The $100 billion promise broken, already

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by BrothaHorn, Feb 10, 2011.

1. BrothaHorn

BrothaHorn 1,000+ Posts

2. BrothaHorn

BrothaHorn 1,000+ Posts

3. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Good post. They still have time to get things fixed and make the spending cuts necessary to acheive their promise and meet the expectations of those that voted for them.

To me this isn't really a partisan issue either. They had a pledge and they need to honor that.

4. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

how hard can it be to cut 100 billion? thats chump change to these guys. lets start with eliminating the free bottled water for congress. that is 1 million right there.

5. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Overpromising isn't a huge deal to me so long as we see evidence that they're working toward that goal. If we're sitting here in two years (or a year for that matter) and they've made no progress, then I'll be ticked.

6. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

7. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

brotha
    They must have read WM

Related News:U.S. · Politics .Republicans promise $100 billion in spending cuts
    By ANDREW TAYLOR - Feb 10, 2011 1:17 PM CT By The Associated Press

inShare.0More
    Business ExchangeBuzz up!DiggPrint Email .WASHINGTON (AP) — Confronted with a rebellion of tea party-backed conservatives insistent on deeper spending cuts, House Republicans are promising to cut more than $60 billion from the budget as they draft legislation funding the government through Sept. 30.

Thursday's announcement by Appropriations Committee Chairman Harold Rogers comes just a day after he failed to sell a smaller package of cuts in a closed-door GOP meeting.

"Our intent is to make deep but manageable cuts in nearly every area of government, leaving no stone unturned and allowing no agency or program to be held sacred," Rogers said in a statement.

Driving the move is a promise made in last fall's campaign to cut $100 billion from President Barack Obama's proposals.
    The Link

8. Texas007

Texas007 1,000+ Posts

the nest time these ******** start blabbering about "corporate greed", they need to learn that when they point the finger at those who actually make that money there are 3 pointing back at the politicos who are in fact, the greediest ******** out there. They never have enough of our money to spend. Sadly we have a bunch of people who are all too happy to let them take and spend more and more.

9. Satchel

Satchel 2,500+ Posts

The GOP's promises to make significant cuts should not be taken serioiusly unitl Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security and Defense are on the table.

10. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Satchel, I can't believe this, but I absolutely agree with your post.

11. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I'll third that.

12. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

the subject title should read "$100 Billion", right?

13. BrothaHorn

BrothaHorn 1,000+ Posts

14. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

15. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

Ryan - "Dollars?? You thought it was dollars? We meant $100 billion Pesos. Yeah that's the ticket. Just ask my wife . . . Morgan Fairchild."

16. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

What's sad about this is that they don't have the stomach to cut $100 billion in spending when even if they did it, it wouldn't even make a dent. The projected deficit this year is $1.5 trillion (or 15 times the $100 billion cut). Both parties better get a stronger stomach for cuts very fast.