Texas vs West Virginia

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by Malcom, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Our second quarter ineptitude continues to show up. And, we just don't have that one player who has been able to take over a game offensively when we need them. Ariel is the one player who could do that based on experience and skill; but, she is struggling.

Way too many empty possessions in this game. And, playing a game where we aren't scoring in the 70's means we allowed the opponent to dictate the pace of the game.

Charlie Crème was just interviewed on ESPN about his bracket. He has Stanford moving up the #8 seed overall "due to Texas' loss". Not sure if that means he has us the #9 seed overall (and in UConn's region). Really hope we are #10-12. We can't be in Baylor's region, so depending on the Bears' #2 or #3 seed, that could affect our seed, as well.

2. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

A few commentators the last few weeks have been saying that the committee will not put Texas in UConn's region, just because they've been there the last two years. But, if it happens it's deserved, IMO. We haven't played well enough in the last couple of weeks to avoid that.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

We'll find out in a week. I think the committee has more important priorities than "helping" Texas avoid UConn.

What makes the committee's job more difficult is trying to avoid placing teams (among the top 16 national seeds) from the same conference in the same region. So that means tweaking the bracket a bit to accomplish that for the following teams:

ACC: Notre Dame, FSU, Duke, and Louisville
    PAC: Oregon State, Stanford, Washington, and UCLA
    SEC: South Carolina, MSU, and Kentucky
    Big12: Baylor and Texas
    Big10: Maryland and Ohio State

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  4. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

That was so disappointing to lose.That was not Texas best effort at all.
    I was very surprise we were not ready to play for 40 minutes.

• Like Like x 2
  5. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

I was so disappointed to see we lost. I missed the game. What happened? Hopefully they'll replay it.

6. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

We're obviously not playing our best right now. But WVU was great. They played an outstanding game and either team could have won. Martin is something else. I don't agree that Baylor will beat them by 40. It's possible, if WVU can't sustain their effort of the last two games, but I expect them to hang with Baylor pretty well.

Seems to me we are playing at about a 3 or even 4 seed level right now. We have so many losses. I guess this is the only one to a non-ranked team. Our only really outstanding win is the one against Baylor in Waco. But I don't mind getting expectations down and coming in more as an underdog. I really think all those awards may not have been a good thing. It's obviously bad timing for Brooke, Ariel, and Holmes to all be having shooting issues, but that can be contagious in basketball. And, hey, they may get their mojo back quickly. I don't mind not playing Baylor tomorrow. Who knows, we may meet them again in the Final 4.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Our worst losses were to ISU and WVU; but, their wins over us got them into the tourney.

Our wins over Baylor and FSU are very good wins.

We weren't the only potential #2-3 seed who lost prior to their championship game. FSU and Washington lost in the quarterfinals. UCLA and Ohio State are most likely #4 seeds who lost, as well.

8. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

Charlie Creme just predicted Texas out of a 2 seed. A 3 seed is fine with me. Would be nice to be an underdog!

• Like Like x 1
  9. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

I'm sure this PAC 12 game might have an impact. I'm excited to watch this, as I don't have the Pac12 network, and hardly ever get to see their games.

10. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Based on Duke and Stanford making the finals of their tourneys, I could see:

#1 UConn
    #8 Stanford
    #9 Duke (or Texas)
    #16 DePaul, Ohio State, or Kentucky

That accomplishes having a PAC and ACC team in the regional, which pretty much has to be the case in each regional.

Stanford ahead of us makes sense as they do have a win over us. Not too familiar with Duke's body of work, so we could easily be #9, as well.

Could have A&M in our sub-regional as a #6 seed.

11. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

After losing four of our last six games, a #3 seed is the best we should expect.

• Like Like x 1
  12. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

Of anyone missed the game it is on now. Fox sport.

13. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

Why doesn't Coach call time out? 2nd qtr 6 min to go we're falling apart and no TO.

14. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

They were not ready to play for the first TWENTY minutes. They gave the game away in the second quarter.

15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

6 assists in the game is not good team basketball. Heard Coach A say something in the post-game radio interview about not playing team basketball.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Scamp

Scamp 100+ Posts

Interesting observation. I remember Kim saying, a few years ago, that ESPN was pressuring women's teams to play out-of-conference games on Big Monday during conference play. That leads to schedule disruption, fatigue, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  17. txex1986

txex1986 < 25 Posts

I think there is a correlation between our poor showing the past 6 games and the " over crowding" of our schedule, especially at the end. Hopefully, with a week or so off they can get rested and refocus.

