Texas vs UConn

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by LutherIsMyDog, Jan 14, 2018.

1. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Back from the game, so glad I paid the extra $$ to have parking in the flat lot that next to the swim center. Getting out of that parking garage has gotta take at least 60 minutes. Quick thoughts:
    1) Even when they were down 8 points, Geno never called timeout. I thought, "That's a cool customer who knows his team is going to work themselves back in the game."
    2) Called his first timeout with 45 seconds to go when it really mattered.
    3) Although we played extremely well against the cream of the crop, and that's great. I kept thinking, "They don't have a dominant post. I wonder if they had someone like a Kalani Brown we'd be struggling more?"
    4) Good game, but Baylor-beating good?...always on my mind
    5) For perspective, I looked up their game against UH last Saturday: 95-35
    6) Saw Charli Collier where students/prospects/coaches come in. Coach Tina came by touch base with her. And then saw a very tall white gal with her Mom picking up complementary tickets and Tina went over to hug her. Don't know who she is. She was slightly taller than Tina, white with red hair. Her mom was tall too, probably 2-3 inches shorter. Anyone?
    7) Lashann, about 7-8 minutes in the game looked winded and I was thinking, "Uh oh...."
    8) My longtime seatmate said, "I don't know what Geno does. He must beat them if they miss free throws." Yes, she was being facetious, but man! No misses till the very end.
    9) Coulda, woulda, shoulda won with better FT shooting
    10) For some reason I can't explain, I think this game puts "boosters" on the team for the next few games. Confidence in how hard and close they played the #1 team

• Like Like x 4
  2. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Outside of beating UCONN, the best outcome is getting quite a few fans back into the stands for future games. Heard a lot of people saying this is the first WBB game they’ve been to and quite a few of them taking daughters/granddaughters - need the young ‘uns to push the parents to keep coming back.

• Like Like x 7
  3. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Racer, I think the other girl was Sedona Prince. She and Charli Collier were sitting together in the stands.

Just got back from the game and I'm exhausted. Before the game, all I wanted was for Texas to play a tough competitive game. My emotions switched in the first half and I knew that I nothing but a victory was going to satisfy me. Heartbreaking, emotional loss.

Both teams played a great game. UConn looked winded in the 2nd half but it didn't effect their shooting. UConn does a great job of setting screens.

Jatarie White is my surprise player of the night. She looked great. We are going to miss Audrey Anne. Ariel cooled off from sitting on the bench due to foul trouble.

• Like Like x 5
  4. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

Great game and glad I was able to make it, but not thrilled to cut the trip short and (hopefully) get back to Dallas before the roads are too treacherous.

The atmosphere was electric tonight.

I personally don’t understand a lot of the comments about Rellah not playing. It could be injury for all we know, but geez, whatever the case, I trust Aston (and the staff) to make the right decision. They DO have all the information that we don’t and probably invested in winning more than anyone

• Like Like x 3
  5. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Nope, I saw Sedona Saturday night and her hair, and more importantly, her face were completely different than the gal I saw today.

Maybe I'll get super-obsessive and look at the 2019 or 2020 recruit list and start googling.

• Like Like x 1
  6. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Jatari and Audrey have earned every minute they have been given this season. Both played great ball tonight.

• Like Like x 8
  7. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Whew, what a tough loss. Happy with the way the team played, happy with the way KA coached and prepared them. I give her a lot a grief and "armchair quarterbacking" when it comes to some of her decision making and substitutions, but she was on top of her sh&* tonight. There are no moral victories in this game, but definitely some things to build upon.

Some perspective, our defense can stifle a good team when all 5 players are locked in. That was something I was unsure about. And it should speak to our depth that we were able to hang in the game with Ariel being on the bench the entire second quarter. A lot of what ifs left on the court. Some very makable layups and a lot of missed FT's. Button those things up and we're looking at a different result. This loss can be a good thing if deployed the right way. Next test will be how we play a very different but equally talented BU team on the road with 12k strong cheering the opposite way.

• Like Like x 8
  8. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

I enjoyed that game , even though we loss.
    It showed me, what type of team. Texas can really be.
    OMG
    If she could ever get Holmes and Boothe going.
    That's going to be something to see.

• Like Like x 2
  9. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

I keep asking myself these three questions and I can’t seem to come up with any answers.

1. How does a highly recruited shooter like Sutton play 25 minutes and get 2 points?

2. How does an incredible player like Joyner Holmes play 12 minutes and get one rebound and one point?

3. What could possibly be going on with Rellah that she’s not even suiting up for these games and especially this game?

How does that happen?

• Like Like x 2
  10. Rexy

Rexy 1,000+ Posts

Another moral victory. No one has played UConn closer this year than Texas. Notre Dame came within 9 points. The rest of UConn’s games have been mostly blow outs. I know that means nothing, but makes me feel a bit better.

• Like Like x 3
  11. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Taylor Jones was there with her parents. Maybe her?

12. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Great game, great atmosphere! We actually had two chances to win, or at least tie the game before Dangerfield made her free throws. Oh well, I wish we had won but that was a damn good basketball game. :hookem2:

• Like Like x 4
  13. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Let me be the first to thank LonghornNation...the crowd looked amazing. I hope its not a one time thing and we continue to support this team. When i get past the loss we played a great big time game. Yes we made some mistakes, missed some makeable shots but credit the coaching staff for getting us ready. I thought this was the best "loss" i've seen us play in 6 years.
    Was the total attendance announced tonight?

• Like Like x 7
  14. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

1. Sutton was defended really well. Uconn played some good transition defense as well. That really limited her ability to attack like she normally does.

2. She's still rounding into form, this her 3rd game back? Had maybe 10 practices? Her performance also had some good things that wont show up on the stat sheet either. This is how I would expect a player to play against the #1 team in the country after having that much time off

3. My guess is some sort of injury. Because I was looking at her body language intently tonight and it was really good. She was engaged, clapping, getting water and being a great teammate. Hoping if it is an issue that is truly a "coaches decision" then they will see that and it will work in her favor.

• Like Like x 2
  15. LutherIsMyDog

I believe they announced it was over 12k.

• Like Like x 1
  16. HornView

HornView 1,000+ Posts

They announced attendance at the very end of the game. Twelve thousand & something

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

There were lots and lots of recruits at the game tonight.
    Sedona and Charlie were hanging out together with Shea Routt? Deja Kelly also with them.
    Saw London Clarkson there wearing a Longhorn outfit siting with her family.
    Also Taylor Jones was there with her parents and wearing a Longhorn shirt. I watched her at the end of the game and her body language was not into Texas. She and her family did go to the floor after the game and visited with Tina Thompson but no interaction with any of the players.
    After the game Jamie went straight into the stands and visited with a very tall red headed girl sitting with her Mom. Coach Aston came up shortly to visit with her as well and spent some time talking to her. Not a clue who this was. She had something (could not read it) Canyon Thunder on her sweat shirt. Seemed to get a lot of attention.
    There were several other girls there that the coaches were talking to that I did not know.
    What a game to have potential recruits at!

• Like Like x 4
  18. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Is this her?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
  19. WCBBNUT

WCBBNUT 2,500+ Posts

Thanks. Those answers are good enough for me. I guess I need to be patient with Holmes, but it’s killing me. She is just so good and it’s been 7 games. I want her back. Joyner, Audrey and Jatari could really wear the opposing bench down the way Higgs, McCarty, and Sutton do now.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Based on how we had been playing recently (and even most of the season), it was the best game we coached and played by far, especially considering the quality of the opponent and doing so on such a big stage with everyone (who follows women's hoops) watching. So, pleasantly surprised all the way around. And, we played/coached all four quarters, which has been a problem in recent years.

The biggest shock to me is that I don't think we had any transition or fast break baskets (our strongest asset), and we still did enough good things to almost pull out a win. No steals by Lashann or Ariel which led to easy baskets tonight.

Wondering if teams are not crashing the offensive boards as hard as they would against other teams in order to get back on defense and not allow our transition game to beat them. It's smart if that's the strategy; and, could explain why we are dominating the rebounding aspect of the game.

My biggest disappointment is how we managed our possessions at the end of each quarter; each mistake we made (Ariel's second foul, not playing for the last shot, not grabbing the defensive rebound, losing track of their best shooter, etc.) is probably what cost us the game (and was a huge shift in momentum).

Will add more thoughts tomorrow.

• Like Like x 3
  21. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Could be. I noticed her too, but wasn't quite sure if she was a recruit or not. Who is this?

22. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Ashten Prechtel - 6’ 5” C from Colorado Springs. Class of 2019, goes to Discovery Canyon high school (the Thunder).

• Like Like x 4
  23. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I was wondering what our connection was with 6'5 Ashton Pretchel out of Colorado, and it had completely slipped my mind all the recruiting connections Jamie Carey has there. That is awesome that she paid her way for an unofficial visit. I like our chances.

• Like Like x 8
  24. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Was thinking the same thing considering Jamie coached high school in CO as well as the time she spent with USA Basketball - HQ in Colorado Springs.

25. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Yeah, I think I saw Ms. Prechtel with her mom.

Ahhh, Jamie Carey lived and coached in CO before she came back home to Austin.....I see where Jamie probably scouted her and met her when she was a freshman in HS.

• Like Like x 3
  26. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I posted about Pretchel in the 2019 Recruiting thread last week.

• Like Like x 2
  27. LutherIsMyDog

Here's the official tally on attendance

• Like Like x 3
  28. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

29. Bobcat

Bobcat 500+ Posts

Sedona was indeed at the game and was hanging with Charli Collier and Deja Kelly.

• Like Like x 2
  30. Malcom

Malcom 1,000+ Posts

Barring injury Rellah will be our most improved player next year. I think even Destiny will also be better but I don't think she is that far away. They both can shoot but must learn defense. In my opinion Jada must ascribe to the same committments.

• Like Like x 2