The Billingsley model

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by lhb98, Nov 12, 2008.

1. lhb98

lhb98 250+ Posts

No wonder his computer rankings are so worthless that they are tossed out over half the time in the BCS rankings.

From ESPN's "I-Formation":

2. Little Earl

Little Earl 100+ Posts

I don't understand the logic behind this. If you beat a team in October that ended the year ranked #3, how is that easier than beating that same team in November? I understand how a team's derived ranking early in the year is not as meaningful as their derived ranking at the end of the year, but don't ALL of the computer rankings take into account what a team has done up to date, not just what it had done prior to an individual game?

3. HornInOK87

HornInOK87 100+ Posts

4. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

But wouldn't that still be based on the final ranking? If OU beats a Tech team and then moves up in the rankings then we would have beaten on the final rankings a top three team even though we did in Oct?????

5. LonghornCougar

LonghornCougar 1,000+ Posts

The article also mentions Texas's weak non-conference sched, and the best team we beat was Rice. Who cares about the fact we beat Mizzou, and Oklahoma doesn't play them. I'm willing to be Mizzous is better than TCU and Cincy.

[​IMG]

6. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Cincinnati got annihilated by UConn. Count me as unimpressed.

7. alden

alden 1,000+ Posts

Most of the computer rankings have severe flaws. Many were made by sports people who are pretending to be mathematicians. Their methods would make anyone who works in predictive modeling cringe.

Also, the BCS should NOT use any closed models. They should be open to public review and scrutiny.

Billingsley is worse than most because he models the polls, not the teams.

8. 90 Grad

90 Grad 500+ Posts

what does he say about losses. I guess it matters little that Fla lost at home to a crap team?

9. WooHorn

WooHorn 250+ Posts

10. ProdigyDub

ProdigyDub 500+ Posts

Don't worry about Cincy, guys. They have FOUR games left. They are not going to win out.

11. kujotx

kujotx 500+ Posts

Billingsley is assuming that rankings earlier on in the year are less precise and therefore discounts them. Specifically, he assumes that higher ranked teams earlier in the year may not be ranked that high later in the year. Therefore, beating number one early on is not as good as beating number one later.Um... OK.

That team never should have been ranked that high. Is that what he's saying?

Well, what about a Florida? Who lost to Ole Miss
    . At home

Explain that, Mr. Math. Is it better to for Florida to show the world their tighty-whities in the girls gym, or in the middle of the cafeteria during lunch?

12. Huckleberry

Huckleberry 1,000+ Posts

13. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

14. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

15. Texas Taps

Texas Taps 5,000+ Posts

16. Huckleberry

Huckleberry 1,000+ Posts