Band and Cheer Stuff

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Chop, Apr 27, 2019.

1. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

While I totally agree, where do you think we put their fans? I discussed it with Deloss several years ago, and he said it would only get worse

2. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

Given what tickets are worth these days (particularly in the secondary market), I wonder how much longer any of the bands will have seats in the stadium. E.g. at the RRS the LHB is in folding chairs at ground level, just outside the north EZ.

3. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

The way this team is playing, the UT athletic department will just be happy to have those seats filled, without having to bust out with the $5 Randall’s Stampede Zone tickets!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Jones,

Thus far, oSu is the only school to bring its band to Memorial Stadium

5. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

The old SWC had many problems. But one really good thing about that league was that visiting fans got lots of tickets. And the bands usually sat in the lower level on the visiting team’s side. I remember we were so accommodating and gracious to Tech that we let their band do a formal pre-game entry into our stadium going round the track playing their songs like they were our band. It was a fun spectacle to watch, and no we didn’t boo them.

6. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

Arkansas put the tech band in the nose bleed section back in 64 or 65. Last game of the season, both were top ten IIRC. So it's not exactly new

7. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

There is a reason they call it the home-field advantage. Have Sabre tell you about the vistor locker rooms.

8. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

What's next - do we go full Iowa on the visitor's locker room and paint it pink. Or maybe blare some boy-band music in there at halftime...
    :lmao:

9. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, It's like that one time a bunch of us student volunteers hooked up fire hoses and watered down the field into a swamp before the a&m game... :smh::rolleyes1::smokin:

Errrrrr, uhhhh, wait a minute... there aren't any aggie spies that lurk around here, are there...? Wouldn't want to validate their conspiracies...

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Thank you, Hayden Fry!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

Ah yes, the good ol' days of cheap tickets at Randalls. Er wait, the bad ol' days...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Giovanni Jones

Back in August 2016, my daughter (then a frosh) participated in the renovation of Big Bertha, which included the installation of two new drumheads and the replacement of the 76 tension rods. She got to keep one of the old tension rods as a souvenir. Many years later, her old dad finally got around to having the tension rod framed (along with a couple of pics). Props to the folks at Village Frame in West U for the excellent job they did on this project.
    [​IMG]

And if I had been thinking, I would have had them add to the plaque "Everybody Knows That OU Still Sucks!"

My apologies for the oversight.

• Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

GJ,

Really cool story. We will cut you some slack for not adding ou Sucks! :ousucksnana:

14. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

GJ,

Great post. I'm sure few of us knew that the drum had "tension rods", but we all knew "OU sucks".

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

The Band played The Eyes, and it looked like all the players were standing with respect with Horns up.

Looks like the negative fad of boycotting The Eyes has just about passed.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  16. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Perhaps all that is left to do is to purge the faculty of the turds that helped foment the boycott in the first place.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  17. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Alabama game Band performance.
    I like how we spelled "Jazz" in cursive.
    And having the guest singer for "The House of the Rising Sun"
    An excellent, and entertaining, band performance.

• Winner Winner x 2
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
  18. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Chop
    Thank you :clap:
    Great jazz sounds for any band let alone a marching band:headbang:

• Like Like x 2
  20. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

They also mention our game tradition of Home on the Range. Really?!?! I've been doing this over 50 yrs & MAYBE heard the band play Home on the Range once. What am I missing? Or, is this an example of why the author doesn't know jack about schlit?

21. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Some folks don't know 'Home on the Range' from 'Deep in the Heart of Texas.'

• Winner Winner x 1
  22. Giovanni Jones

Way more likely to hear Deep in the Heart of Texas or the Calypso version of The Eyes of Texas than HOTR

23. BLucky

BLucky 250+ Posts

Guest singer nothing...she plays a wicked jazz clarinet. From someone who has been around marching bands most of his life, that was simply amazing.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  24. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

Listen to her on the last 2 numbers. 'Just a closer walk with thee' and 'When the saints come marching in'. I was blown away.

25. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

Can't let my son see this... he's in the Purdue band and they have them ahead of us. Gotta admit I was blown away how great Purdue band is but I still argue that our drum is bigger.

26. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

Now them's some cool cats, Daddio.

27. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Listening again, I’d have to say this was much better than an above average show for the Longhorn Band. This band performance at the Alabama game was an instant classic and maybe even among the all time best.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Texanne

Texanne 5,000+ Posts

They don’t play it. They sing it. And they add a few more lyrics:

Home, home on the range,
    Where the deer and the antelope play
    With themselves…

29. Ajo Macho

Ajo Macho 500+ Posts

Any list that doesn't have UNT in the top five, if not #1, is simply a list of the most popular bands, not the best ones.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

ULa-Monroe game performance by the LHB. Audio is a bit weak.

• Agree Agree x 1