THe 800 Pound Gorilla: Buck Burnette

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by ousuxndallas, Nov 6, 2008.

1. ousuxndallas

ousuxndallas 500+ Posts

Okay, so the thread in "On the Field" was locked and told to move to West Mall.

For the unimformed: Buck Burnette, backup Center for Texas, was dismissed from the team for posting racist comments on his Facebook account.

Statesman

What are people's thoughts on this sad turn of events?

2. lhb98

lhb98 250+ Posts

Mack did the right thing.

3. LonghornCougar

LonghornCougar 1,000+ Posts

Unfortunately it was a tough way to learn a lesson, but hopefully he did. Good luck to the kid, I hope he really doesn't think that way.

Mack did what he had to, the context and timing of the incident was pretty terrible.

[​IMG]

4. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

I like the "zero tollerance" policy. I hope it is applied uniformally.

5. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

There is still a tremendous amount of racism and ignorance and fear in our culture (i.e. the south). A lot of what is espoused by this younger generation was regular speak by their parents, uncles and fellow high school students.

It's better by far as I have seen in my nearly 4 decades but we have a long way to go and may never get there completely.

6. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

Sad that there is anyone who would actually post something like that on a public forum. Haven't heard anything like that since the '50's.
    Sad that he was dismissed from the team, but I have to agree with the decision.

7. DigglerontheHoof

DigglerontheHoof 1,000+ Posts

Bye.

You can't have an open racist on the football team. I hear aggy is looking for good linemen.

8. riloh05

riloh05 100+ Posts

This was the right move.
    Mack has 80+ players and families to look after plus the future of the program. The comment can disrupt the whole team dynamic and family atmosphere.
    A single incident (dwi,dui,etc...) can be handle on a case by case basis- and by law enforcement.
    The act committed by Buck is the death penalty in a team setting. Mack was the judge, jury, and executioner.

9. blueglasshorse

blueglasshorse 1,000+ Posts

What exactly did he post? I agree that a racist should not be permitted on the team but I also think that we should know exactly what he posted that was so offensive.

10. Napoleon

Napoleon 2,500+ Posts

In reply to:

11. Texas0407

Texas0407 500+ Posts

Good riddance.

12. Longhorn_Fan68

Longhorn_Fan68 1,000+ Posts

Glad the coaching staff took action. That is not is not an attitude that is conducive to team building.

13. LonghornCougar

14. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

I think Buck has some soul searching to do. He claims the racist and disturbing post was thoughtlessly cut and pasted from an email he received and are not his feelings. I believe the act was largely thoughtless, but that is troublesome in itself. Why not a thought?

If I were part of a team and someone advanced something offensive to some of my teammates, I'd spit it back at them.

There are all sorts of vile jokes I'll make in private with people who know my true feelings and positions. I wouldn't tolerate the same remarks made in public as though we all go along with them.

I hope Buck takes the time to really think about what his actions meant as a team member as well as a citizen. I don't know what Mack has in mind, but if the team voted him back on next year because they believed his contrition, that'd also be okay with me.

Good luck to the kid.

15. Summerof79

Summerof79 2,500+ Posts

Sometimes stupidity costs you dearly. Racist stupidity from a white dude when many of his teammates are black is stupidity, on a variety of levels.

Sorry to see a kid lose his scholarship, but the scholarship requires certain levels of acceptable behaviors.

16. Sooner-Tuf

Sooner-Tuf 1,000+ Posts

Young men are full of piss and vinegar at times. They do and say rash things on occassion.

I personally heard much worse yesterday. It is a very difficult time for many to be pc every second of every day.

I don't envy Coach Brown or anyone in the position to have to deal with this sort of thing at this level. There probably was no way of getting past something like this other than the route the University took.

The whole situation saddens me a little bit in this day and age knowing how far we haven't come after all.

17. lhb98

lhb98 250+ Posts

Cougar - if correct, that's worse than the comments we were mocking the Aggies for yesterday.

He may be a fine young man who made a very dumb mistake, but mistakes have consequences.

18. crash_davis

crash_davis 250+ Posts

i read in another forum that this wasn't an isolated event and that some things were also said when barack visited the horns a few months ago.

mack absolutely did the right thing.

19. Hayden_Horn

Hayden_Horn 1,000+ Posts

if tuesday night and yesterday are any example, it's pretty ******* shocking how casual some people are with their bigotry.

20. BrûléeOrange

BrûléeOrange 500+ Posts

21. WTFHORNFAN

WTFHORNFAN 100+ Posts

22. crash_davis

crash_davis 250+ Posts

i was happy when barack was announced the winner. i'm even more elated that the racists idiots can not help themselves from showing their true colors.

kudos to buck burnette. you couldn't keep from being the bigot that you are. enjoy getting kicked off the team and your newfound notoriety.

23. Sooner-Tuf

Sooner-Tuf 1,000+ Posts

24. Bevoette

Bevoette 1,000+ Posts

It's one thing to make a racist comment it's another to make it about the President elect and imply getting guns.

25. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

Here's what I posted on the thread on In the Stands:

26. YuppiePrick

YuppiePrick 25+ Posts

****!! The first guy from my high school to play in the forty acres too. Wimberley High School opened in 1986. I graduated in 1992. At the time of my graduation the school had never had a black student. I knew plenty of idiots who would've made the same comment. Some who actually believed it in their hearts and some who just thought it would've been funny because they grew up hearing it even though they didn't believe it.

No matter which category Buck falls into, Mack had to cut him loose. [​IMG]

27. LonghornCougar

I want to clear up exactly what he had up, I mentioned the word "guns" earlier, but I was wrong on that (i edited my earlier post), this is what was posted:

"all the hunters gather up, we have a @%#@ in the whitehouse"

i think its pretty clear what the comment means though.

28. Texas0407

Texas0407 500+ Posts

29. Nordberg

Nordberg 1,000+ Posts

30. Ray McKigney

Ray McKigney 25+ Posts

Racial jokes have absolutely nothing to do with being PC. They are simply wrong. Extremely wrong.

Unfortunately, this election has brought out the racial feelings in a lot of people. I have heard several racial jokes the past 2 days, and these were all from mature adults. Absolutely unbelievable.

Anyone who thinks racism is a thing of the past or is rare is completely wrong.