Band and Cheer Stuff

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Chop, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

@Chop you do realize Sark said that in January, then time happened (as it does) and now in March, Hartzell has said the team and band do not have to sing it/play it/be there for it, etc? Sark saying something in January, then being overruled in March by his boss does not make him a liar. It appears the band will not have to sing, the players can run off and it will be a ****show.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

And this would be the worst mistake UT brass could make.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

But what about the woodwinds? Or the percussion?

• Funny Funny x 6
  4. 2003TexasGrad

You can't hear the woodwinds anyway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

You cannot always hear a fart in the wind either, but if you are on the wrong end of the airflow, you still KNOW it happened...

Just sayin'

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Somebody please show me where Harzell said the band does not have to play the school song.

7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

This may be your best post of all time. They can't because he didn't, BUT certain media types have reported it without having been present. The man told the football team they would stay on the field. The band doesn't have to play, but neither do they HAVE to be part of the band.

People listen to the numb nutt news, then read it online (must be true if it's online), take it as gospel and run with it.

• Like Like x 6
  8. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

How many people try out for the marching band every year? The question should be if you join the marching band you have to play the school song. If you cannot do that for any reason, sorry but you are not eligible for the marching band. Nothing wrong with the decision either way.

Same reasoning for the Music Department leaders. The Eyes of Texas is the school song. If you cannot be a part of it, your office should be cleared out by the end of the day, and we will mail you your last check.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I'm very much ok not making the team sing (just stand around with your hook em horns hand in the air, whatever, while the song is played). Plus, those guys probably don't sing very well anyways. They can try or pretend, or whatever, on the field, respectfully towards the fans and school

The band is a much different situation. A college football marching band is there to play the school song and the fight song. That's why we have a football band. It's their very purpose. That and some of the other misc songs like March Grandioso, Wabash Cannonball, Texas Texas Yee Haw drums, etc.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I want to be on the football team, but I don't want to have to play the first or the fourth quarter. And I still demand my full scholarship, perks, and uniforms.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. hornde68

hornde68 250+ Posts

This whole cancel culture circle jerk is like a draining battery. Nothing, absolutely zero, will make this s***show better. Continue 120 years of rich history focused on accountability and the fact that what we do at UT defines the world. And you’re a racist. Stop it and put in what,’Inagoddadavida’ and all is good. ********. I personally love and enjoy the band, but hold a marching competition on fall Saturdays and see if a football game breaks out and a 100,000 people come to watch. Fire the ******** and replace them with the 3X applicants that got rejected. Or, better yet, let them march on the soccer field and play whatever the spirit moves them to play. Hell charge admission to defray costs for new uniforms. Now that is a legit reason to *****.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  12. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

Closest I can find is student-athletes don't have to stay around for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

From the Hartzell interview, it appears that no one is going to be forced to even stay on the field. Maybe they'll sing it on their way to the locker room or while showering or driving home. Maybe I'm wrong-headed but I let this bs piss me off to no end every now and again..... I thought Herman got fired because he handled this whole Eyes thing incorrectly (because he won more than he lost, improvement over CS). Now Sark (who is NOT a liar) has said the fight song will be honored and here comes upper management with the strong edict of "well, gee, sorry there's hatefulness, you know what, stick with last year's plan and do what ya gotta".....

14. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Lots of official statements & static since Sark's statement. Unlike TH, if he was still in the picture, I trust Coach Sarkasian will address and make it clear how in a POSITIVE way the players WILL conduct themselves during THE EYES before and after the game.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2021
  15. 2003TexasGrad

Hartzell is on video/audio saying students won't have to stand, stay on the field or sing. I don't think he specifically says "the band" but it is implied as they are also students.

• Hot Hot x 1
  16. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

"implied" doesn't make it so.

No one HAS to do it, but neither does anyone HAVE to participate in extracurricular activities.

Jay is not going to contradict what he has already said face to face in meetings, and certainly not to some fishwrap or (I would say something worthless, but $300 million isn't exactly worthless) something like LHN.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  17. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Hartzell needs to find a job at CNN.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

He already has the audience interpreting what they want to hear rather than what was or WAS NOT said.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. OrangeShogun

OrangeShogun 500+ Posts

Then why doesn't he come right out and make a concrete, definitive statement instead of all this wishy washy ******** that is ripe for (mis)interpretation?

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

it's called CYA.....just in case this blows up again in his face.

21. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Find one politician, corporate executive, or football coach that does that. THEY DON"T EXIST! That's why "coach speak" was invented, then you can sit back like Barry and laugh your *** off while reading what was heard as opposed to what you said.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  22. 2003TexasGrad

And this is the problem. He needs to clarify his statement because band members have already stated that they are interpreting his statement as applying to them as well.

23. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

If the band for some reason refuses to play our school song, disband them (pun fully intended) and strip them of their scholarships.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
  24. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Jay doesn't need to clarify **** to band members. They have a leader. It is his job (if he still has one) to communicate with the band, get answers to their questions that are reasonable. If the band director or chairman of the music department doesn't get the answers "they want", then replace the leaders and/or band members or both.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  25. 2003TexasGrad

I'd email Dr Hanna myself but I don't think I have the clout to really make a difference but I agree with you. Someone needs to put the rubber to the road on this.

26. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I have no use for Hanna, and never have had, BUT he has always been very approachable by phone or email. Personally, I think he's worthless as tits on a boar hog. Hope he isn't on payroll come September.

27. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Elon Musk
    Trey Gowdy
    Nick Saban
    Daryl Royal
    Bum Phillips
    Donald Trump
    Robert Unanueus

• Funny Funny x 1
  28. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Is that a list in support of the post or that "never" used coach speak?

29. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

This really is the point for many of the agitators. The evolution of this argument is that everything is racist because it was at some point tainted by the historical act of racism. Once that argument becomes mainstream then you can cancel anything you want due to its proximity to something else that is racist. At that point all traditions, all expectations, all belief systems that are based on the foundations of the university and the country are by extension racists and REQUIRE complete overhaul with ....you guessed it....demands that diversity and inclusion and quotas be the primary deciding factor on how to structure new programs. Meritocracy will be cast out in favor of inclusion. Achievement will be cast aside for equality of outcomes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  30. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Hartzell said this, meant that, coach speak, blah blah blah. Come September, I'd lay odds that no one on the team or in the band has to change anything they're doing and will still be full members of the football team/band. Although the donors pulling money seemed to have to do with the Eyes of Texas, I call bs. It was because Herman didn't keep the team rolling after "We're Back" and didn't meet expectations on the field. It's ludicrous to think that the cigars will pull their money mid-season if the song isn't honored. Starting to believe nobody really believes in it otherwise there'd be obvious change. Ready for September when no one stays on the field or plays "the song" and we hear about "oh, yeah, the money guys really put their foot down". If I'm wrong, then tell me what they're going to do that won't be obvious.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • WTF? WTF? x 1