Thanksgiving pie problem

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by accuratehorn, Nov 18, 2011.

1. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

The pie stuck to the glass baking dish, so what is the solution?
    I made a test pie for Thanksgiving, and it was a chess pie. I bought the Pillsbury pre-made dough at the HEB.
    The instructions said not to "grease" the pie pan, but there was a "tip" to add some flour to the top and bottom of the crust if the pie was a sugary pie, so I did.
    The pie seemed edible, and tasted better the second day after being in the refrigerator. The only problem was the crust stuck badly to the glass pie plate.
    What should I have done differently? I may buy a Williams-Sonoma non-stick spray which is supposed to be a lot better than Pam cooking spray.
    Was this because it was a sugar-type pie? It baked at 350 for about 40 minutes.
    We will probably make our own pie dough for the actual day, but unless I do something different, it will also be glued to the pan.

2. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I don't bake anything with dough without coating the dish in butter first. Not a lot just grab a stick and coat it with a thin layer.

3. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

accurate,

I think the difference is the instructions said pie pan - implying metal - vs glass pie plate. I'd try rubbing the plate w/ a stick of butter as Vol suggested.

4. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

If you use glass, you need to grease it with butter.

5. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Apparently that is the answer, as I also asked at a Thanksgiving cooking class at Williams Sonoma, and the chef said use butter on the glass pie plate. Next time, butter. Thanks.

6. Burnt Orangeman

Burnt Orangeman 1,000+ Posts

maybe try a higher rack space in the oven