Thank you, Craig Naivar

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by SabreHorn, Jan 1, 2020.

1. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

For stepping up and delivering one of the two finest defensive schemes and performances from a Longhorn defense in perhaps a decade. The loss of their leader could have caused several reactions including not showing up. Instead you rallied the troops and produced a smothering defense that I had hoped for all year. Great scheme, great calls, great performance, Coach. Well done and HOOK EM

:hookem2:

• Like Like x 18
    • Winner Winner x 10
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

And congrats to TH for keeping this team together and the Sr's all playing. Roach, Duv, CJ didn't need to play. But they all helped their draft stock. Duv made himself some money last night.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 6
  3. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Absolutely agree with @SabreHorn! Fantastic job by Craig Naivar!

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

And to the rest of the skeleton coaching crew, the seniors and graduate transfers who all chose not to sit out and to the entire team which did not slack nor surrender.

You all have a résumé stuffer and a lifetime memory.

• Like Like x 2
  5. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

Don't know all that caused this great defensive performance but have to believe he was the heart and soul of it....with this kind of performance, maybe he should have been given consideration for DC. Lots of emotion from him down to all players.!

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  6. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Amen to all sentiments expressed, sooooooooooooo proud of those guys!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  8. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I don't know that Duv improved his position with scouts cause he's been making plays like those all season, nothing new. First round level draft pick IMO. If I were a pro scout I didn't need that performance from him last night to prove anything. Duv is the real deal. Mr. Consistent.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Wow coaching has its perks.

10. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Just an overall wonderful, great game last night. Great start into the off season. Hopefully that will stimulate recruiting.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Completely agree. If you look at how Belichick and Brady have used Edelman and before him Welker, it seems like Duvernay is a can’t miss first rounder. He’s bigger, stronger and faster than either Edelman or Welker, and then there are his hands, and his durability. Did I mention his attitude and humility? It’s a pretty special package.

I think more than a few teams, mid/late in the first round, will be hoping that he’s available. It will be fascinating to see where he goes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Problem tho is that this draft is chock full of good receivers. I think he'll go second round.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. duff_man

duff_man 250+ Posts

Is his daughter single? Asking for a friend.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

He's from Taylor, you might catch her at the Cotton Club Friday night.

:beertoast:

15. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

16. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

I’m glad Naivar was given this opportunity and really pleased with the results. But what I don’t understand is where Ash was? He was already on staff as an analyst.ewhy couldn’t he have stepped in and taken the reigns. What am I missing?

17. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I've wondered the same thing and the only explanation is that he is tasked with putting his staff together.

18. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Not to take anything away from Craig Naivar, but I was kind of hoping Ash's fingerprints were on this defensive showing in at least an advisory fashion.
    That would allow me to believe that this kind of defense will continue into the next season. :)

19. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I believe it was a contract thing. All kinds of rules regarding how long the job is open; when someone can say yes; and who has the final approval of the contract. With a salary in excess of 500k I believe the Board of Regents has to approve.

• Like Like x 2
  20. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

what Viper said. they mentioned this during the game. rules etc.

21. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Thanks Viper, I suspected something of the sort. Like Moondog, I hope he still played a part in this defensive showing even if unofficially.

22. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

All I know is that we went from a defense that did nothing but bull rush out of a 3 man front, terrible angles, poor tackling technique, seldom kept gap integrity, etc... To a team that kept gap integrity even when stunting and blitzing, flowed to the ball under control, and used good angles to get to the ball. Don't care what kind of offense we face....If you play good fundamental football like we did you usually do well. My only question is WHY ? Why were we so B team 7th grade all season, then look like a sound team in what Tom said was 8 practices ? I don't care how good or bad Utah was..or injuries ( We had injuries that night and these back ups are college kids not jr high ).Fundamentally we were night and day after a few weeks of bowl practice....The coaching staff owes UT a refund on their pay checks for 12 weeks plus....Especially Orlando and crew.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  23. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

Not being in a 3 man front is fingerprint enough, as well as not stupidly blitzing from 12 yards off the LOS.
    Important things on defense is alignment, gap control, gap integrity, stay in rush lanes, pursuit angle, tackling. If you get a tackle for loss..cool, but your job is to stop them at the LOS. You move as ONE UNIT and take care of your position on the DL. LBs fill gaps and flow to the ball, and run through air. Pursue inside out and contain men turn things inside. Take everything on with your inside shoulder.If you do these things there is no where to run and no where to hide. Texas kinda looked like that vs Utah.

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

During interviews after the game one of the defensive players said they installed a whole new system before the bowl game.
    That led me to believe Ash was at least passing notes to someone. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. DKRoyal fan

DKRoyal fan 100+ Posts

I personally think the exceptional play was a combination of several things. Along with a good dose of input from Chris Ash (by the way, I'm proud to say that he's from my home state...Iowa), as well as extra time to prepare, and more importantly, time to lick our wounds and get well. Of course I have liked Coach Naivar since seeing him on Coach Herman's show and am glad for him.

Hook em

• Like Like x 1
  26. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

"That is my job interview" Craig Naivar

27. BurntOrangeLH

BurntOrangeLH 2,500+ Posts

Naw, I think it was all Naivar. NCAA rules prohibited him from coaching players. But he could talk to coaches.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  28. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Yea, I was inferring he talked to coaches.
    Not "passing notes" to players. ;)

• Agree Agree x 4
  29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• poop poop x 1
  30. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Naivar is rumored to be heading to Tech with Todd Orlando!

See the Coaching News and Rumors for Other Teams thread.

• Like Like x 1