• Like Like x 1
  18. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

As much as I love this team, it is a flawed one. Nothing sinister with that though as there are many of those in the top 16 or so. At the top of my list is another 3 point shooter. I am cautiously optimistic that Patterson will fill that role next year. It will be critical for Sutton and Holmes to work on that as well. Aston will need to find a perimeter defensive stopper to replace Taylor. So next years team should be so much better. But that is next year. This year can still be an elite 8 or perhaps Final Four team. Playing round robin plus tourney allows teams to figure out your weaknesses. Beating West Virginia soundly twice and then losing points that up. It will be interesting if tourney teams can take advantage of our weaknesses and visa versa. It really is about match ups.......does the next team have the personnel and coaching to do it. It will be fun to watch.

19. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

I love the Talented Player's,Texas is getting.
    But is the Coaching improving.
    K.Aston remind me of Jody coaching style.
    That's not going to work in 2017.

• Like Like x 1
  20. RBarabino

RBarabino 25+ Posts

Jody was an X's and O's coach.
    Especially on defense.

Aston is still more known for her recruiting than her coaching.

However, she is progressing.

• Like Like x 1
  21. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

She does exactly what Jody did.
    Man to Man Defense.
    Never switch up anything.
    It's not hard to scout Texas.

• Like Like x 1
  22. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

This is a true statement... We are THE most predictable team in the Big 12, and probably the most predictable of the higher ranked teams as well.

• Like Like x 1
  23. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

I noticed the player's shots look off.
    I hope they are not still lifting weights.

• Like Like x 1
  24. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

There is a fine line between scheduling tough and overscheduling. There is no doubt in my mind we did the later. There are certain leagues where a tough out of conference during your conference schedule makes sense. The Big 12 is NOT one of those leagues. It's a battle night in and night out, you never get a night off, and the last place team is as capable as a team in the top half of the league of an upset. Just dumb to have that FSU game and we should have said no.

I too hope these two weeks off get us re-energized and refocused. We will not advance to the regional weekend if McCarty and Atkins don't get back on track.

• Like Like x 2
  25. RBarabino

RBarabino 25+ Posts

I understand what you are saying, but most of the top teams 99.9% of the time play man to man defense.
    Rarely will you see many of them switch to a zone.

My problem with our team isn't so much the defense as it is the offense.
    That is where we severely lack creativity.

• Like Like x 1
  26. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

Playing a tough non conference schedule has nothing to do with this team not playing well. If you look at the last two weeks the majority of the struggles were on the offensive side of the floor. This team is just not a good perimeter jump shooting team outside of Brooke. They also don't have a post player that can score with their back to the basket in the paint closer to the rim or get fouled and go to the free throw line when their jump shots predictably don't go in. That's why this team struggles so much offensively at times and has long scoring droughts every game.

27. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

No one is saying that our schedule back in November & December is why we look tired in March. That is absurd. The non-conference component to our conference schedule IMO has everything to do with us not playing well. Rather than take the week off like OU did, we were jetting off to Tallahassee and going to double overtime with FSU. A game in which our point guard played the full 50 minutes and hasn't looked sharp since. I think the loss to OU started us not playing well and being unable to finish off games. That loss was directly attributable to playing FSU rather than spending the week getting ready for the 3rd place team in our conference.

Shots clanking rim rather than going in is a very common symptom of tired legs. I agree with you we don't have anyone scoring or wanting to score with their back to the basket. That said when we're knocking down shots the offense looks better, if you doubt me I suggest watching the Baylor game in Waco. We are a different team when Atkins and McCarty's shots are falling.

• Like Like x 2
  28. skilled

skilled 25+ Posts

Conference play is long and tiring. Almost all Big 12 teams hit a wall at some point when the team is tired. It's up to the coach to pull the players through this. A non-conference game in the middle of conference shouldn't have happened. Between our hard non-conference and conference games, it's not a wonder that our girls are tired! This is a coaching issue and not a team issue.

• Like Like x 1
  29. TagHorns

TagHorns 250+ Posts

I agree completely! You can't rely solely on one player especially in post season play. We needed another player or two to step up because these teams know what we are doing.... Give the ball to Brooke and hope Holmes is on. They just need to cover them and there we are just like any other team. (That's what they are thinking, not me). I know we can come back from this mess. Sometimes shots just don't fall. Your team HAS to be more than just 1-2 players. Aston has to believe in some of these other players and help Brooke out. In the past few years there has always been different leaders at each game. If someone was "off", someone else stepped up.

• Like Like x 1
  30. TagHorns

TagHorns 250+ Posts

Agree with this also. Wondering if the awards that were recently given caused more of a "me" type team. 6 assists for the game? Wow!