That Non-Con Schedule!

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by brnkj, Jul 19, 2016.

1. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  2. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

On one hand I am glad we would be able to have a few missteps and still end with a high seed which should be the highest priority. One of the things I worry about more than anything, was something mentioned in the earlier thread........Having such a grueling schedule could lead to us peaking too early.

3. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

That was always the way that the Legends (Jody, Pat, Geno, Tara, Andy Landers and Leon), "we will play you anytime......anywhere", always did it. Glad to see it back in such a kick *** fashion! Good luck Coach. Results, or even dare we say improvement, over last years results would be one heck of a thing.

• Like Like x 4
  4. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

A lot of that is often coach speak. I recall Jody refusing to schedule games in Ruston LA against Louisiana Tech. From my memories of non-conference opponents back in the late 80's, games against traditional powers like USC, Long Beach, Old Dominion, and Western Kentucky were on the slate; but don't think Jody ever scheduled any games against La. Tech.

Summitt did play just about anyone and everyone, but then let personal issues get in the way of the annual game(s) against UConn. Pretty much robbed some fans of the best series in the nation.

5. JoeDallas

JoeDallas 1,000+ Posts

Are you sure it was Jody who would not go to Ruston? It may have been mutual between coaches, or may have been Leon. If it was Jody, I couldn't blame her, considering some of the officiating I saw there when we played them in the playoffs. About Pat -- I don't know the inside story, but I heard a version that would have justified her in stopping the UConn series. There may be principles more important than pleasing the fans.

• Like Like x 1
  6. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

I think the Pat v Geno thing is both pretty well acknowledged and accepted as fact. I remember after we lost that game to Uconn in the Final Four a decade or so ago, he had made the comment about how he had really been worried about Jody and UT in the semis, but knew he had a physical mismatch against Summitt in the Finals. And he did.

Still awfully excited about this upcoming team and the brutal schedule they are going to play to include the Sea Hag's team twice and the two Oklahoma schools twice.

And how is in the hell could Clarrissa not have been in the top All Time Longhorns on the LHN?

7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

8. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

That's what I'D LIKE TO KNOW! Takes away a bit of the credibility IMO. IJS...

• Like Like x 2
  9. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

More bad news for the Vols:
    Tennessee's backcourt sustained two major losses, with Andraya Carter forgoing her final season of eligibility and Te'a Cooper out the entire season with a knee injury.

That leaves Tennessee with only nine healthy scholarship players. Cooper made 15 starts as a freshman last season and averaged 8.6 points and 2.1 assists. She ranked fourth on the team in scoring.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-...miss-2016-17-season-tennessee-lady-volunteers

10. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Ahh, sorry DFW_Horn, didn't remember seeing your post about the Tenn injuries before I started another thread about it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
  12. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

13. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

gonna watch three of those four games. Glad ESPN is showing them on ESPN or ESPN2.

Won't see the South Carolina game on tv cuz I will be watching that one in person. :hookem3:

• Like Like x 3
  14. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Take note:

15. Dr. D

Dr. D 250+ Posts

I think one big motivation--not the only one, but a big one--- for this non conference schedule is to toughen them up for Baylor. The road to high seeds and Big 12 championships lies through Baylor. Last year Aston candidly said she thought her team was intimidated by the Lady Bears and "played a little soft." I doubt she expects to win all these tough pre-conference games; but it will be worth it if it prepares the team for the challenge down the road. If they get through the pre-conference, they should be ready for anything.