The advantages of opening with cupcakes

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by gahornphan, Sep 2, 2018.

1. gahornphan

gahornphan 500+ Posts

Today I read about how dominant Bama looked against Austin Peay and how Kyler Murray looked against FAU and how crappy Texas looked. The writers never seem to criticize the level of competition. While it’s very honorable that we try to schedule competitive games with Power 5 conference foes, I’m starting to see the advantages of scheduling cupcakes to open the season. I’m beginning to miss those days. For one the serve as a preseason game to iron out wrinkles.

• Like Like x 2
  2. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

With the playoff system it helps. Multiple 1 loss teams they will go back to this opening week and say well Georgia played Austin peay and Texas played Maryland which should give us the benefit of the doubt. Sure would be nice to be in the discussion of the top 4 man oh man the good old days

3. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

I think we are giving too much credit to Maryland. They are middle of the pack B10 at best. Just glad we didn't open against Nicholls St or South Dakota St like 2 of our vaunted B12 brethren. Those almost turned into 2 losses for the Kansas schools.

• Like Like x 1
  4. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

They're not great, but to the OP's point, I think this team will be a lot better with this game in the rear-view window. Unless you think your team is going to come out of the gate in midseason form - and history shows so far that they won't - then you need to have a game to work out those first-game jitters or hiccups or whatever that first 20 minutes was.

It's getting old coming into a season opener having no idea what the other team is going to do on offense (or seeming to) and having to make midgame adjustments because we've never seen film on this team. Herman has said that he wants to address that this team is the only school to play 12 power 5 programs in a season the past two years, and that does need to change. Doesn't have to be a Division III nobody, but at least someone that's a good warmup for the rest of the schedule.

• Like Like x 2
  5. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Unfortunately, until Texas can exert its influence at will in a game against top level competition, Texas is the cupcake.

• Like Like x 3
  6. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

I don't blame Maryland for opening with a cupcake.

Everyone else does it.

• Like Like x 6
  7. gahornphan

gahornphan 500+ Posts

(Using my Jim Mora voice). “PLAYOFFS!!???”

• Like Like x 2
  8. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

Lmao

9. gahornphan

gahornphan 500+ Posts

We need a warmup game against a DII or DIII nobody or we need to play a REAL top ten school. Whether we win or lose against the BYUs, Maryland’s and Cals does us no good in the long run. Even if we had won the game, would we have gone up in the rankings? I say no. We end up having to fight hard to win against these teams and end up showing our entire playbook to conference foes while the
    Oklahoma’s and Alabamas sit back and play vanilla football the first game or two, as well as give their young players a chance to play.
    Yes, it helps if you’re a playoff contender, but NEWSFLASH....
    We’re not.

10. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Bama played Louisville. No matter what you think of Petrino's character, he's not a cupcake coach.

We lost to Maryland. I would expect a more competitive game from them than A&M would out of Northwestern State or whoever they played. Even OU played against Kiffin (ok ok) and CRUSHED THEM.

We saw no sign of a team nobody wants to play out of UT yesterday. We didn't see anything that would give another team pause. No elite running back. No elite quarterback. Luckily the defense settled down late but there was no monsters of midway feel at all. Then there's the coaching. Did you see playoff caliber coaches? I didn't. I don't think the cupcake issue is the problem. We should have won this game and not relied upon late game heroics to do it. But we didn't.

• Like Like x 2
  11. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

It is a moot point...this sack o'crap offense is NOT going to get a whiff of the playoffs as long as Beck is screwing up the play-calling. GDGD put together a better offensive game plan...and we all know how horrid GDGD was with respect to anything other than letting VY be VY.

• Like Like x 2
  12. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I admit, I was disappointed. No doubt.
    But couldn’t agree more, week one is a lower level DI school. Let’s not stoop to SEC NE Middle State Tech crap, but Maryland is not a bad team, folks.
    Sure Texas should win 8 out of 10 times against a team like Maryland.
    On to Tulsa....

13. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

I'm beginning to miss the days of not sujkk>
    My opinion of Petrino is low for getting his girlfriend a job in the whatever department. The affair is between him and his wife. Not one bit of anyone else's business.

14. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Anyone who advocates for scheduling cupcakes better not be also complaining about other teams scheduling cupcakes. Just sayin'.

• Like Like x 1
  15. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Like Like x 1
  16. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

I’d rather lose to a Maryland and not a North Dakota or Appalachian state sweet baby Jesus if that Kansas loss wasn’t enough

• Like Like x 1
  17. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  18. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Maryland was not a good football team. Ehlinger is going to Ehlinger at the end of the game whether it is week 1 or the last week (see Tech last year). At least there is no question now that it is time for a QB change... at least I hope there is no question with our coaches.