The fall out of Kelvin Sampson Again.....

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by longhornfan2818, Mar 26, 2008.

1. longhornfan2818

longhornfan2818 250+ Posts

2. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

You can have the foundation for a good All-American team taking his decommits.

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

3. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

Another article alluding to an out clause, only this time it refers to "an addendum to the Big Ten letter-of-intent."

I've mentioned several times now in threads about Ebanks and Holloway such an "addendum" or "out clause" would be contrary to the express language of letters of intent and the purpose of the letter of intent program.

Does anyone have a link to a webpage showing the actual text of the letter of intent? I have a hard time imagining that such language actually appears in the letter of intent and that the CCA or the NCAA would have ruled that other schools were bound to honor such a letter.

4. Don Johnson

Don Johnson 250+ Posts

5. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

I googled it and came up with this:
    The Link

which is a link from:The Link

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

6. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

Thanks for the effort Horn69, but that's just a standard release form which any recruit can use to ask for a release for pretty much any reason, but the school is not required to grant it. All the stories being written about Ebanks and Holloway make references to some kind of out clause being in the text of the letter of intent itself, and I was looking for a copy of the letter itself to see if those stories are true.

I suspect they are not for several reasons. First, the NLI text expressly states the recruit is bound to the school, not the coach. Second, the coaches cannot grant any release or waive any of the provisions. Third, the stories about Ebanks and Holloway seeking releases have been floating around for over a month. If the letter really had an out clause, one would think IU would have had to grant the releases without delay.

So, maybe I'm wrong, but I still say it's ********.

Edit: Ah, here you go. The text of the NLI states in paragraph 15, "No Additions or Deletions Allowed to NLI. No additions or deletions may be made to this NLI or the Release Request Form."

The Link

Now, what is really interesting is if someone pops up a document showing that IU did amend the text of the NLI. Then it could be kicked out of the program.

The Link

But, as I said in the Holloway thread, I feel fairly sure the IU AD wasn't dumb enough to risk that.

7. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

I don't know how I feel about this. I do think many kids have been screwed over when the coach they signed up to play for is canned or sticks around just to the end of the season and trades up. Isn't fair to the players IMO.

8. AustinBadger

AustinBadger 250+ Posts

Not an IU fan by any stretch but I feel somewhat sad for that historically elite program to be so sullied by Sampson.

Somewhere Robert Knight is laughing.

9. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

10. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

11. Dude

Dude 1,000+ Posts

12. Third Coast

Third Coast 10,000+ Posts

Supposedly Sampson really wanted the Texas gig after Penders left. Thank God we went in a different direction.

13. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

What I heard was, there was a feel-out of interest, with Texas making the call, but I don't think it ever got serious on either side.

I just am thankful that Phil Ford or Bob Bender didn't get the job. UT probably would be the second replacement of either guy by now.

14. CrimsonShark

CrimsonShark < 25 Posts

15. skyranger43

skyranger43 100+ Posts

Reminds me of Dandy Don Meredith's old saying, "If's and buts were candy and nuts, we would all have a Merry Christmans!"