The CFP rankings

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Joe Fan, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is the top 10 (TCU is 11) -- If Clemson, Auburn, Oklahoma, Wisconsin win, they are in.
    Alabama is a bit of a wildcard at No 5 in case ou or Wisconsin lose.
    Miami-Clemson and Auburn-Georgia sort of like acting quarterfinals.
    If anyone got screwed, IMO it was undefeated UCF (#14)
    1 Clemson
    2 Auburn
    3 Oklahoma
    4 Wisconsin
    5 Alabama
    6 Georgia
    7 Miami
    8 Ohio St
    9 Penn St
    10 USC

And here are the schedule strength of the top 10 (FEI)
    7. Auburn
    24. Oklahoma
    28. Clemson
    36. Georgia
    37. Ohio St
    50. Alabama
    55. USC
    61. Penn St
    86. Miami
    99. Wisconsin

http://www.bcftoys.com/

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

This is the first time Alabama has beens ranked outside the CFP Top 4 since November 11, 2014.
    10 SEC schools have changed head coaches since then (all but Alabama, Auburn, Kentucky & Vanderbilt).

Auburn is the first two-loss team ever to be ranked in the Top 4 of the CFP Rankings

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
  3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Ex-Cal coach Jeff Tedford took over a 1-11 Fresno State team and now has them in the CFP rankings
    Well done Coach Tedford

• Like Like x 1
  5. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

I’m good with Auburn being in top 4. They smoked Bama on the field and with SOS.

6. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

My take is SEC & ACC winners are in. Bama is in if TCU or OSU win. If TCU & OSU win, it opens up several scenarios that will cause the annual CFP bashing....oh wait, there will be CFP bashing regardless!!

7. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

After seeing this I hope tcu kills OU Saturday. This little prick is throwing the ball at the players while they run into the field

• Like Like x 1
  8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Here is an 8-team playoff scenario that looks pretty cool for this season

1. Clemson
    8. UCF

4. Ohio State
    5. Alabama

3 Georgia
    6 USC

2 ou
    7 Wisconsin

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  9. LonghornCatholic

Looks good to me.

I guess like the NCAA tournament, theres always teams that people feel got screwed and left out. Doesn't matter how playoff teams we have.

Not making a case for them, but I could see Auburn folk up in arms with above scenario. I still think 8 is unnecessary though.

10. LonghornCatholic

You Bama supporters will love this........

11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

You could cut one round/one week of games out by doing a 6-team playoff with a bye for 1 and 2

#3 Georgia vs #6 USC (or UCF?)
    #4 Alabama vs #5 Ohio State

1. Clemson BYE
    2. ou BYE

Lower seed advances to play Clemson, higher seed advances to play ou

• Like Like x 1
  12. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  13. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

So how long until they milk this and reveal the teams

14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Wow

So the arguably 3rd best team in the SEC is “unequivocally better” than the champions of both the Pac 12 and the Big 10?

• Like Like x 2
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

17. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

So winning your CCG isn't that important anymore? Thought that was one of if not the number one factors of the final four.

Unless you're Bama.

Screw this. Back to the drawing board to pick the four...or expand to top eight.

• Like Like x 3
  18. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

It's not that hard to visualize a day in the future when they put 3 SEC teams in it

• Like Like x 3
  21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  22. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

I don’t think it matter because what happens if the conference champ has a 3 loss season compared to a one loss team that didn’t make it

23. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

Then you simply move on to another conference champion. Who says it has to be a P5 champion?

24. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

The CCG winner mattered before (the hosing of TCU the first year was specifically said by the committee to be their omission), but not now because, you know, Bama.

When has a 3-loss team played in - much less won - a CCG?

:idk:

• Like Like x 1
  25. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

Roll Left 1996... Five losses

26. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

IIRC, college football fans wanted a playoff system that included the CCG winners. The new playoffs only allowed for 4 teams...Down side, there are 5 Power Conferences. So now what we have is an entirely subjective selection system that is biased toward certain programs, Bama (2017) tOSU(2016). Think back to 1996, Texas win B12 South at 7-4 and played Nebraska at 10-1. We win and went to the Fiesta, not Nebraska. That’s how many envisioned a playoff system. Conference Champs only advance. 1st round playoff winners advance. Under this current situation, it’s seems absurd, but now is not inconceivable that a first round winner could be told to go home and a team (BAMA, tOSU) could be put in the National Championship game. Can’t happen? Anything can happen in this system. Why? That’s easy, TV ratings and money. If Vanderbilt was 12-1, won the sec conference, I can see the committee putting a Bama in over them. The days of winning your conference and being rewarded are over. I’ve seen several posts on this and other boards with better criteria to determine a national champ, but seems that the teams that are allowed in are limited.

I also would not be surprised to learn someday that committee members get gratuities under the table to vote certain ways.

Next year, I’m watching College football for the regular season, screw the playoffs, and I might watch the minor bowls but that’s it.

• Like Like x 2
  27. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

But has that other conference champion played the caliber of teams as the the 1 loss p5 school? 4 teams is simply not enough you can always make a case for 5-7 they need to fix it but they won’t until the tv deals are up and realignment happens

28. -Texas-

-Texas- 250+ Posts

Realistically, G5 champions will never be considered unless perhaps they routed all of their opponents--and their non-conference wins came against P5 powerhouses. Tell me though, how often is that going to happen? Pfft

29. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

Of course you're correct. My reply to easy should have been "when has a 3-loss team won their CCG and then made the final four."

30. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

Well, if I had it my way, all conference champions would go to a playoff and that would be the end of it. You would have to align some conferences to make 10 conferences. Top six teams get a bye and the bottom four play a tie in game where the higher seed host the game.

Then the remaining 8 play where higher seed hosts the game. After that, you keep the format you have now.

• Like Like x 2