The 2021 Football season

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Joe Fan, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

2. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

So, we're assuming grad transfers take over at least 2 starting roles on D, yet Coach K is inheriting a better squad than previously thought. OK.

I don't see Thornton as a starter. He has basically been demoted every year since his sophomore one. I saw him more as depth for OLB. Same with Davis. Oghoufo is bigger, faster, and has more recent experience in big games. That said, I still think Dorbah (and probably even some shifting around involving Ojomo) will get the first crack. Once the season gets to October, I think it'll be those three splitting time at weakside DE.

At DB, I don't doubt that Dunn will play, but I see him as the dime back. Thompson was reliable in all games except 2 last season, and shouldn't lose his starting spot so easily. When we're in nickel, it'll be Jamison - Jer Thompson - Foster - Adimora - Josh Thompson for the first trip around the block. I think Coffey, Cook, and Owens will get some LONG looks before Dunn is promoted. Cook seems to be the most likely casualty to lose playing time to Dunn, as Coffey/Owens are more SS types.

3. Sheldon Cooper

Sheldon Cooper 100+ Posts

Too early to say at this point. All the transfers are upgrades not withstanding their level of stars when they were recruited. We will know a lot more when spring practice rolls around.

Outside of a few returning starters I don't see any position being set in stone.

This might be the most important spring practice in a very long time.

I will say that with the recent additions and transfers, this Texas team is in a much better place to challenge for the conference than I originally pegged them to be. I think they have a regular season floor of 9-3.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 8
  5. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

Will Texas have enough big bodies on the field to slow OUs running game? I never watched a single Washington game, but this proposed strategy really concerns me against OU, TCU, and OSU. Also how will this impact defensive line recruiting as not using a 4 man front was successfully used against Texas in the past?

6. Sheldon Cooper

The 2-4-5 defense is basically the same as a 4-2-5 defense the difference is you never know which 2 of the 4 is going to come at you.

Also remember there is no set defense with Coach K, he runs his defense according to his personelle which means he will change it up to maximize his talent.

7. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

You read it here first: Rattler gets Bomar'd in the Cotton Bowl

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Man its gotta suck having "getting jacked up" named after you

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

Perhaps I have been overly influenced by the negative recruiting messages, but your comments would be an absolute gold mine to me if I was recruiting against Texas. Excuse me son but do you realize that Texas is running a 2-4-5 defense. Yes but they told me that it is the same as a 4-2-5. Then why wouldn't they call it a 4-2-5? Well it does not matter because they will run the defense according the personnel. Well son here at (OU, OSU, Bama, fill in the blank) we know the defense we are going to run and this is how we are going to use you because this is what NFL teams do and we plan to get you into the NFL. How many players has Texas put in the NFL the past 10 years? Seems like every other year they bring in a new guy who is going to "fix" their defensive problems but he never does.

10. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

I should point out that I am not trying to bash coach K and I have no idea what they are telling recruits, but I am a bit worried.

11. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

So we should change our defensive scheme before the first practice in pads just to appeal to recruits? No. Let's let this highly regarded, previously successful defensive coordinator do his thing for at least 1 year before we hit the panic button. If we start getting results similar to Orlan_o, or worse Manny _iaz, then we can all panic together.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Look at it this way:

To the Pona Ford types, they will always be the grunts and will be down on most plays. Depending on down and distant 2 of the 4 will always be LB types behind the LOS and play cover. The other 2 are the critical 2 in the entire defense since they will be up on the LOS and will either be edge rushers or will drop back. Edge rushers are gold in the NFL.

The point is the offense will not know who will do what, especially when you mix in blitzes from the secondary.

13. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

So did Bomar get Rattled? And Rattler will get Bomar'd?

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Sheldon Cooper

Interesting, but what most coaches actually do is pop in some game tape and show the recruit where he fits in in this defense what they want him to do, and then talk about all the guys who came to Washington as low level recruits and left as high draft picks.

