Texas WBB: International Women of Mystery

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by DFW_Horn, Jun 20, 2017.

1. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Halftime USA 42-36.

• Like Like x 1
  2. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Russia wins 86-82. Joyner had the worst game I've seen her play: 1 of 8 from the field (all layups), 2/4 at the FT line. Sug was really good - 11 points and shut down one of Russia's best shooters in the second half. After Kurilchuk made back to back 3s in the 3rd quarter, US HC put Sug on her telling Sug not to let her get open. I'm not exaggerating - she never touched the ball at the offensive end of the court for the rest of the game.

Missed layups by everyone cost U.S. the gold medal. Should have won by 8-10 points.

• Like Like x 1
  3. LutherIsMyDog

LutherIsMyDog 1,000+ Posts

Ugh..I didn't get to watch the game so thanks for the recap. On the UConn board, they mentioned that the US did not have anyone who could guard the Russian post players and the post players were the difference in the game. They were also frustrated that the USA coach did not seem to make any adjustments. Joyner's missed layups were also a point of discussion at the Boneyard.

I'm glad Sug had a good game. She certainly has gained great experience. Hope she's ready to come home and pack her bag with burnt orange and fly back to Italy.

4. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

They didn't win but it should be a good learning experience for both Joyner and Sug. This is the last real structured games that Joyner will play in a while so her being able to play in this was very important. Also, because Sug didn't get a lot of playing time last year this should give her confidence and she should be ready to have a great year for Texas.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

I didn't see the game, so am just reacting to the numbers here and to the Uconn board. For all Joyner's great strengths, reliable shooting is not really one of them. To me, sometimes her layups look rushed, sometimes they look like they have too much spin. I have always thought she should go up higher on the backboard. It seems like she's often trying to spin it in. I always hoped for Carter. I don't know if it was a lack of interest on her part, on ours, or what, but she sounds really great. We don't play A&M much, but will be fun to go against her with our great guards at some point.

• Like Like x 1
  6. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I think the layups thing is more of a basketball-wide issue, cannot count the number of breakaway bunnies missed over the course of last season when players released the ball from chest level. I'm going to sound like a 'get off my lawn' oldster but basics are not emphasized as players get older. It used to be primarily a men's game problem but it has been spreading to the women's game in recent years.

7. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Couldn't agree more.

8. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  9. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  10. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

11. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Texas WBB state that if Ariel, Brooke, or Jatari make team USA, they will be headed to Japan instead of with the team to Italy.

I suppose it depends on the college coaches since both Connecticut and Duke players will be unable to go to Japan instead they'll travel with their college teams abroad.

I like this photo of Brooke guarding Ariel:

• Like Like x 1
  12. UTFORLIFE

UTFORLIFE 25+ Posts

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-wilson-headlines-us-under-23-team/104295144/
    Ariel made the team and Brooke did not. Ariel played all but one minute in the championship game earlier today and ran point guard a lot. Brooke was a bit overmatched by the guards who were in the training because most of the point guards were attack first and scored 20+ppg last season. Ariel was by far the best player on the court throughout much of the training camp.

• Like Like x 5
  13. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

I'm certainly looking forward to Ariel taking that All-American step during her senior season.

It was a deep pool of players to select from.

I'm surprised that Team USA will have 4 post players on the roster for an international tournament and makes one wonder what happened at Tennessee with so much talent with Russell, Nared, and Diamond Deshields, though I have my suspicions.

14. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

With Ariel making the team it will give the youngsters at G quite a few more minutes. Not surprised about Ariel, I read several quotes over the past 3 days describing her jumper as lethal, especially coming off screens, and causing all manners of mayhem on defense.

15. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Does anyone know if these games are available to see anywhere online? I will try usab.com. Congrats to Ariel. She must have had a great tourney. Brooke and Jatarie are in good company. It was basically the best 36 (?) players in the country. From reading the scores, it looked like Brooke's team had trouble winning any games, in spite of having such players at Kalani Brown, Katie Lou Samuelson, and I believe Nared from Tennessee. I wonder if the chemistry wan't there or what.

16. UTFORLIFE

UTFORLIFE 25+ Posts

I watched the early games on passthaball's instagram live. The championship games were broadcasted on usab.com website. Brooke just had some Tough matchups. With so many scoring talents that are just bigger than her it was just a lot to deal with. Ariel was the focal point of her team and the entire offense was ran through her. She probably 10 assist in the championship game . Would love to see Texas make her the focal point of the offense this season, but if she can't stay out of foul trouble that will never happen.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

You hit the nail on the head! Ariel can't stay out of foul trouble! Coach KA sure wanted her to get more minutes but before the end of Q1 she would have 2 fouls and inevitably she would get the third foul in the early minutes of Q3. She has the potential to be first team All American! I'm sure the opposing Coachs know her weakness and Coach accordingly.

18. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Congrats to Ariel.

Yes, her early foul trouble throughout her career at Texas has a huge impact on the team, especially offensively.

This coming Fall, my opinion is that she will need to move from SG to SF, especially with Joyner not around. Perhaps that will help her avoid early foul trouble as most SF's are slower than SG's. Honestly, you would think Coach A would talk to her about not playing such tight defense early in the game until she gets a feel for how the officials will be calling the game. Maybe she has. I know we've had these discussions/arguments on here before, but when a player has a habit of picking up two quick fouls in the game, as a coach, you have to pull them off the floor after the first foul; doesn't have to be for the rest of the half, obviously, but just to have them calm down a bit and think about what it will mean if they pick up a quick second foul.

• Like Like x 2
  19. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Surely Karen must have talked to Ariel about this a lot, but for whatever reason, Ariel hasn't been able to make the change very often. Must be a deeply ingrained defensive aggressiveness. I agree with Moooooo about coming out after the first foul. I hope for much improvement this year. Ariel sounds ready to go for a fantastic senior year.

• Like Like x 1
  20. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

The team getting a crash course on Italy before their trip. Very cool.

21. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts