The Eyes of Texas

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by 1963_Frosh, Oct 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

And no. As a combat infantry soldier, the big guys - 200 lbs. types, were always at a disadvantage in the Army.

Getting into / out of armored vehicles, or sitting in them for hours on end was terrible for them. Even getting into the turret in a Gun V Hummer was hard.

Big paratroops broke ankles far more often than lighter guys.

And on long road marches and hikes, the big guys were sucking wind after 10 miles, while us wiry types kept on trucking.

Soldiers don't beat each other with clubs anymore, we shoot at each other with rifles, so anything more than about 175 lbs. is extra weight to carry around. Light, fit, strong, and good endurance are the keys for Infantry ops.

• Like Like x 3
  2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Every D-1 school has special admissions for athletes. Even the service academies have 300 spaces for athletes. The same is true of smaller schools.

As for the minimums mentioned above, virtually every inner city HS coach (and most all in suburbia) puts his players in AP classes. Why? Because of funding, no kid in AP makes a grade below a "C", which goes on the transcript and GPA as a "B" because it is AP. Can the kids do the work? NO, but the coaches flash that transcript and GPA to recruiters and coaches.

Novel? I was first introduced to it by the HC of Booker T Washington when recruiting one of his kids for Fred in the early 80s. Coach even told me that "He may need some 'help' with his SAT".

The Public Ivys are no different - Berzerkley, UVA, UNC, Michigan all have multiple players that could not get into SWT without the "athletic exemption".

• Like Like x 1
  3. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

I think what is lost on some of the fans is that the athletes are only here BECAUSE OF THE FANS!

Thousands of Texas high school athletes work their butts off playing football and other sports. They work just as hard as the UT football team. The vast majority are not lucky enough to play football at UT or even football at the college level at all. Many work just as hard on the football field but also work harder in the classroom and get into good schools on their classroom merits.

Hundreds of division III football players (Trinity University, Austin College, etc) work and worked just as hard at UT athletes and do not get scholarships or any of the benefits UT athletes get.

Why do UT athletes get all the free things that other athletes at other schools that work just as hard do not get? BECAUSE OF THE FANS!!!!!!!!!!

You know who pays Tom Herman's salary? Texas fans.

You know who pays for the free education, free housing, free books, a cost of living stipend, free food, free tutors, free dietician, free training, a free state of the art workout facility and numerous other perks that the players enjoy? Texas fans.

Athletes at schools like Texas, USC, Alabama, Michigan, etc are rockstars! The reason Taylor Swift makes money and your neighbor that sings in the church choir does not is that Taylor Swift has FANS! The ONLY reason Texas athletes have all the opportunities they have and privileges they enjoy are TEXAS FANS. Otherwise, they would be like the players at Mary-Hardin Baylor not receiving a scholarship, paying tuition like regular students and just playing football for love of the game.

The student athletes at major programs in 2020 are the 1%er most privileged students on campus. Nothing is even close to it. The fans are the only reason these athletes are on campus in the first place.

What separates a WNBA player from an NBA player? I have no doubt WNBA players work just as hard as NBA players. Why do NBA players make a hell of a lot more money than WNBA players? Because NBA players have a hell of a lot more fans!

Why do hard working, talented American soccer players make more money playing soccer in Europe than in the United States? Because Europe has more fans leading to higher pay than there are fans United States.

The Eyes of Texas is not racist. The only thing the Eyes of Texas controversy has been is the privileged, entitled athletes telling the fans that are the entire reason for their scholarship, education, etc, etc to get f***ed.

How many people would choose student debt or working a real job through college over what the 1%er privileged UT football teams gets? Working construction to pay for your college is a lot more grueling than what the football team does.

One day college sports will not be around in this country. The educational opportunities the fans have given these athletes just will not exist. By attacking the Eyes of Texas, the current UT Football team harmed the existence of the current opportunities they enjoy in the long run for future athletes. That should make everyone mad!

Someone needs to sit Tom Herman and the team down and make them realize they should be thankful, not hostile, to the fans who make their lifestyle and opportunities possible. If I was getting everything the UT athletes got from the fans, I would be enthusiastically singing the Eyes of Texas with them! Unfortunately Herman and our team are a bunch of unappreciative, privileged, entitled whiners.

TL;DR: Spectator sports mean the spectators are the reason for the privileges that the athletes enjoy.

• Winner Winner x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I was 6'3" @ 210lbs and had not the slightest of issues. I knew guys around the 250 lb weight who were solid muscle and had no problem and were actual badasses. Those were the guys lugging around the 50 cal.

When talking special forces the smaller guys do tend to be better adapted and have better stamina and are quicker.

5. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Here’s the best argument on The Eyes I have heard, made by someone (not me) on another board.

Dion, work with me on this, here, On The Field.

[political comments removed]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Yes, I do agree.
    But sadly some college grads come out to work for me and I have to retrain them....
    Work starts at 8, meaning you get here ready to go at 8,,,, stay off your blankety blank phone during meetings, I could go on. Takes me a good 180 to deprogram some.

7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

NR,

I have posted here before what my dad told me & I in turn told my kids

"I'm going to spend a lot of money to get you a piece of paper, so someone else will spend a lot more money giving you an education"

8. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

Sabre has educated me on the "everybody does this" point. I'd like to know these athlete's majors/grades because it'd be a big indicator of their intelligence/prospects in life, and some like yourself would come down off your soap box professing their high iq's and mental capabilities. As far as your uncle and PHD's, what was his profession, how'd he get into Rice out of community College (capital C) and get into Rice, what were his earlier degrees etc etc. This whole thing is about players respecting their university and standing for The Eyes. Whine all you want, but yesterday they did what they were told. Unfortunately, they had to be told to do what's right in the first place. Get your priorities in order. Eyes of Texas isn't a slave hymn nor an indication of oppression of anyone. That's how one maintains credibility, by having valid arguments/stands. I believe it's done just to be annoying and when that happens, the whiner has no valid position and it gets squashed which is what happened here.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Still joking, bro’?

10. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

No, duke. This is precisely what the recent policy was about. No exceptions.

I have seen this with a few other posts that are basically this: “I don’t mean to make a political comment on a sports thread, but ... [political comment on a sports thread].”

Here’s the policy if anyone needs a refresher.

Sports and Politics on Hornfans

11. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Bud, the irony here.
    No one hates the athletes, and I’ll only speak for myself what angers me is they absolutely do not represent Texas. That’s the whole point. They are turning in this until all about them. Truth is I’m sick of hearing how the police ‘might’ do something to them and not one effing player can talk about what the police ‘has’ done to them it’s ********.
    You guys please give me a little lattitude and I wouldn’t say this but im anonymous on here. I swear to you this isnt about me trying to get credibility or for anyone to think I’m a good guy again I am anonymous, but I work with youth in prison and I know the policeman and put them there and I know the parole officers that work with these kids, not one kid, not one I ever met that didn’t deny doing it and they agree that they deserved jail..and I’m talking about shooting people, car jacking people ...I’m not talking about stealing a candy bar. What’s funny is the kids that are in jail truly don’t have any disrespect for the police, it’s these people who’ve never been mistreated by the police Telling the UT players to not sing the Eyes.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • poop poop x 1
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
  12. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

What does that have to do with innocent people getting harassed by police? Just because they have not announced it publicly does not mean it has not happened to them. Have you ever thought that they might be so passionate about the subject because they have experienced it first hand??? No you haven't because you don't understand. It's not your fault but your ignorant to the situation because you simply can't relate nor do you have a real life experience relating to the topic. Your on the outside looking in making judgements based off of what you think you know.

A Texas player has came out and said he was pulled over and the cop had a bad attitude and once he told him he played for the University of Texas his entire attitude changed and he let him go. I know it has happened to others they just have not came out and told their story publicly. Just because those you talked with said police were not wrong does not mean everyone has had the same experience. The fact you also compared it to kids who break in cars, stealing etc.. shows what you think as a whole. Not everyone breaks into cars and steals FYI. The players are speaking about people who are simply not doing anything wrong yet get abused and harassedby police. I can give you many examples and videos of 5-6 cops beating, choking men who are HANDCUFFED begging for their life so please don't do that.

