Texas vs. UTEP

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Joe Fan, Sep 1, 2020.

1. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Good luck "policing" that.
    ....so dumb.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

3. RainH2burntO

Classless transactions?
    ...during tailgating??

4. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

By all rights this should be a "name your score" game for the Longhorns. The objectives should be (1) get the offense in sync early, (2) play agressive defense, (3) get the younger players and backups some real game experience, and (4) don't get any injuries. If the starters get any significant playing time in the second half, something went wrong.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

There are only going to be 67 teams playing D-1 football this season. So having a defensive unit ranked 25th in FEI means that they are slightly above average, or a group you would expect on a 7-3 or 6-4 team. I'm pretty sure that is not where the program needs to be with high dollar coordinators and a head coach that has already bilked us out of more than 20 million dollars.

But then again, you hire a couple of Power 5 coach's, don't be all that shocked when you get Power 5 results. The conference is a mess, OU is a shell of what they have been, but I don't think anyone on here thinks we have a 10-0 season coming up.

I want so much to be wrong. But when I look at Tom Herman I see Lane Kiffen. And when I think of the Sugar Bowl I hear Elizabeth Warren screeching "WE'RE BAACCCCKKKK!!!".

:texasflag::bevo:

• Like Like x 2
  6. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

Hadn't thought of a Lane Kliffen tie-in, but it is on a trend line for being true.

Acid test this year - either conference champs this year, or it's a wasted year.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Personally, I can see us going undefeated this season in spite of tom Herman.

• Agree Agree x 3
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  8. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

Poms, from your lips to Bevo's ears......

At 11-0, this team would be the CFP and racing the clock to score on the last play at Baylor would seem like a lifetime ago!

:texasflag::cowrose:

9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Yurcich --

"If teams play man and give you a shot to go downfield you have to be aggressive."

• Like Like x 2
  10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Something from IT on Adimora --

He’s different. He had a tooth knocked out in August and it messed up his jaw. He had to have surgery on the jaw. He was back out the next day ready to go.”

• Like Like x 1
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Schedule

Tuesday — Full pads, 1st and 2nd down prep

Wednesday — Helmets and shoulder pads, 3rd down and red zone prep

Thursday — Helmets and spiders pads (light shoulder pads), clean up and reps of everything regarding game install. The staff will use Thursdays to see what should and should not remain in the game plan. If the players are struggling with a concept it gets scrapped

Friday — The return of Family Friday. The staff tries to find the right mix of remaining loose but getting work done. They’ll have fun activities designed for them to come together as units and as a team. They’ll do walk-throughs including special teams and all the various personnel packages

Saturday — mock game consisting of around 30 snaps. Fast but it won’t be to the ground. Two minute drill/red zone/goal line.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Ta’Quon Graham turned an ankle, which pushed Alfred Collins to the first team for several practices -- they say he is quick for his size and plays with low pads for that size.

13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

True freshman Dajon Harrison opted out of the season

14. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

On this one I'm going to have to disagree with you poms. TH coached teams always find a way to lose to a team they should dominate. The only uncertainty is who that team will be.

Will the new coordinators change that? They're going to have to prove it too me first.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
    • Hot Hot x 1
  16. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Kid has great hands. We need to offer him a scholarship right now. He'll be the first recruit in 2035.
    "Train up a child in the way he should go"

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Jordan Shipley's college roommate will welcome him to his team.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Good grief if Colt has a son, these two play together at DKR... as much as I’d love that- I would have to mute my TV set for the first five minutes of every game...
    “Colts Dad and Jordan’s Dad were college roommates” I heard that 60 times... and 40 were from Musberger

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Interesting comparison. There are similarities.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

In the LHN recap show of the 2008 season, Shipley and McCoy say this same thing essentially. They got tired of hearing about it to the point where they almost separated as roommates.

21. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

Don't get fooled into thinking that all the talk between the play by play guy, and the color (washed up ex-jock) commentator is spontaneous free talk.

It's a script. It's written before the game, usually by staff members, to fill up the 2 hours and 10 minutes of non-play, non ad time of a game. No human can talk that long, off the top of his head, and make it sound remotely interesting.

The writers give the announces a script of things to talk about - game histories, coaching stories, player stories, heartwarming stories of battling back from incalculable odds, etc., and the producer tells them via their headset when to go with what part of the script.

There's just not that much to talk about each week, so the same stories, some true, many false, get repeated from one game day script to the next.

It's like when you write a technical procedure what do you do - start from scratch? As if! You get the last procedure and copy it, and change it as you go. For football games, when Texas plays Tech at the end of the season, the writers take the script from when Texas played TCU early on, and just change what they need for that game.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I'll have to admit this, my hopes are riding high on the new coordinators/coaches and that key players stay healthy.
    Thanks duck. I didn't realize it, but I'm sure you are right. There were times when I had to turn off the volume during games when the announcers were promoting propaganda rather than football.

23. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

I noticed the UTEP RB in the SFA game is a beast.

24. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Was he a beast because it was SFA?

IMO, this game was not much of a yardstick for UTEP. SFA won 3 games last season and those 3 wins were against weak teams.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  25. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

The guy is a quality football player #33. He is RS Freshman. Reminds me a little like Ivan Williams.

• Hot Hot x 2
  26. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

I fully expect to see a highly competitive game that comes down to just 7 or 8 key touchdown plays by Texas.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  27. LAGA4

LAGA4 500+ Posts

Good point about not that much to talk about.

That's why sports talk radio is so bad. Sports talk radio seem to be where the law of supply and demand breaks down, way to much air time and not enough to talk about. Every once in a while I will tune in to a Sports talk show and they are talking about food, music, movies or some other non sports related topic. And to make it worse usually the host thinks what they say is so funny, or have a sarcastic comment that they think is so clever.

I guess companies pay for the adds because there seems to be a lot of sports radio.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  28. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Yea, I can't listen anymore.
    The airtime is filled with BS about what the "announcers" did over the weekend, how hung over they are, music they listen to, blah, blah, blah.
    Oh yea, they throw in a little sports here and there.
    I liked Rod Babers for the most part.

• Agree Agree x 4
  29. RainH2burntO

SFA was once a decent program for their size. If I am not mistaken they have been weathering penalties/sanctions that have set the program waay back

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. duff_man

duff_man 250+ Posts

I couldn't find anything on the other social media outlets, but when is this week's depth chart coming out?