TEXAS vs Washington 2022 Alamo Bowl (Pre-Game)

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Godz40acres, Dec 26, 2022.

1. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I like not one costumed mascot.
    Bevo very very cool.
    The CO Buffalo- good.
    USC Roman on the white steed- greatness

The absolute worst is the Syracuse Orange… or that Stanford Christmas Tree.

I won’t even discuss the Dallas Cowboy Rowdy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  2. HTownBevo

HTownBevo 250+ Posts

Ramping up to game day! The highlights got me feeling good. Big game for QE. If he’s the guy - it should show in this game. Looking forward to Bevo Day, the last one for 2022.

3. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Can't post a poll inside of a thread, so use the "Agree" [​IMG] or "Disagree" [​IMG]

Ewers will complete more than 50% of his passes vs UDub.

• Agree Agree x 10
  4. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

The part I remember most was, after we'd come back from 36-17 to lead 40-36, Washington drove right back down to the field and went back ahead, 43-40, with about a minute and half remaining. I wasn't sure if we had anything left in the tank to come back at them again after we'd spent all that energy gaining the lead the first time, but then the camera cut to Major looking completely focused and determined - seemingly completely oblivious to all the noise and hoopla. At that moment I knew we were going to win.

Simms definitely had an awful first half and maybe we do win if Major starts, but then again, Simms had played well all season outside of the OU game (and looking at the entire 2000-2004 period in which Major, Simms, Mock, and Vince looked inept against them, I think it was more of a Mack problem; after all, they'd win in 2002 in spite of Hybl playing even worse) so why would he have been suddenly benched before the title game against a team he'd beaten 41-7 the first time?

And Major's comeback has gotten slightly overblown over the years. He did throw an 80 yard TD to BJ Johnson right away after coming in, just before halftime, but then we didn't score another offensive TD until we finally marched down the field with short passes against prevent while down two scores and got into the endzone when it was too late to likely matter.

And I do find it amusing that Simms first half against Colorado and Major's first half against Washington were actually pretty similar (3 interceptions including a pick-6). Not sure what our team drank at halftime of that bowl game, but it clearly worked.

On a final note, I feel bad for Rod Babers. In both the 2001 CU game and the 2002 OU game, he had a long interception return for a touchdown but we still lost both games. He's obviously pretty well known for his radio stuff already but if we'd won either or both of those, his pick returns would have gone down in Texas history.

• Like Like x 3
  5. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Mack Brown and staff got better each year managing the two halves differently especially with 2nd half adjustments.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  6. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

The San Antonio Marriott Rivercenter showing some Texas hospitality

marriott-alamo.jpg

• Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Damn I HATE not being there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I guess they pull it out of the attic every year - sigh.

• Funny Funny x 5
  9. Chinstrap

Chinstrap 1,000+ Posts

Maybe they want to win their last game for their school. Loyalty and love for their teammates. (When college days are gone it will never be as much fun.) Or, nobody going pro?

Texas needs a good running game for ball control against a high profile passing game, without top running backs. Advantage WU?
    Texas needs a big pass rush to help a weak secondary against a good passing team, without their top front seven defender. Advantage WU?

Good analysis?

10. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Nah. We have Brooks, K. Robinson, Blue.
    They don't have to have Heisman stats. Just move the chains.
    We should be fine.

Nah. The main LB name I heard called the last couple of games was Ford. He's playing. Gbenda is an experienced backup to Overshown.

11. bishophorn

bishophorn 500+ Posts

Totally agree we will be fine with JB, KR and Blue in the running game but the huge question will be filling the loss of Overshown. But not so sure if Dorsey and Gbenda can fill his shoes. No question Ford will show up but it takes two linebackers to succeed , not one.

12. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

As always, I want and expect the Horns to win. But I’ll watch this game to see what we can expect next year. I’m hopeful we see Malik and others down the depth chart get some significant playing time even if it jeopardizes a win.

• Like Like x 1
  13. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I am watching this game primarily as a preview to next year.

14. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

I was at the 2001 B12 champ game and also at the Holiday Bowl. At the B12 champ game, there were 2 CU fans next to me. After Simms' 2nd interception, or maybe it was his 3rd, one CU guy turns to the other and says, "If they put in Applewhite we are screwed." Everyone could see it but MB until it was too late.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. HoffHorn

HoffHorn 500+ Posts

Growing up in Dallas, I saw many a Cowboy game at that stadium and like you I was at the Big 12 championship game vs. Colorado and after the absolute meltdown by Chris Simms and when Applewhite hit “I think BJ Johnson” on that TD I had NEVER heard Texas Stadium that loud. We blew the top off that place! Unfortunately Andre Gourde and that Colorado offensive line was just too much! We could not get a stop!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Mac blew it by rushing the punter with just a couple of minutes left in the game and getting a penalty and giving the buffs a first down. They weren't stopping us either and we were about to get the ball back.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Like Like x 1
  18. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

Mchammer, Some years it stays in the attic.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  19. EDT

EDT 1,000+ Posts

The Horns are in SA
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  20. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

• Like Like x 2
  21. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I thought X's answer was the right one. Why were people complaining about it?

Godz :hookem:
    Thank you. I think they are ready
    I was impressed with the depth that Dplayers showed . Confident and big picture view

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2022
  22. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  23. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

I have to admit some trepidation about tonight, I just don't have a good feeling and really hope I am wrong. Its been a great December recruiting wise and nothing that happens tonight changes the fact that Texas improved this year and is recruiting well enough to keep on improving but dang nine wins and a season ending bowl victory sure would be a great way to end year.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  24. cnb

cnb 5,000+ Posts

IMO this come down to who really wants to be at the Alamo Bowl, Coach K and Gary P have had a month to come up with a scheme..If they stick with the zone the Huskies will go crazy and could run us out of San Antonio.
    They can no longer use the excuse they are young, they are going to have to bring the house and trust some guys to play man to man...
    The best way to beat a passer is to keep him off the field and to do that we have to run the football and avoid the three and outs

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  25. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

26. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  27. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

That UDub article called us Longhorn fans "ridiculous ".:cow:

• poop poop x 1
  28. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

29. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

IIRC the amount spent were in line with amounts other schools spent recruiting 5 stars.
    I don't know about NIL money but I don't think that would be an overwhelming factor to the Mannings

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Alamo Bowl Highlights in Español

INTERCEPTADO!