The 2021 Football season

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Joe Fan, Jan 20, 2021.

1. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

The loss of Mensa really starting to show now..

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Hot Hot x 1
  2. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

3. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I'm hearing Worthy, Moore and Whittington are beginning to shine.
    And we need to remember Sark values a TE.
    And I think we have a couple playmakers there.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Sark talked about teaching the WRs on how to get open!
    HALLELUJAH, AMEN, BOUT TIME, FINALLY!
    I just don't know what to say.
    And to think I wanted Urban Meyer. Glad we didn't. I know i'm jumping the gun.
    But i'm revved up.
    Can't wait to see this offense

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Is that fair?

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

How to get off the line of scrimmage would be a big improvement.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

9. RainH2burntO

Really want to see Omeire healthy and in there...with the guys Moon already mentioned.
    Continue to hear about him being a real dude..and with legit NFl potential. Just has to overcome what was a pretty serious injury and very untimely interruption to his breaking on the scene.
    IMHO nothing would aid or add to our potential with the (WR) corps than his availability on the depth chart and emergence.

Consistency and removing doubt are key to Texas WR Troy Omeire’s return to the field

Look: Texas Longhorns WR Troy Omeire Works Out With Cardinals, Former Texans Star DeAndre Hopkins In Houston

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

this is great to hear ...

• Like Like x 5
    • Hot Hot x 1
  11. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

cannot wait to see this guy in game action ...

• Like Like x 2
  12. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

more player intel

• Like Like x 2
  13. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

Anyone heard anything about practice in full pads? Last update I heard was thin WR corp with Omiere playing timid about his knee and Moore out injured.

14. LAGA4

LAGA4 500+ Posts

I think there is some pretty good talent on this team, just not proven.
    Something keeps telling me that Kelvontay Dixon can excel in this offense. Hope I'm right.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

FALL CAMP – August 10

Head coach Steve Sarkisian pointed out the team is as healthy as they have been since he arrived in January. According to Sark, the expectation from the team is “we’ll be 100% healthy come fall camp. We’ll be ready to roll.”

The first team offensive line is looking solid early on. Here is how they are lined up from left to right:

LT – Christian Jones
    LG – Junior Angilau
    C – Jake Majors
    RG – Denzel Okafora
    RT – Derek Kerstetter

Right now, the group is still getting accustomed to the verbiage and new language that comes with new offensive line coach Kyle Flood and his coaching arrangements, but I am told things are moving in the right direction.

This group is rather deep when taking a look into the depth chart. Andrej Karic is probably the top dog in the two-deep, having started a couple games last year, he has some experience that may come in handy down the road.

I am hearing good things about Hayden Conner.... the slide in his overall ranking in the last class was unjust. He is turning heads.

I am told the man to watch is Jerrin Thompson being spun down to nickel to give Chris Adimora some competition. Should that be the case, the starting safeties should run something like BJ Foster and Brendan Schooler back deep. Schooler of course started as a freshman at Oregon at the safety position and is among the fastest players on the team.

I am not completely sure where or how transfer Darion Dunn fits into the picture. The outside corner spots are pretty locked down with Jamison and Thompson.

There is a very big focus on blocking among the tight end position. Cade Brewer is obviously the best run blocker of the group and has been moving slightly better from last year. It is worth noting that Brewer has slimmed down from last season...
    Source said TE Ja’Tavion Sanders has really beefed up from his last snap at Denton Ryan... As you would expect, Sanders has been the best receiving tight end so far according to my source. Juan Davis earned some recognition there as well.

The two Robinson backs compliment each other very well... As for Keilan, the speed is something that Texas has not had in years. Think back to the last decade of Texas running backs and none of them have the extra gear that Keilan possesses.

[T]he wide receiver room has drawn some high praise over the summer with the addition of Xavier Worthy... ources indicate to me that Joshua Moore is probably going to be the most reliable WR on the field to start the season.

Worthy is still deserving of the praise he has received and he is sure to see the field often and early for the Longhorns. Outside of Jordan Whittington, the source did not speak much more on the room. It’s my hunch that the WR rotation that was common under Herman won’t be prevalent under Sarkisian.

[More @ TFB]

FALL CAMP – August 13

Received a note on the QB battle early into fall camp. Essentially, the source said Hudson Card “was winning” the QB competition at the moment.

The origins of the note comes from within the walls of Moncreif, and is not just based off of the 3-4 practices of fall camp.

I am not saying the job is locked up and competition is over, but there does appear to be a clubhouse leader within the lockeroom.

[More @ TFB]

• Like Like x 2
    • poop poop x 1
  16. RainH2burntO

Thanks Godz.
    This ^^^^is the kind of stuff I missed while you were away.
    Ja'Tavion at TE....real interesting...suprising.
    I'd think he would destroy coverage as a tight end...
    But can he block?

17. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Catch?

18. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

He's got the frame, the size and weight (255). The question is does he have the heart. He doesn't have to pancake anybody just keep the defender from getting to the ball carrier

Yes he can catch, thats what's been said thus far

• Like Like x 1
  19. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

"The most important factor in a TE aside from his physical talent is he has to be mean; the guy that starts fights in the locker room, on the field & in practice" - Gil Brandt

• Like Like x 1
  20. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Between throwing to JTS who has man coverage, or to the WR, or handing the ball to Bijan, I think we score a lot inside the 10.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

22. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

FALL CAMP – August 11, 2021

As Texas practiced for the fifth time in preseason camp on Wednesday, Sarkisian is in the midst of overseeing a more difficult quarterback decision than faced in his previous seven seasons as a head coach. In a matter of days, as preseason camp wraps up, he’ll make the choice between junior Casey Thompson... and redshirt freshman Hudson Card...