Yes these players are representing themselves. They represent Texas on the field and they do what they are supposed to do but when they are off the field they are allowed to have an opinion contrary to what you believe. You voice your opinion and I am sure you have a job and you represent that job, so by you having a job does that stop you from having an opinion?? No it doesn't because you have that right in America and so do these athletes. You cannot say these athletes don't deserve to have an opinion because you don't agree with it. I guarantee if their opinion matched yours then you wouldn't have a problem but because they disagree with you then they need to "just shut up and play" and all those other ignorant statements I keep seeing.

• poop poop x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

Just curios, how many posters here have taken the time to read the players tweets, chats youtube video and posts about how they feel?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

JJ
    "What does that have to do with innocent people getting harassed by police?"
    do you have a verifiable link showing someone Innocent was Harassed by police?

PECOS:hookem::bow::hookem:

15. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

HTown 77 I would agree with your post 100% if you had used the term "sports revenue" tran than Texas Fans.

Texas Athletics is a $227M business operation that benefits from many State, Federal and University subsidies that make the revenues earned by Texas Football a huge and profitable entity that pays for the expenses of Texas Athletics while making a profit most years.
    Ticket sales to fans are just one of many revenue streams included in the above $227M number. Add in TV rights, Merchandise sales, Sponsorships, Donations, Estate etc etc

Without the best product on the field in the form of football content for live and broadcast viewing the revenue stream would quickly reduce.

Scholarships to players are a transaction for services to be performed in the creation of visual content. That is what the TV contract pays for. It requires an opposing teams otherwise it would be the players competing against themselves which is usually called practice. The sport needs 22 players for each play from opposing teams.

Scale that up to conferences, divisions and championships and the number of scholarship athletes number in the tens of thousands.

The competition for the absolute best players is ruthless and what much of the expenses in coaching, recruiting and facilities is spent on. Try and attract the best in any commercial endeavor without providing the same level of compensation and you will fail.

We all know the dream of the NFL and the riches it offers to the very few that can reach that level. College football is a sanctioned path by the people in charge of creating the content in an academic environment.

I know many fans of Texas Football that watch and support the Longhorns and I also know many football fans that root againt the Longhorns and relish every loss as a Super Bowl victory.

The game is much bigger than just the Fans and the players but it requires both to make it interesting.

But in the end it is commerce that is enjoyable to watch.

16. zuckercanyon

None of those things has to do with the song.

17. Jacob Johnson

Your right it does not. I was responding to what was brought up. It would have never been stated if it wasn't brought up to me. The song I don't care about but when someone tries to downplay what's been happening basically saying the black community as well as players are exaggerating and cops do nothing wrong and people have nothing to complain about is something I will go back and forth on. All I am going to say is don't speak on a subject if you personally have no idea in the world what you are talking about.

• poop poop x 2
  18. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

@PecosBill Fans watch tv. Fans buy merchandise. Fan interest attract sponsors. Fans donate money.... yes, it is all about Texas fans. A lack of fans is why teams like Mary Hardin Baylor, etc do not make as much on tv, merchandise, sponsorships, donations, etc.

Fans at a major university wanting to win demanding the best talent is what causes schools to start attracting the best talent in the first place.

See the story of Oklahoma football. Some rich okies wanted to win and started paying players 70ish years ago. The fact the University of Texas has so many interested fans (rich donors, regular people causing big tv contracts to happen, etc) is why so much effort is put into UT winning at football and where the money for it all comes from directly or indirectly. Lose fan interest, then the demand for a great football team dries up and ultimately, with it, the revenue.

@PecosBill every source of revenue you named is fan driven. The players only have scholarships, a place at the university, facilities, etc, etc, etc, by the grace of fan interest... that is the truth for football, basketball and baseball. Sadly for the "non-revenue sports" aka the sports with little fan following, they are there by the grace of Title IX and football, basketball and at some schools like Texas baseball fans paying for their programs. UT pissing off fans and losing revenue in football is an even bigger disaster for the "non-revenue" sports.

