Texas vs USC game thread

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Olehornfan, Sep 16, 2017.

1. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Should have gone for two. The game was in our hands at that moment.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

This is the worst refereed game since the Oklahoma State game a couple years back.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Yep. So much for all his big talk of relishing the underdog role and playing like we had nothing to lose.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Yep. Even if we miss the 2, that decision is still on us and we go out on our terms. Asking Sam to keep pushing into a pile when he's been driven into the ground all game long is begging for something bad to happen, especially when we could've just given it to Warren.

• Like Like x 3
  5. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

Well, this game guys.

Ehlinger had a great effort. 4 turnovers though.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

SC ain't winning a natty this year so there is that lol

7. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

I guess, ironically, the coaches thought that Sam running was safer, not requiring a handoff. I was very much, in the moment, wanting Warren to carry that ball.
    You could see, from the replay of the prior play, that Sam had gotten nailed on the 3 yard line.

Oh well, lots went right and wrong, but it was good entertainment.

• Like Like x 2
  8. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Played hard. Not always smart. But damn we'll be doing well to get to 6 wins. Great to get to 7 victories. You can't go 1-2 in non conference. And we keep doing it time after time. We still have OU, OSU, TCU, KState on the schedule.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

anyone else detect the somber report from the ref on the go-ahead TD review? jack-wagon.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I wonder what Tom thinks about field goals now?

• Like Like x 2
  11. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

The game was much, much closer than I predicted. Texas defense played its heart out. Unbelievably great. I don't know how this could be the same D as took the field against Maryland.
    The only thing I would question is giving it to Sam at the four yard line after he just took it for eight. USC was jamming the middle. For a run up the middle on 2nd and two I don't give it to Sam straight up the gut.

But really, the guys played great, Sam had a decent game, and for a freshman showed great poise. The team and the coach deserve credit. I don't go for moral victories. Losing sucks every time. That being said, I hope the guys take something positive from this.

They played with enormous heart.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

• Like Like x 10
  13. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Well, at least the defense showed improvement...even some on special teams. Offense still needs a LOT of work, late-game heroics notwithstanding

• Like Like x 2
  14. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

This one really stings. No moral victories - that's a game we have to find a way to win. Too many mistakes, missed opportunities. Defense fought their guts out, and I'll credit the O-line for getting its act together after a disaster of a first half.
    Sam fought, but he's gotta protect the ball better. A bad pick and a strip to lose a second TD.

• Like Like x 5
  15. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I feel strongly that we could have made it. I don't know why I feel that way but I think it was right there. Herman would have told the team we are going the win.

16. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Will be curious what the explanation is for Warren being missing for almost all of the game.

• Like Like x 8
  17. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Yeah, that didn't make any sense to me either. The first run, just before that, ok. They were not expecting it, and they did not jam the middle with big bodies. usc was expecting some sort of run and they pounced on Sam the 2nd go round.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

There needs to be a public explanation why Warren didn’t get 25-30 carries tonight. If he is healthy then his absence is indefensible.

• Like Like x 7
  19. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

The atmosphere for Ehlinger playing at The Coliseum at #4 USC will make the rest of the venues except The Cotton Bowl seem like nothing. I see this as a positive going forward if he continues to start.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

I'm hoping Shane and Connor will be well in two weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  21. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Shoulda done this, shoulda done that. So easy to second guess every decision and play that doesn't work to perfection. Get a ******* clue. This team played their guts out. The light bulb came on for a lot of the guys on D and Ehlinger grew up a lot tonight. Appreciate their incredible effort and all you whiny-***, belly aching ******* STFU!

• Like Like x 2
  22. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

this^^^

23. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Tom said Shane could played 2nite. Might have won with him. Not sure about Connor though, it looked pretty bad.

24. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Malik's best game as far as I can remember.

• Like Like x 1
  25. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

Reading this cracked me up because it is the exact conversation I am having with myself right now... I have been running through one What-If after another in my mind and then my alter-ego yells at me to STFU and appreciate the effort. Hook 'Em

• Like Like x 1
  26. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Yeah, I see your point.:hookem:

27. BigBull

BigBull 25+ Posts

Yes. You have a 250 pound running back that is used to driving into the pile and have your QB run it instead. These coaches do not understand risk / reward.

The lack of CW running has caused me to doubt all the great positives I thought of this staff.

28. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Yeah I said earlier that Herman talked about running the ball all game week. So why abandon it in a close game? We didn't even give Warren a chance.

• Like Like x 1
  29. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Take your meds. Nobody is ignoring the context of the teams performance. But this isn't Texags. No moral victories. Certainly there is great progress but last year we beat Notre Dame and everyone was euphoric.

We lost today. That's what happened.

• Like Like x 2
  30. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

The announcer's addressed the strip well. Actually, I don't think Sam ever should have been asked to take that second trip into the middle inside the five. USC was jamming the middle, they were ready for the run between the tackles. Lots of better guys to handle the ball if Herman wants to run from that spot into that mass of hostile defenders.