Band and Cheer Stuff

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Chop, Apr 27, 2019.

1. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Note references to General Lee and the other claims previously bandied about were removed from the article after the EOT report, which was throughly researched. How come there was no comment about that and how it falsely created controversy? Anyway, the introduction of the song at a minstrel show (the main form of entertainment in the US from 1810-1910) is apparently all they got. Are we going ban all popular music? Why? Because popular music originated from minstrel shows.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  2. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  3. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  4. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

This new development is like the "woke" crowd throwing a desperation Hail Mary pass from their own territory against good DBs with time expiring.

If the UT admin is making the (real) band play the EOT, there's not a snowball's chance in far South Texas* that the UT admin would allow the school song to be changed because of all this.

*well there was that February snow storm this year, so I suppose it's within the outside realm of possibility.

5. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

And now we get further confirmation of what most of us already recognize....
    Part of the problem with many of our young people today is the "adults" in the room have no greater level of maturity, understanding, knowledge, or wisdom than they...
    It is getting hard for me to tell the difference.....literally...the way they think, talk, act, dress, "reason", etc...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  6. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Here’s hoping you are correct chop,,,,,,,but I am not holding my breath. I am no big donor but this (which I’ve said before) may turn out to be the impetus I need to save the $$ on my season ticket cost. Just getting plain sick of what in my mind malarkey.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Jay just needs to channel his best Frank Erwin and fire their stupid asses. If they are tenured, outplacement is a wonderful thing - see also Greg Fenves and Shaka Smart.

The University if Texas, we may not have invented outplacement, but we are perfecting it.

:hookem2:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

This is exactly right. Base decisions and 'taking stands" based on facts.

It's all backwards in our culture when the only fact is that it was played at a minstrel show and the "Wet A$$ P*$$y" song is seen as women's empowerment.

9. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  10. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

So it was played at A minstrel show.
    I'd like to know how many times
    and when was the last time it was played at a minstrel show

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

I looked at the petition signers with a list of their department or field of study. Overwhelmingly, they are the ones teaching students worthless degrees and running up the student debt in this country. I am sure they are probably all tenured and hence are protected from being terminated. After listing 100 things that are racist about the university, doesn't it make him racist for continued to work there?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  12. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Not many on this board are old enough to have ever attended Cowboy Minstrels, which were discontinued sometime in the late 60s. I went once as a teenager, when it was held under Memorial Stadium (no alcohol served). The fraternity or sorority with the best show won a huge trophy, but by the time I went, the trophy went to the only show left open after all the others had been shut down by the censors. If you were lucky, you got to see two shows.

What would our week kneed faculty do with the Rice MOB, goose stepping at halftime like they did against the Aggies, or the band director wearing a tan shirt and fake mustache?

Grow the f**k up!

• Like Like x 4
  13. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I wonder if The Star Spangled Banner was ever played at a minstrel show...? How about Amazing Grace, My Country Tis of Thee, Battle Hymn of the Republic, and other popular songs from that era...?

All sorts of folks can appropriate your song and use it for reasons that had nothing to do with, or even contradicted, the original meaning of the song. How about those little kids in conservative schools singing This Land is Your Land, proudly led by their Republican music teacher.

Consider the irony for The Clash to hear their song Rock the Casbah used as a theme for dropping bombs on the Middle East. (They actually may have laughed it off and joined in on it...)

On edit—I’m ok with the Longhorn Band playing any of the songs listed in this post.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Now that flared bell bottom style pants are back in style...

The Band should wear bell bottom flared pants as part of their uniform.

:bevo:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

please note that a very small minority of the faculty signed the petition and a portion of them appear to be from either non teaching or adjunct roles. Just guessing on that.

They are reserving their right to not attend graduation. That is a huge sacrifice on their part. Not like dying in combat or being gassed by Hitler or put in the gulag by the communists or locked in one of Castro's fine prison camps but a sacrifice for sure.

We should all respect their sacrifice and their stand and refrain from calling them names like overpaid mincing crybabies or bedwetting castrati or whining dogs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Guess they just want the eyes of Texas on them.

• Like Like x 2
  17. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

The day one of those goofy ******** can draw 100,000 people into Memorial Stadium at $100+ a person, I might actually sing something they want sung, but then that would require they actually do something worthwhile with their miserable lives.

• Like Like x 3
  18. George Bailey

George Bailey No beans in my chili, thank you

Somewhere there's a band director working on a marching arrangement to "Wet A$$ P*$$y". I just know there is...

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

If that band director is named Scott Hanna, he's staring into a mirror for the inspiration.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  20. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

Hanna is much too dry for that.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  21. George Bailey

George Bailey No beans in my chili, thank you

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  22. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I don't know, but perhaps a size 12 boot to their backside might be effective.

• Like Like x 2
  23. RainH2burntO

Boots come from cows and since cows are minorities utilizing this in a derogatory manner is hate speech....against cows. Though quite egregious, this will be forgiven *** cows expel gases that are harmful to the environment and are therefore not protected by anti-hate speech initiatives. However, referencing a backside implies a frontside and differentiating between sides is not allowed and also considered hateful to both sides...if there were indeed sides that differed.

• Funny Funny x 6
  24. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I appreciate you, Rain. You make woke-thought understandable.

25. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

There goes Bevo. It was only a matter of time.

• Funny Funny x 3
  26. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Do you prefer I use my size 12 Anteater boots or Alligator? If anteater, which color?

That solves Rain's bovine problem.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  27. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Anyone who pays attention, though, knows that Texas almost always seems to have some sort of snow or ice event in the first half of February...this one just had a slight twist.

28. RainH2burntO

Impossible!

• Agree Agree x 2
  29. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Yep. This one actually hit far South Texas.

30. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Ok, I'll be non PC, non-woke, inappropriate AH poster here.

MARCHING BAND: PLAY THE EYES OF TEXAS as or when you are instructed or be a snowflake. If you refuse, then you can leave the band / give up the scholarship you are unworthy of !!

One, semi-old geezer.

:hookem:

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: May 24, 2021