The Eyes of Texas

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by 1963_Frosh, Oct 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Of course. They are individuals, not a group.

2. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Exactly so why would they want to come here with things like this happening? Let someone make a mistake or do something that you all don't see fit and everything goes to chaos. The way fans have treated and talked down about players over the song and the way they degraded Joshua Moore last year when he made a mistake. These players are human and some seem to think they are puppets for the University. I guarantee everyone in here has done something that some would not like while they were in college. It's easy to judge on the outside but like I was saying you think those "transfers" are not going to ask other players about what it's like and once word gets out that fans treat players bad nobody is going to want to come here.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  3. MajorRules00

MajorRules00 500+ Posts

The people who want to destroy The Eyes need to accept the fact that they lost. Badly. As far as I'm concerned, it's all water under the bridge now. Let's beat OSU!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

The UK Daily Mail quoted our esteemed LHB drum major as saying she won't conduct The Eyes anymore because she learned the song isn't inclusive. Even taking into account the borrowing of the "eyes of the South are upon you" which itself isn't some kind of racist code word, or the fact that the song was performed at a minstrel show (like many many other songs of the day), how the hell does she come to the conclusion the song isn't inclusive? Its LITERALLY the school song. Its for ALL UT students, alumni and fans. How the F isn't it inclusive?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

Maybe I’d feel differently if all of my UT semesters were paid by someone else.

• Like Like x 3
  6. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Myself also, full time student, full time worker working crappy jobs. Being able to be a student athlete with a scholarship was nothing but a dream. I woulda sacrificed my body in a heartbeat. JJ seems like a person who's never earned anything in his/her life.

7. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Dude, I do know what I’m talking about.
    That is the point.
    Do me a favor, police departments have a ride along....please, please commit to 3 ride alongs and then maybe you’ll know what you’re taking about as well.
    Betcha don’t.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  8. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

JJ, the point everyone's making is that it should actually mean something when a protest/stand is taken. Some don't think the Eyes is a problem and may think it's ridiculous for players to unify over that. This is where it gets iffy. AA's make up over 50% and (ask Bear Bryant), make a difference athletically on the football field, improving any school's chances of winning. But does being AA mean that there is constantly a problem and if one AA is bothered then every AA has a problem? And what if a couple/several AA players don't think the Eyes are a big deal and they choose to stand for it voluntarily? Are they now sellouts? Some say there needs to be a minor league system outside of college football, where players go to get paid as 18 year olds. I've been against it because I think it'll make college football look like college baseball. Maybe it's time for that. Don't know. All of us have pride in UT and want our teams to have pride in that too. Most of us would agree on obvious signs of discrimination, but get bothered (as you can see) when nitpicky issues are brought up. That's all....

9. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

It's time to retire this thread.

We won, the haters of the Eyes of Texas lost. No sense in engaging those who now wish to broaden the topic to other, irrelevant issues.

The team played well and got a good win in.

They also stayed around, as a team, for the appreciation ceremony with the fans.

Coincidence - probably not.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

LMAO!! He makes $50k/month!!

11. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I agree. And this was one of my hot buttons- you’re right. Even if JJ tries to bait me. I’m done.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.