“Like I said, I had a feeling this would happen — both Casey and Hudson, neither of them are making it easy,” Sarkisian said on Sunday. “They’re both playing well, they’re both improving, they’re both trying to do the things we’re asking them to do, and that’s what I hoped for. I wanted them to make it hard on us and they’re doing just that.”

Through the start of preseason, the game has started to slow down for both quarterbacks, Sarkisian said. Not that they were frequently rushed back in March and April, but there’s clearly a higher comfort level from both, as expected with the time they’ve had to learn the offense.

“I think they’re seeing the value in getting completions and then taking their shots when they present themselves and not trying to figure it out in the middle of the play — they’re trusting their preparation to anticipate those shot plays when they’re there,” Sarkisian said.

Those shot plays are integral to any offense. In Sarkisian’s offense, which creates wide receivers open on every play, in the estimation of junior wide receiver Joshua Moore, the quarterback’s ability to take advantage of those opportunities could mean the difference between a successful season and a disappointing season.

But the shot plays are only part of the picture. Sarkisian sees defenses as less like a book than something more flowing and ever changing, dictating which throws are available.

“We don’t just force the issue — we really tried to read coverages, read defenses, and get our indicators and things like that,” Sarkisian said.

If that means taking a check down because the wide receivers somehow didn’t create separation, a frequent problem for Texas in recent years, taking the check down isn’t just the smart play for the quarterback, those passes have the opportunity to get dangerous playmakers like Bijan Robinson and Keilan Robinson the ball in space.

“The game has slowed down and they’re letting the easy things be easy and that’s that’s one of the key components in the system,” Sarkisian said.

[More at BON]

23. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Ya know the only thing keeping me from going completely overboard with new season anticipation is the blasted lunacy, idiotic, thoughtless, inconceivable first game start time. Players and fans gonna pass out.
    Well maybe it will rain.

24. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I remember Herman’s first game. All the momo gone after that.

25. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Momo ???

26. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

FALL CAMP – August 13, 2021

After gruesome injury, Texas' Derek Kerstetter wants to go out on his own terms

Derek Kerstetter could have left and thrown his hat into the NFL draft ring earlier this year, but there was work that needed to be done. Besides, he had zero interest in leaving college with a final image of him being carted off the field.

So Texas' senior center is back for a fifth season after a gruesome ankle injury at Kansas State cut his 2020 season short in Week 9. Eight months of resolve-testing rehabilitation have fueled Kerstetter's desire to finish out his college career, and he's eager to lead this offensive line into the latest new era of Longhorns football.

Tough people overcome, and Kerstetter, a hard-nosed sort who doesn’t back down from a fight, didn’t take long to make the obvious decision, even if he will be playing in front of an inexperienced quarterback for his final year.

“They’ve been hectic,” Kerstetter said of the weeks of recovery followed by the months of rehab. “It’s been just a pleasure to be able to come out here to be with my teammates again. What I went through was a blessing because it taught me so many different things, but it was also one of the hardest things I’ve ever faced in my life.”

Kerstetter's injury had a big impact on the team and tugged at the Longhorns' collective heartstrings. He's a self-made man — a largely overlooked three-star lineman from San Antonio who has gone on to play all over Texas' line — who brought the right mix of toughness and intelligence up front. So powerful was the respect for him that teammates gathered around him in the locker room in Manhattan and sang "Texas Fight" when he returned from the hospital.

His decision to come back was met with great enthusiasm. And new Longhorns coach Steve Sarkisian and offensive line coach Kyle Flood understand what it means to have experienced, smart guys in the O-line room who can teach the others.

Kerstetter says this experience has made him a better player, and Sarkisian said he saw no hesitation or mental scar tissue in the first week of practice.

“He's going for it, and he's cutting it loose,” Sarkisian said. “He's a great leader. He's a physical player. He’s smart. I'm really, really glad to have him back this year.”

The line will have to apply new verbiage and a different philosophy this fall, and with Louisiana and Arkansas first on the schedule, there won’t be an easing-in period. A lineman like Kerstetter, who has 37 of the line's 89 career starts, will definitely aid that transition, especially with unproven quarterbacks Casey Thompson and Hudson Card taking over.

Junior Angilau, the team's most vocal lineman, has 24 starts under his belt, and tackle Denzel Okafor (14) and Christian Jones (10) are the others in double digits. Sophomore Jake Majors stepped in capably for Kerstetter and also is in the running to start, maybe even at center since the versatile Kerstetter has worked at tackle at times this summer.

We know running back Bijan Robinson will be the featured attraction, adding to the pressure to block against fronts that will be stacked to stop the run. To that end, Flood is seeking more depth in the trenches.

The offensive linemen will enter the fall on high alert because it will be the first season in their college careers in which they won't have an experienced quarterback behind center.

Kerstetter likes what he has seen so far from both Thompson and Card.

“These young guys have done incredible,” he said. “As an old guy, you can only ask that they do their best, and that’s what they’ve done each and every day. They’ve come in and they’ve worked hard, and they’ve used their voices and took over the offense, so it’s been awesome to see both of them just continue to work and grind. It’s really a special thing here.”

Kerstetter is back and hungry to go out on his own terms.

[More at Hookem]

27. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

28. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

29. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Momentum old man!

30. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Ha, heard it called mo, but yep, old man it is cause did not connect the ‘mono’.
    And yeah Md definitely laid the egg on Herman but the coming heat stroke event has nothing to do with that.