Texas vs. UTEP

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Joe Fan, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Sept 12
    7 pm
    LHN

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  3. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Let's go mid-Mack Brown years on them and make a statement like elite teams do these type of weeks....I'm talking like 62-10 instead of 31-17

• Like Like x 4
  4. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Crap, I don’t have LHN. I may have to Uber Sep 12. Who lives near The Woodlands #Hookem, lets game watch

5. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Sending you a PM...

6. George Bailey

George Bailey No beans in my chili, thank you

My brother and I were talking about this yesterday. Remembering back when the Horns would open up with a 45-50 pt win or 1977 when they put up 44, 68, and 72 pts in their first three games. I'd love a return to those days.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Ronnie G’s off Sawdust is a great place to watch football. 20 screens or so.

• Like Like x 1
  8. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I wish Chris would tell ABC that over half our fans are taking the season off, so LHN will as well. We intend to be on real TV. There are not any other games of interest, certainly not 5 or 6

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

With the predicament UTEP is in we could win 70-0 and I'm not sure it would mean anything. Playing Tech is a dust storm in West Texas should let us know if this is really a top 10-15 team, and if the defense will be at least average.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Ajo Macho

Ajo Macho 500+ Posts

Last season, UTEP went 1-11, with their only win coming against Houston Baptist, an FCS program that went 5-7. It was a 36-34 nailbiter, with UTEP winning on a 4th quarter field goal. The game was in El Paso.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Sure, but that was last year. Those guys are coming back bigger, stronger, and more mature, with an additional year of experience under their collective belt. And you know they are going to be seriously motivated to get that signature win for their program. I fully expect to see a highly competitive game that comes down to just two or three key plays. </coachspeak>

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. RainH2burntO

Yes[no]...I hear[just made up]they have alot[1 or 2] of returning[on the sideline] starters[walk on back ups] at key[kicking game] position(s) and a few [1] new coaches with a potentially [not] hot new [old and tired and without personel to pull it off] offensive scheme [dream].

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  13. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Think we'll see any backup QB action?

• Like Like x 1
  14. RainH2burntO

I, for one, sure hope so. We havent seen it but once or twice that I can recall in some time.
    ...another reason to beat them handily

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I have a lingering concern that we'll continue operating like it's 2008-09 and never getting the backup QB any meaningful playing time. If we're up by 14 early on UTEP, we should be putting Thompson out there. Our defense shouldn't "need" Ehlinger to bail them out.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

Would be good. Next three of Tech, TCU, and OU probably won't provide much backup time.

17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

NIL stuff at work
    Tyler Johnson gets credit for the background beat

18. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Rain,

You want a score like Akers put up when the starters were out of pads in the first half, and at the end of the game two freshman players were alternating at QB & WR?

Can you name those two freshmen taking turns playing QB as we drove down to the South endzone?

19. RainH2burntO

I have no idea without cheating via google, so I'll leave it for a more educated guesser.

A stab at one...
    Todd Dodge

20. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

If Dodge was one the other was probably Rob Moerschell or maybe Brent Duhon.

21. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Dodge and Bill Boy Bryant?

22. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Moerschell and McIvor?

23. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Les Koenig was a QB at Memorial

24. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

I've got LHN in the backside of the Woodlands (near Klein Oak HS) but not sure about hosting a watch party...

My concern about some of the traditional public venues is that they will be limited on space. Discussions on VSIN about this for Vegas as well since they ALSO are dealing with bars closed and capacity limits that also impacted sports book seating areas and even the ballroom watch venues (also a factor with the Derby).

The new normal is going to mean being creative...probably big screens in a backyard.

That being said...

TEXAS! :hookem::tower:

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. RainH2burntO

Sabre??

• Funny Funny x 1
  26. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

Sammy Ansley I think started the TCU game because Randy was hurt. I was at the UVA game, but I have no idea, so I'll guess Ansley.

:texasflag:

27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• poop poop x 4
  28. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Tailgating WILL be going on...maybe not on University grounds, but SOMETHING WILL be smoked...beyond UTEP.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  29. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

• poop poop x 2
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Free article from Inside Texas/Nahlin
    Gameplan: Weighing the upside and downside for the 2020 Longhorns - Inside Texas

" .... Everything is lining up along the same pattern that has defined Texas’ defensive cycles for the last decade.

In 2011 Texas plugged in a defensive line with Alex Okafor, Jackson Jeffcoat, and Kheeston Randall in front of a defensive backfield that included several multi-year veterans such as Manny Acho, Keenan Robinson, Blake Gideon, and Kenny Vaccaro. They climbed from ranking 26th in defensive FEI (it never got too bad under Will Muschamp) to 6th.

In 2012 they graduated many of those players and slowly retooled with younger players up until 2014. Then they hired Charlie Strong and he took charge of a defensive line with Cedric Reed, Malcom Brown, and Hassan Ridgeway backed by veterans such as Jordan Hicks, Steve Edmond, Mykkele Thompson, Quandre Diggs, and Duke Thomas. A combination of a strong defensive line, experienced backfield, and simplified schemes resulted in another top defensive unit. They went from finishing 23rd in defensive FEI in 2013 to 13th.

Texas had to rebuild that group in 2015 and 2016 with young recruits and by the time Todd Orlando took over in 2017 he was inheriting a defensive line with Poona Ford, Charles Omenihu, Malcolm Roach, and Breckyn Hager. The backfield included Malik Jefferson, DeShon Elliott, Kris Boyd, and Holton Hill, all guys who’d been getting their heads kicked in for multiple seasons. They jumped from 51st in defensive FEI all the way to 7th.

Three years later and once more Texas is heading into a season with a deep core of highly talented defensive linemen, a backfield stacked with veterans, and a new defensive coordinator emphasizing simplicity in year one. In 2019 they finished 54th in defensive FEI. Finishing in the top 25 this year would go a long ways toward securing a Big 12 title.

You’ll notice that in 2011, 2014, and 2017 when Texas had positive cycles on defense they didn’t have anything close to a senior Sam Ehlinger to maximize the season with a sturdy offense.

The best thing that could go right for the 2020 Longhorns would be Mike Yurcich working out how to empower Sam Ehlinger to overwhelm opponents with a versatile, tempo attack that generates explosive gains. Even if Texas can’t find a single, dominant deep threat receiver it’s still possible that between Ehlinger and Yurcich they could manufacture regular explosive gains by combining multiple packages, tempo, savvy distribution, and then hitting speed in space.

Josh Moore may or may not be capable of regularly beating man coverage against top defenses. But he may be very capable of housing a now screen or flying open down the seam against a team distracted by other concerns. Texas has lots of speedy skill athletes like Moore now that could be sporadically dangerous playing off more established threats...."

• Like Like x 5