Bama puts a lot of guys in the league, but they are mostly very high 4 and 5 star recruits, Washington put a lot of defensive guys in the league that were 3 and 4 star athletes.

To top it off coach K can just pop in the tape of Washington playing Bama in the playoffs in 2016 and holding the Bama offense to 17 pts. And that was with a Washington Offense that constantly put the defense in a hole.

Coach K's defense works.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

I hope you are right. I have a negative opinion of the Pac 10 as the finesse league dating back to the 80s. I am not saying to change schemes or anything of that nature just discussing football. However, the comments I hear about Coach K do sound like similar comments to guys like Diaz, Orlando, etc... where they are going to "fool" the opposing defenses with their blitz packages. I will try to watch a few Washington games so I am not throwing crazy stuff out there where I have no idea as to what I am writing. For me this is a really tough coaching staff to judge due to their backgrounds. We all know Alabama will win at least one national championship per 5 years as long as Saban is there. Pac10/12 is soft.

16. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I'm not going to disagree that the Pac seems soft, but Coach K has 19 former Huskies in the league right now, while all of our DC's over the past time frame have combined for less than that. Recruiting rankings be damned.

• Like Like x 1
  17. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  18. Sheldon Cooper

I gotta admit, Card has a golden arm.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  20. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

• WTF? WTF? x 3
    • poop poop x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  21. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

• Like Like x 4
  22. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Charles Wright better be ready to go.

• Funny Funny x 1
  23. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Huge difference already from TH. I always suspected...and sometimes saw "evidence " that TH played faves too much and wasn't confident enough to really fully open competition at key positions. I suspect he also made promises he shouldn't make to recruits. Whether the latter is true or not....I think we are seeing a difference already with Sark on the former.

• Agree Agree x 3
  24. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

The kid runs fast and makes sharp turns, much like Shipley and his hurt knees. Apparently Jake’s weakness is not his knees but his bones.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  25. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

The kid might be snake-bit

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, Thompson didn't get on the field in 2019, while Card was raking in the recruiting accolades (and getting injured) for LTHS. I think the bottom line is that we're looking at the likelihood of someone portaling, so Wright should be prepping as much as the other two guys, because he's the probable 2021 backup.

• poop poop x 1
  27. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Or they both stay because the nonstarter is an injury away from being the starter at THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS
    Well anyway I see Thompson as the starter and going pro after a monster season.
    I am still impressed with his jump step throw to Brewer in the Colorado game.
    Card still has four seasons left to play (or five if he redshirts which I doubt).
    But I do agree that Wright needs to be ready to play.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I think we all know that isn't the case at major universities these days. Several NFL starters were transfers, some due to playing time despite cushy circumstances. For many guys, it's "starter or nothing," and we've even experienced that at Texas with Cicero, Dunn, Snead, Kinne, Harris, Gilbert, Wood, Rising, and Jackson. Not everyone is a Matt Nordgren type who will just sit for years in anticipation of leadership.

Unless Thompson and Card are announced as "dual starters," Wright needs to be brushing up on Sark's playbook.

29. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Yep! Impressive so far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Best way I've heard of describing/comparing Sark is this.

Charlie came in as a hard *** and almost immediately kicked 10 of Mack's players off the team trying to set a "new team culture". He seemed more consumed with that than the process of developing a team

Hermie came in with his binder, pee charts & sledge hammer saying he wasn't going to watch film from last year. Fresh start for everyone which put him way behind not knowing how anyone actually performs on the field. He was making some players eat burnt hot dogs while others ate steaks thinking he's instilling discipline yet not really telling us anything.

Sark is coming in very confident yet likeable and level headed talking football specifics and player development needs. He points out things he likes and things that need to be worked on but doesn't feel like he needs to make some sort of a statement like the last two. He's way more involved in every aspect of the game & recruiting than the last two coaches. The word genuine comes to mind.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1