Texas WBB: International Women of Mystery

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by DFW_Horn, Jun 20, 2017.

1. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Streaming on:
    https://m.youtube.com/fiba?uid=tInrnU3QbWqFGsdKT1GZtg

Saturday, July 22

Preliminary Rounds
    USA vs. Mali
    11:30 a.m. CT
    Udine, Italy

Sunday, July 23
    Preliminary Rounds
    USA vs. China
    11:00 a.m. CT
    Cividale del Friuli, Italy

Tuesday, July 25
    Preliminary Rounds
    USA vs. Italy
    1:45 p.m. CT
    Udine, Italy

2. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Sug and Joyner dominating for US in the first half vs Mali. Sug leads all scorers with 12 and at least 4 assists. Joyner has the game high in rebounds as well as 9 points. Favorite sequence was a block by Joyner that Sug grabbed, Joyner went sprinting up the court and Sug hit her with an on-the-button 3/4 court pass for the easy layup.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  3. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Final: US 95, Mali 58.
    Sug led all players with 19 pts. Joyner had 9 pts, 10 rebounds (game high) and 4 assists (tied for game high). Neither played much in the 4th quarter but were 1-2 in player efficiency.

• Like Like x 5
  4. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I just checked out the UConn board. It's cool to see a couple of posters talking about Sutton and how impressive she was. Joyner, too, but I don't think people know who Sutton is. I didn't see the game, but if she can play like she did today, we are in for a treat this year.

• Like Like x 6
  5. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  6. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

For those who have been following/watching, is Sutton playing PG or SG ?

Have to admit I am pleasantly surprised by her offensive output.

7. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

In the game yesterday she was playing SG.

8. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Team USA has been starting 3 PGs - Dangerfield, Sug and Chennedy Carter. Dangerfield is usually the one who initiates the offense.

9. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Next USA game is at 11:00 vs China.

For anyone interested in seeing Laeticia Amihere (mentioned recently in one of the recruiting threads), she's on the Canadian team playing France right now - 3rd quarter.

10. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

DFW did you watch the Canada game? If so, any thoughts on Amihere?

11. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

12. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I only saw a large portion of the second half. She's very long and athletic but sat some time due to foul trouble. Displayed a couple of nice post moves. The French player usually guarding her was being pretty physical and she was giving as good as she got. It would be really interesting to see where Texas is on her radar.

• Like Like x 1
  13. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

In the first half of the China game, Dangerfield (UConn) had it going. Looked great at point. Sug playing hard, but over eager on the shooting, to me, shooting nearly every time she touches it, which is fine if they're going in but they mostly are not so far. Joyner looked incredible the short time she was in. Doing it all. More athletic by far than Bella Alarie, who is getting most of the time at the post. I don't get why Joyner isn't on the floor more. Any impressions from you anyone else who is watching?

14. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Unlike yesterday, Sug really struggled (1/8) on several open looks. Joyner not starting has me puzzled as well. Yesterday she came in early in the 1st and played almost all of the 2nd and 3rd quarters. After she left early in the 2nd today I don't think she got back in the game until well into the 4th. Even with those limited minutes (15:30), she had 14 pts (tied for game high), 9 rebounds (tied for game high) and the second highest player efficiency. Alarie was much better today than yesterday but you're right, she doesn't bring as much to the table as Joyner does.

Another thing I've noticed in these first 2 games: if Joyner is in the game and the US is inbounding the ball at their own end, the play is drawn up to get the ball directly to her. Her speed and quickness make her unguardable coming off a single screen. She's caught at least 3 in the air and put the layup in before touching the ground.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  15. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I understand that Joyner is "suspended", and that she is not listed on the Texas roster as she won't be at UT in the Fall.

But, for TexasSports to write an article about her performance with USA basketball and refer to her as "Texas sophomore, Joyner Homes" is kind of hypocritical. Either put her on the roster, or don't make those references. You can't have it both ways.

http://www.texassports.com/news/201...m-improves-to-2-0-with-win-against-china.aspx

16. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Surreptitiously watched the USA-Italy game that just finished at work. Final USA 66, Italy 49. Boy, an ugly game. Joyner was a beast on the boards (14), scored 9 points and was second in player efficiency for the 3rd straight game. Sug struggled again (0/5) but so did Dangerfield, 4/17 for 11 points.

• Like Like x 1
  17. "Anna hook em"

"Anna hook em" 250+ Posts

They play again against Puerto Rico i bowl on wednesday but will keep up with game on twitter!! I believe that we will win on Coach Karen Astons birthday!!

18. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

If you have the ability to watch - game starts in a few minutes.

19. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Sug bounced back in a 104-46 US win vs PR. 5-6 from the floor (2-2 from 3) for 12 points. Joyner's number were good (13 pts and 11 boards) but she could have finished with 20-25 points if she hadn't missed a few putbacks off offensive boards, she shot 5-14 on the day (most of those misses were at the rim - she seemed to be rushing a bit).

upload_2017-7-26_15-55-5.png

• Like Like x 2
  20. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Fantastic for Sug. Joyner good, too, but those misses down low are painful.

• Like Like x 2
  21. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Schedule for next month's Italy trip has been finalized:
    • Aug. 11 – Depart Austin
    • Aug. 12 – Arrive Rome
    • Aug. 14 – Game 1 TK Hannover (Germany), 12 p.m. CT, Rome)
    • Aug. 15 – Arrive Florence
    • Aug. 16 – Game 2 FSG Academy (Holland), 11:30 a.m. CT, Ponte Buggianese)
    • Aug. 17 – Arrive Venice
    • Aug. 19 – Arrive Lake Como
    • Aug. 19 – Game 3 Basket Costa (Italy) 11:30 a.m. CT, Costa Masnaga)
    • Aug. 21 – Depart Italy, Arrive Austin

22. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

What a fantastic trip. UConn women's team seems to be making a trip to Italy about the same time. Wonder if they are playing the same teams.

23. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Sug with the nice fadeaway off the rebound:

• Like Like x 2
  24. LutherIsMyDog

USA beat Japan 73-66 in the semi-final game. Sug left in the 3Q with an injury and did not return but it does not look serious. Next up, the gold medal game with Russia.

Chennedy Carter has been very impressive. She'll be a good one for A&M. I did not follow her recruitment closely, but it never seemed like she was very interested in Texas.

25. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

The US coach did not rotate in nearly as many players as she had been. Joyner did not play much - not sure if there's a story there.

Re: the Japan game - was anyone else's coverage screwed up by ESPN? I got a 'Game has not yet started' message until well into the 2nd quarter.

26. LutherIsMyDog

Yes, my feed kept freezing. I believe the streaming was delayed because they were showing the Canada Russia game.

IMO, Joyner looked tired - sluggish in the 4Q. The announcers mentioned that both the Japan and US players looked tired. They said that this was the late game (maybe 10pm or after) and that might be a reason for their lack of energy.

For those of you that have watched more of the games, has Chistyn Williams played much? I haven't read anything about her during this trip.

27. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

She hadn't gotten much time outside of mopup. She did get hot at the end of the game vs PR and hit 3-4 shots in row including 2 threes. After one of them right in front of the US bench, Sug and Joyner were the first to jump up off the bench and were right on the sideline screaming as she turned and headed to the other end.

• Like Like x 1
  28. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

DFW Horn and others could speak about this much better than me, since I haven't seen much from these games, but I do look at the box scores. Joyner has not had great minutes overall and never started. The coach did brag on her against France. From what I have seen, I can't get a good feel for what this coach wants. Sug has had a great tourney overall. Scored well, gotten good minutes, started a lot. Christyn Williams --- not a great performance, and not many minutes. I didn't see the hot streak against PR. We should remember she is the youngest on the team.

• Like Like x 1
  29. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

The things I wrote above are mostly wrong. I looked at the cumulative statistics which someone has posted on the UConn board. Joyner and Sug both got about 18 minutes a game on average. Sug shot about 40% from the floor, and Joyner about 45%. The top scorer was Chennedy Carter, then Ruthy Hebard (Oregon?), then Joyner. Joyner was the top rebounder on the team. Ruthy Hebard, a post, had the top shooting percentage at 60%. The things I think I got right above --- I don't believe Joyner ever started, and Christyn Williams did not get a lot of minutes or have a great tournament.

• Like Like x 1
  30. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

As much as Hebard played against Japan (almost 33 minutes) with a short turnaround to the championship game, I would not be surprised to see Joyner register quite a few minutes against Russia and their talented front court Sunday.

• Like Like x 1