Band and Cheer Stuff

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Chop, Apr 27, 2019.

1. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

Should have played the Eyes at the beginning so the zhits would miss the ceremony

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

And this^^^^^, Sabre, is exactly how I was raised to think...and correctly/healthily so.
    I don't mean only that I myself should take this^^^ attitude when in a position/appropriate circumstances to...but that I should also respect the rights of others to take this very position with me when appropriate...and be fine with it.
    This is one of the definitive differences between the mind of freedom-loving people like ourselves, Sabre, and the new age unwitting minions of Marxist and Communist thought. My Dad taught me nobody owes me anything but what I earn myself (and he was right in doing so), and if I can't earn it from "them" then I will go elsewhere and earn it...IF it is worthy...by God's grace.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 25, 2021
  3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Rain,

There are instances where things would be more difficult, but if these people managed to get into The University of Texas, that means there are dozens, if not hundreds of other schools that would have been happy to have them. They are not marooned on a Burnt Orange Island with no alternative. Pick one

• Like Like x 1
  4. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

They should be lucky they are not marooned on a maroon island.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  5. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

[QUOTE="SabreHorn, post: 1834998, Pick one[/QUOTE]
    That might exceed their math comprehension skills.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Hmmm, this would seem to be problematic by certain critics:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

There you have. Eisenhower was a racist.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Sorry, I'm a little slow, I fail to see how that quote is even slightly racist. I need educatin

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Sarcasm detectors are located on aisle 5 next to the irony meters.
    :beertoast:

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

It’s in the “eyes” Poms, in the eyes. If you were kidding I apologize.

11. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

Thanks chop
    I did fail to see the sarcasm detectors.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

no, no, no. It's not problematic until you hum a few bars. after that...

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

“My vision for ‘The Eyes of Texas’ really is to do a lot of listening to all perspectives. But when it comes to the ball games, we will be playing ‘The Eyes of Texas’ as a Longhorn Band and as is customary, I’ll be on the ladder leading in those efforts,Croomes explained."

Looks like The University finally hired someone with some balls to set things straight musically at the games.

UT's first-ever Black band director shares vision for Longhorn Band

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

With all the junk about our band in the news last year, here's something positive from our incoming Freshman feature twirler Aidyn Mentry:

:arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up:
    GREAT ROUTINE!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  15. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  16. tchill

tchill 25+ Posts

If you haven't been up the street at the band building after a game, you should try it. Standing unawares about 10 ft from the band when they get there and bust out in "Texas Fight" will give you goosebumps.

• Like Like x 3
  17. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

lovely lady....enjoy all your years on the 40 acres....Hook'EM!!!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

THIS!!! I used to be the "right front puller" of BIG BERTHA and just the memory of that gives me goosebumps....Hook'EM!!!

• Like Like x 6
  19. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 4
  20. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  21. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

I will be singing it LOUD and PROUD from the Olympic Mountains in Washington State!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Unfortunately, a few who think playing "The Eyes" is racist and cannot comprehend the song today stands for "being the best because you're a grad of The University of Texas" are having their way and getting the slogan on the campus buildings removed. So, the donations I've made to the Business School and a matching amount my wife makes to the School of Fine Arts have been discontinued. I also have season tickets, but those will be discontinued as well at the end of this season. We struggled with the this decision, but the lack of leadership and resolve to maintain the traditions of our great university is a sign of weakness which none of us who went through any education major program, from Accounting to Zoology can nor should tolerate. There, I got it off my chest. HOOK 'EM and GO HORNS to the sports teams, and TAKE A HIKE to the band.

• Winner Winner x 3
  23. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

Let's hope that Saturday we get off on a more positive foot....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  24. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

I can't find an article stating the campus buildings removed "The Eyes of Texas" inscription. Do you have one?

25. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Seem to have disappeared. I did several searches, but nothing comes up but the student demands for removal that were from mid-summer. I'll keep looking to see if it pops up.

26. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I vaguely recall something was removed in summer of 2020 that had to do with student-led tours on campus.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

I recall them changing the name of the tour from The Guides of Texas.

28. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

They played The Eyes of Texas.
    :bevo::bevo::bevo:
    Things appear to be back to normal.

UT 1
    Band Malcontents 0

• Winner Winner x 5
  29. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

I am curious if the little lady that was last year's drum major and refused to play THE EYES returned......she wore slacks....

• Funny Funny x 2
  30. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

According to my daughter (who was in the LHB during 2016 to 2018 seasons) the kids who were against The Eyes were a distinct minority in the LHB (at that time, at least).

• Like Like x 1