. Start out in a zone, switch to man-to-man off and on. Just see how it plays out, try to slow them down a little. I'm sure film they've watched of us has been strictly man-to-man. Is that crazy to hope for?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Just my opinion, but playing a zone UConn would be a huge mistake. Pretty sure 4 starters (except Gabby) can shoot the 3-pointer very efficiently, and so can Azura when comes in the game.

Honestly, if UConn is hitting their average on 3-pointers, we just can't match that. I thought going into the season that we'd be an improved 3-point shooting team, but with none of the freshmen expected to play (IMO), that really handcuffs our perimeter game.

Defensively, I just don't think our normal starting five match up well with UConn's starting five; Joyner instead of Audrey-Anne is a better matchup against Collier or Williams. While I love how hard AA plays, neither would be a good defensive assignment for her.

We are not playing very good basketball right now; so, realistically, it's hard to think we are in a position to win. I also have a feeling that the 10,000 or so home fans are gonna be somewhat of a shock to our players; UConn is used to playing in front of large home and away crowds. Hope that doesn't adversely affect our team.

When I try to think of when the last time was that we played our best full game, I'm not sure there was one (maybe West Virginia). We only played well two quarters against TCU; one quarter against Kansas; two against KSU; three against OU. We started our really slow against FSU, but amped things up pretty quickly after falling behind by double digits. Maybe our game at Georgia was our most complete game this season.

If Brooke, Ariel, and Lashann don't combine for at least 50 points, we won't be winning the game. We really need to push tempo (not rush our shots, necessarily); our transition game is what we do best. Perhaps doing that as much as possible to run UConn up and down the court, and make them play defense would be our best strategy; but, to run transition, we need to rebound very well.

15. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

I understand that a zone the whole game is not the answer, just saying maybe we start out with it, throw them off a bit. Then switch it up.

16. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Wow. Lots of Debbie Downers on here.

• Like Like x 2
  17. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  18. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Not me. I just want to see some surprises thrown at them. Is that too much to ask for?

19. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Are you predicting a win based on how well we are playing our last few games?

20. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

I’m predicting a win because why the hell not? Seems like a better idea than say ... I don’t know ... a root canal.

• Like Like x 4
  21. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

iirc, Texas has played a zone before in this season. While the Horns are primarily a man to man team, zone is not an unknown concept to them.

UConn takes about a third of their shots from BTA, mainly because their three starting guards are all shooting over 47% from there. Horns need to make sure they contest every 3pter. They average around 8.5 3s a game, we average just under six 3s a game. If they make more that that, it's because the Horns are not playing straight up defense but leaving someone open to help. Whether zone or man to man, Texas needs to remember the scouting report. UConn excels in spreading the floor and taking advantage of defensive lapses caused by over helping. At the same time, UConn's zone is vulnerable if the team will penetrate and find the open player when the Huskies collapse. Passing the ball around the perimeter is not going to get it done.

I am not too worried about Collier, Stevens or Williams drifting out to nail threes. Collier is hitting just over 27%, Stevens around 15% and Williams has yet to make a 3pter. The only two Texas posts that would worry UConn from BTA would Audrey-Ann and Jada, both hitting around 36% from BTA.

Their top six players (starters plus Stevens) average 79.2 ppg. Our top six players (starters plus Sug) average 66.2 ppg. Their bench adds 14.4 ppg. Our bench 19.2 ppg. Our scoring margin is +21.3 ppg. Theirs +36.2 ppg. So, yes, we will need to score a bit more and slow them down as well.

The chess game between the coaches will also be interesting to see unfold. I wonder if at some point, we see Joyner on Samuelson. Joyner should be able to stay with and bother her shot. But do we go with two other posts at that time or use a guard/forward (Ariel, Jordan, Jada) to guard, say Williams while Joyner is engaging Samuelson. Can't wait to see that game between the coaches.

BTW, first replay on the LHN will be Monday night at 10 PM.

• Like Like x 3
  22. LutherIsMyDog

• Like Like x 1
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

We did a lousy job guarding TCU's 3-point shooters; the final two were wide open shots, IIRC.

That actually concerns me the most. Realistically, we can't expect to match UConn's production from BTA. So, we either have to defend that very well, or make up for it in other areas.

In big games, unfortunately, someone always gets into early foul trouble. Let's hope it's Samuelson and Williams.

• Like Like x 3
  24. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

http://www.hookemplus.com/story/tall-order-texas-faces-uconn-womens-basketball-showcase-game/
    http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-womens-basketball/hc-sp-uconn-women-20180114-story.html

• Like Like x 1
  25. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  26. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Welcome back Babhorn!

• Like Like x 2
  27. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

I noticed UConn played alot of zone against Houston Saturday. Their starters also played alot. It would be good if Rellah could give us a few quality minutes tomorrow. I hope our players forget it is a big game and not play out of control. Gotta remember UConn is used to these type of games....they are everyone's big game, especially on the road. We Are Texas...let's defend The Drum!!

• Like Like x 3
  28. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

Playing zone against UConn is the kiss of death. Limiting the three, or matching it, is the key to having a chance against them. The threat of the three is what makes them go, spreads the floor, and opens up so many opportunities for their drives and cuts. As Babhorn pointed out, three of their starters hit over 48% of their threes---a simply phenomenal stat. I was surprised that Gabby Williams, Naphesia Collier, and Azura Stevens aren't threats from outside the arc. That's a little ray of hope. So I guess the key to victory is smothering Samuelson, Dangerfield and Nurse and sagging off of the others. See, it's easy. This brilliant strategy guarantees us a win. (Oh yeah, we have to play offense, too.)

• Like Like x 3
  29. Karen

Karen 25+ Posts

We haven't been playing well the last few games. I'm a huge fan, but this is just a statement of fact.

• Like Like x 1
  30. LutherIsMyDog

• Like Like x 2