The Austerity Myth

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by dheiman, Oct 17, 2011.

1. dheiman

dheiman 1,000+ Posts

LINK

If anything were to epitomize the problem in Washington it might be this article.

Despite all the rhetoric about "holding the country hostage", the debt reduction bill and all the ******** promises; government spending INCREASED 5% so far this year.

Forget political parties, this makes you want to pull your hair out. It's no wonder we have such little faith in these *** clowns in DC.

2. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

3. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Ugh. It's baffling. The idea that the government can rescue an economy through spending money has been so thoroughly discredited that it's a miracle dumba$$es like Krugman can even show their faces in public.

However, while governments have been bankrupting themselves following Krugman's philosophy (really Keynes' philosophy) for decades, they never learn their lesson. They still take guys like him seriously. They just assume that all the previous failures were a result of not spending enough.

It just shows that in government stupid ideas always die a slow and painful death.

4. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

5. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

And yet General and Satchel and many others spend endless hours on this BBS arguing that Democrats or Republicans are better, or worse, than the other.

i take offense. i have always said that our road to ruin is not a matter of if but when. all great civilizations crumbled through over expansion and debt. we are no different and it doesnt matter what party is in control.

6. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

You know, as far as I understand it, if you dont gots the money, you cant spend the money, so you cant go into debt.

But when you give some rich Wall Street bankers, which is what the Fed was in 1913, a few rich Wall Street bankers, the ability to print money and control interest rates and charge interest on nothing, then they ruin the currency and the standard of living of everyone but themselves.

There is no saving. There is no risk. There is only waste and bail out and loss of purchasing power.

Ill take von Mises any day over JP Morgan, Rockefeller, Paul Warburg and the rest of those crooks who destroyed this country financially.

7. Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer 1,000+ Posts

This is precisely why the GOP should never agree to any tax increases. I am 100% against any increase in "revenue" until these fucktards learn how stop spending money.

Gridlock is necessary. If any self-proclaimed indepedent (I'm looking at you BI) claims to not see a difference b/t Dems and GOP here, then that'll tell you which way that person leans.

8. dheiman

dheiman 1,000+ Posts

9. ShinerTX

ShinerTX 1,000+ Posts

Agree 100%. The only thing Washington can agree on is letting the runaway train continue on down the track. It is so frustrating.

10. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious 25+ Posts

Sounds like some Ron Paul support might brew up

11. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

12. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet