That is no such thing

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by THEU, Jul 8, 2011.

1. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

as a 'BBQ grill.' I get so tired of seeing HGTV shows, or reading about food blogs etc (on CNN.com especially) about how to bbq hamburgers or hotdogs or such for the Fourth of July etc.

Grilling is not BBQ and BBQ is not grilled.... most bass ackward thing around. These people are supposed to know something about food and cooking. Get it straight. TOTALLY different cooking methods.

2. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

While I understand and agree 100%, the misconception comes from people using the term BBQ in ways such as "Come on over, we're having a BBQ". The backyard BBQ is usually burgers and dogs. That's where these yahoos get this from.

It's either a grill or a pit. [​IMG]

3. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Unfortunately, the answer to that depends on where you live. In Texas, no question that is (or should be) the true definition. But I've heard people in other parts of the country debate that. If I were bored enough ( [​IMG]) I would go research the origin of the term and all that, but I'm not gonna do that. Let's just say philosophically I'm right there with ya!

4. OrngNugz

OrngNugz 500+ Posts

5. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

The mixing of the phrases frustrates me too, but I'm getting old enough to just say "f**k it" call it whatever you want and do what you want. Fwiw, I feel like BBQ just means heat applied to meat and then there is the distinction between grilling and smoking which are subsets of BBQ, but I'm not going to throw down if you want to say you are going to grill a brisket or smoke a steak. I used to bang my head against the wall trying to explain you can't impart smoke flavor to a steak in 5 minutes from "mesquite" coals, but it still comes down to call it whatever and do whatever. Just don't expect me to applaud a "smoked" steak or agree that you can impart more than the tiniest bit of smoke flavor to a good steak.

6. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

I think it depends where you are from:

From Wiki:

The origins of both the activity of barbecue cooking and the word itself are somewhat obscure. Most etymologists believe that barbecue derives ultimately from the word barabicu found in the language of both the Timucua of Florida and the Taíno people of the Caribbean, which then entered European languages in the form barbacoa. The word translates as "sacred fire pit."[2] The word describes a grill for cooking meat, consisting of a wooden platform resting on sticks.

Traditional barbacoa involves digging a hole in the ground and placing some meat (usually a whole goat) with a pot underneath it, so that the juices can make a hearty broth. It is then covered with maguey leaves and coal and set alight. The cooking process takes a few hours.

There is ample evidence that both the word and cooking technique migrated out of the Caribbean and into other languages and cultures, with the word (barbacoa) moving from Caribbean dialects into Spanish, then Portuguese, French, and English. The Oxford English Dictionary cites the first recorded use of the word in the English language in 1697 by the British buccaneer William Dampier.[3] However, it appears 25 years earlier in the published writings of John Lederer in the proper form, barbecue, following his travels in the American southeast in 1672.[4]

Samuel Johnson's 1756 dictionary gave the following definitions:

"To Barbecue - a term for dressing a whole hog" (attestation to Pope)
    "Barbecue - a hog dressed whole"[5]
    While the standard modern English spelling of the word is barbecue, local variations like barbeque and truncations such as bar-b-q or bbq may also be found.[6] In the southeastern United States, the word barbecue is used predominantly as a noun referring to roast pork, while in the southwestern states, cuts of beef are often cooked.[7]

The word barbecue has attracted several inaccurate origins from folk etymology. An often-repeated claim is that the word is derived from the French language. The story goes that French visitors to the Caribbean saw a pig being cooked whole and described the method as barbe à queue, meaning "from beard to tail". The French word for barbecue is also barbecue, and the "beard to tail" explanation is regarded as false by most language experts. The only merit is that it relies on the similar sound of the words, a feature common in folk-etymology explanations.[8] Another claim states that the word BBQ came from the time when roadhouses and beer joints with pool tables advertised "Bar, Beer and Cues". According to this tale, the phrase was shortened over time to BBCue, then BBQ.[9]

The related term buccaneer is derived from the Arawak word buccan, a wooden frame for smoking meat, hence the French word boucane and the name boucanier for hunters who used such frames to smoke meat from feral cattle and pigs on Hispaniola (now Haiti and the Dominican Republic).[10] English colonists anglicised the word boucanier to buccaneer.

In British usage, barbecuing refers to a fast cooking process directly over high heat, while grilling refers to cooking under a source of direct, high heat—known in the U.S. and Canada as broiling. In US English usage, however, grilling refers to a fast process over high heat, while barbecuing refers to a slow process using indirect heat and/or hot smoke (very similar to some forms of roasting). For example, in a typical U.S. home grill, food is cooked on a grate directly over hot charcoal, while in a U.S. barbecue, the coals are dispersed to the sides or at significant distance from the grate. Its South American versions are the southern Brazilian churrasco and the Argentine asado.

Alternatively, an apparatus called a smoker with a separate fire box may be used. Hot smoke is drawn past the meat by convection for very slow cooking. This is essentially how barbecue is cooked in most U.S. "barbecue" restaurants, but nevertheless, many consider this to be a distinct cooking process called hot smoking.

7. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

8. msdw24

msdw24 1,000+ Posts

9. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

msdw,
    I was watching last season's Master Chef, and Graham Elliot made a pot of 'Texas Chili' and the people had to identify what was in it...there was no chili powder, but there was beans... I called his restaurant in Chicago and told them that while I respected him as a chef, there was NO way that was Texas chili.... it was an insult to Texas.
    btw, last fall after that my wife and I ate there for a treat on our 5th Anniversary trip and dropped about $500 on their tasting menu where you have a small bite of everything they make basically. It was amazingly creative food, but it was a bit of a disappointment in some ways as well.

10. NB_LONGHORN

NB_LONGHORN 500+ Posts

as a Texas Aggie?