Thank You Vets

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by NEWDOC2002, Nov 11, 2010.

1. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

Our freedoms to discourse, complain and [​IMG] on the WM are due to our military veterans, living and deceased. A huge "Thank you" is due.

A story of great sacrifice despite a controversial war.

Washington Post

Hook 'em Vets!

2. Namewithheld

Namewithheld 2,500+ Posts

Thank you to all the Vets both still living/passed on and those that gave their lives for this Country in combat. We salute you! [​IMG]

Also a shout out to my Dad who is 81 and a retired Colonel USA!

3. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

NewDoc
    Great Thread.
    My favorite expression is. The Land of the Free because of the Brave. [​IMG]

name
    you might want to correct what you posted, it is true many Vets have gotten pasted but I don't think that is what you meant

4. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

5. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Those of us who have served render a sharp salute to those who followed us and are now protecting our nation around the world. [​IMG]

HHD (Lt Col, USAF, Ret) [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Horn2Run

Horn2Run 1,000+ Posts

Peace time USAF vet here, served @ old Bergstrom. Thank you to all who served and fought under FAR more difficult circumstances than I ever had to. We owe you more than we could possibly pay back. [​IMG]

7. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Horn2run
    Your service and what your service meant, that you were willing to go whereever you were needed and do whatever was needed is no less deserving and no less appreciated. If you'd been asked to go anywhere in the world you would have gone.
    Thank you for your service.

I am glad to see more and more people seem to understand and appreciate what military service means.

8. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

America's Best and Bravest
    The Greatest Generation
    This was their finest hour

These powerful words still cannot match the sight of my 86 year old Mother putting her Gold Star Mother pin on her lapel. The Gold Star she was given when her first born shed his blood for his country in Southeast Asia. Ill, frail and now confined to a wheel chair, this is a day of great pride for her. Her baby boy, along with so many others in Arlington, who now belong to the ages. A million midnights ago.

[​IMG]

9. jmrob93

jmrob93 Guest

I was just trying to pay for college

A friend of mine in Basic training went to OBC then has gone onto a nice Army career. He is now a Colonel and was a Battalion commander in Iraq. Here is a snippet from a eulogy he gave when several soldiers in his unit were killed in Iraq at once

"It is still a natural human instinct to ask....But what did they die for? Wasn't it a waste?

There are several answers to that question but the most basic and simple is they died for us. They entered that house so you and I wouldn't have to.....
    I do not know where such men come from, except to say they are the kind of men who have made America great and will continue to preserve it."

for a full link---

blog.oregonlive.com/oregonatwar/2008/02/a_commanders_eulogy.html

happy veterans day

10. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

11. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Every time I think about US soldiers overseas, and the 18 and 19yo kids who are over there fighting, I hope and pray that they are not dying for the whims of polticians and that they are able to come back home in one piece and with their sanity intact.

12. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

2003-

Here is hoping that your prayers are answered.

13. TexasAirForce

TexasAirForce 25+ Posts