The Boy Scouts file for bankruptcy

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by El Sapo, Feb 18, 2020.

1. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

SIAP - search of HF didn't pull up anything

Boy Scouts of America files for bankruptcy. Hundreds of sexual abuse lawsuits are now on hold - CNN

I'm not going to lie, I almost threw up my morning coffee after reading this. I knew there was trouble but I had no idea it was this bad :

I was an ADD poster child with low self esteem as a kid, I only made it to Wolf I think, but as a boy without a present male role model the scouts filled a void in my life for little while. I remember falling behind very early to the other kids who had dads / two parent households who could help them work through their projects and advance. I'd have been completely susceptible to a predator in a mentor role and probably not seen it coming ; I wanted to be a part of something and learn 'guy things' so badly. I shudder when I think about that. I don't know why this article has hit me so hard. The institutions are failing.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

3. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

This is disturbing

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

A good reminder that predators don't stand in the woods trying to grab kids as often as they get roles where trust is assumed and guards are lowered.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Oh man I remember when I gagged at all the suits to allow gays, and all. Now this? Crap, even the Boy Scouts.

6. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Really sad. Boy Scouts has done a lot for my family and our troop has all sorts of safeguards to prevent abuse. A few jerks created millions in losses for an organization that was all good for millions of boys becoming terrific young men. I remember with dismay that the Scouts had mortgaged Philmont Scout Ranch. I hope that amazing and valuable asset is not lost to future generations.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1