It is a shame so few people get that fans are the only reason for the revenue.

• Like Like x 1
  19. zuckercanyon

I’ll give you that point. Some will say there’s nothing to see here when it comes to cops vs minorities. The whole blowup comes from a lot of seemingly random things that are considered racism that (again) seem to be things that aren’t against minorities or are done/sung in support of further oppression.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. zuckercanyon

Back in the day, Erick Williams was pulled over by UTPD and detained for giving his name as Ricky. Everybody then (yes I speak for everyone) thought there’s no way this cop didn’t know who he was and stretched the letter of the law to make a point, which was (drum roll) pointless.

21. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Late to the party but from the looks of it-it sucks.

Players can’t just decide to not participate in what is expected of them here at UT and get away with it.
    If they decide to not participate, then they are fired and next man up.
    The portal transfers out and in would be fun. We would be getting badasses from a lot of other programs that would love to wear orange, play in front of 100k, be a starter and sing the eyes.
    Everyone would be all in and we might start winning again.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  22. Jacob Johnson

Do you think your going to replace one African American for another. I don't know if you realize but Texas players are not the only players who have spoken out. Most of them have in some form so why would they decide to transfer here when the fans are so quick to tell them to leave?? I mean if you want non minorities to come in and play then I guarantee you will not have a team to begin with. African Americans make up over 50% of college football players so you all keep with that thinking and we won't any games and that's just me being completely honest. You won't win games if you constantly tell black players to leave because they don't agree with you.

• poop poop x 1
  23. MUCHO

MUCHO 100+ Posts

Next topic.

24. Jacob Johnson

I just want everyone to answer this question.... Now that the players came together and decided to stay on the field are you all happy?? It seems their is still hate for these players after they did what you all begged and complained for them to do.

They all have said time and time again the eyes was not a major issue for them and it's not like they were going to sit out if the staff made them stay which they did not. No coach or administrator or donor made the players stay. They could have easily walked back to the locker room during the song andnnothing would have happened to them but they stayed to make you all happy so please stop saying these players don't care about the University or fans etc.. because they did it to make you all happy so can everyone please move on and worry about the real problem which is winning!:hookem:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • poop poop x 2
  25. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

See my previous post.

It is about bad management by the child coach and the feckless administration.

In every bad business situation I took over I was told the same thing: “We have a labor problem”.

My answer was always the same: There is no such thing as a labor problem, there is only a management problem”.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  26. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

IvanDiabloHorn, what was your previous post?

27. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Yes JJ the players staying did make me happy. In fact just the staying, ignoring not putting Horns up and not singing, still makes me happy. Shallow? Or a shallow victory you say? So be it. I still admit I appreciate the gesture and hope that by just their staying there might come to be some slowly acquired acceptance and understanding of The pride the fans feel for them and the school through the song.

• Like Like x 1
  28. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Players better sing or be present for the ******* Eyes next year or I am demanding my money back. If that were to be the case I am 99% sure CDC will grant a refund. If UT doesn’t, I am suing. This is the only way you deal with bad faith negotiators.

Let me explain how negotiations work and are executed. Both sides get some of what they want and some of what they wished they had (but had to give away to get the deal done). Well, once the deal is done however, one side doesn’t just enforce the things they like and ignore the things they don’t like. That is the very definition of bad faith.

f**k these players and the horse they rode in on if they don’t live up to the deal that Hartzell put down. I suspect that was the gist of the conversation between the players and Hartzell/CDC.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I suspect — as others have mentioned — that CDC/Hartzell did not manage the negotiations well. For the concessions the administration made, they should have required that The Eyes be taken off the table by the players. Had the players not agreed, then CDC/Hartzell should have pulled back all the concessions that had been offered.

30. giveemhell

giveemhell 1,000+ Posts

Just curious, where did you go to school, and what year did you graduate?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.