THE FINAL LOST

Discussion in 'Cactus Cafe' started by HornHawk, May 23, 2010.

1. HornHawk

HornHawk 250+ Posts

So were they all dead from the beginning and were just in Purgatory until they could redeem themselves or let go of the things that were holding control over their lives? Or did they all die when the bomb went off at the end of last season? Or is there some other explanation? I'm thinking there's another explanation, but I'm still mulling it over in my head.

This ending will be debated for a long time, for sure.

2. ProdigyDub

ProdigyDub 500+ Posts

Here's your "some other explanation," which I think fits with the explanation given by Christian to Jack at the end there--

I think everything we saw other than the alternate reality was real (i.e., they weren't all already dead when the plane crashed or after the bomb; they died when we saw them each die). Christian pretty specifically said that they all died at different times--Jack died at the very end, Juliet died when the bomb went off, Kate/Miles/Sawyer/etc. presumably all died after they got home from the plane and lived out their lives, Hurley died after protecting the island for thousands of years once he passed on the job, etc.

The alternate reality then is just this sort of timeless construct where they meet up once they're all dead.

3. A. BETTIK

A. BETTIK 1,000+ Posts

I get it now. Fair enough. But I still prefer to have my mind blown a little sooner and spread out more over time than in the last five minutes.

4. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

was NOT as bas as I anticipated...it was much much worse... in fact, nearly laughable..

5. Horns2005

Horns2005 250+ Posts

I for one loved it. There was no way they were going to please everyone, so I'm glad they took some chances with the finale. Lots of awesome payoffs for the loyal fans: Jack and Locke colliding as the light/dark, science/faith imagery continued; love as the constant, since it's what kept Desmond grounded in real life; and Terry O Quinn and Michael Emerson acting their asses off.

The idea that the alt-universe was some sort of split-second purgatory matches up with Juliet's coffee line at the beginning of the season, and with the idea that Ben, Michael and Ana Lucia and their respective guilt, were not ready to enter into the church.

It wasn't perfect, and there were some cheap loopholes (how do Jack and Juliet have a son in purgatory?), but it was a really well done episode. I especially appreciate the writers not making some random open end (Sopranos, Dallas, etc.) and calling it artistic. It's just more that made this show ballsier than 99.9% of scripted television.

6. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Prodigy nailed it. That's exactly what happened.

If you were looking for a bunch of answers and explanations of the mechanics... well you should have known that wasn't going to happen by now. Under the circumstances, I thought it was a great way to end it up.

7. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

I enjoyed the jimmy kimmel alternate ending with bob newhart and evangeline lilly....but i did enjoy the final episode.

8. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Very emotional.

Having Vincent come and lay by Jack so that he wouldn't die alone, got to me. I thought that was a stroke of genius. And, of course, Jack's last sight was the Ajira plane carrying the few survivors back to the world. His selfless act paid off for a few people. And, of course, he was rewarded when he reunited with his friends in the after life.

A surprisingly Christian message. I liked it alot.

9. parkerco

parkerco 500+ Posts

I feel cheated. I know plenty of people will say I do not get it, but you can't spend six seasons posing all these mysteries and just leave them hanging. These mysteries were a central part of the show, and then rather than explain them they do the whole purgatory copout?

Perhaps they did explain them and I'm just too dense to figure it out, but the few mysteries they did explain they beat us over the head with (whispers, adam and eve), so that leads me to believe they had no answer for these the entire time they were writing the show.

10. 7 Iron

7 Iron 500+ Posts

I loved it. Couldn't have ended any better.

I do have one question - why didn't Ben go inside with the rest of them? Did he not feel worthy?

11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The catalyst moments/reunions were my fav parts --

Charley and Claire
    Sawyer and Juliette
    Jack and his dad
    the Kwon moment
    Sayid and blondie (least favorite, but still a redemtpive moment)

Emotionally powerful scenes all IMO.

Most of the lingering questions dont bother me as its good to leave some mystery. Except for the numbers. I was hoping for more on those. There was some clarity given although if put on a timeline it never really adds up ;-) Still, well done and glad its over with a well-developed conclusion.

One of the best television series ever. And probably the most innovative. ABC has had the best creative team among the over-the-air network for several years, including this year with Flash Forward (and to a lesser extent V). Fox is probably second. NBC has needed to clean house for a decade.

12. UTViking

UTViking 250+ Posts

After crashing on the island, did anyone ever remove the wreckage from the beach?

13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Nominees for three best scenes by an indvidual -- any arguments?

(1) Kate at her best --

[​IMG]

(2) The day Kate loses Aaron --

[​IMG]

(3) Kate swimming with Sawyer --

[​IMG]

14. ChazUTX

ChazUTX 250+ Posts

15. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

Did he not feel worthy?

Partly guilt, partly not being ready and partly maybe being old Ben...lol. Before the show I was hoping for a more positive ending. in a way it was but death is always a sad conclusion. i liked the stained glass window in the chuch room where jack met his dad. i think it had all faiths and a yin yang sign in it.

16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

18. mia1994

mia1994 1,000+ Posts

19. dxspaz

dxspaz 250+ Posts

I'm not to crazy about Sayid ending up with Shannon as his forever. I thought he loved Nadia? Shannon was just some floozy he met on a beach who was convenient.

20. ProdigalHorn

The Shannon-Sayid thing I think reflected the idea that all of them were connected by the island.

As for the greatest moments montage above, can I add Kate in the black cocktail dress? Wow....

The problem with getting all the answers is that invariably it tends to be a letdown - when you try to explain a big, mystical, magical show, sometimes it's tough to get all the way back to an explanation that's satisfying, makes sense and doesn't leave you feeling jilted. In some ways it's probably better that much of it did not get explained.

BTW did anyone notice whether Michael was in the last scene? I didn't see him but then I wasn't looking and didn't think about it until just now.

So when did you know what was going on? I suspected a couple of times early on but when Kate told Jack that she'd missed him for so long, that was what clinched it for me.

21. Horns2005

Horns2005 250+ Posts

22. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

i have a question...if the island was one big cork designed to keep evil on the island, how come when the power turned off locke turned mortal? the show was character driven and was about these characters journey but the whole good/evil thing on the island was more or less a diversion or was never resolved. what is the energy source on the island? its what you believe it to be i guess.

23. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

I thought it was interesting that each character who flashed back to the island existence "got it" immediately and it set off fireworks everytime ....Sawyer / Juliet, Charlie / Claire, Sayid / Shannon.... except good old, man of science, Jack. I mean when Kate came up in that black cocktail dress I thought, "here we go", but no, not Jack. He even started to flash and resisted. Damn, what a hard head!

What did you make of Locke's statement; "Jack you don't have a son". Jack looked puzzled. Especially since the boy was at the concert.

By the way, Claire looked like she really was pregnant. I think she's been enjoying the good life a little too much.

24. Mesohorny

Mesohorny 1,000+ Posts

A satisfying ending to a great series. I agree w/ ProdigyDub re what it has been about all these years. Wimp and believer that I am, the scenes of Charlie and Claire reawakening/reuniting, Aaron's birth, and Jack's passing all brought tears to my eyes.

I also enjoyed the bits from previous episodes showing the characters reading fan letters; clever, if not self-congratulatory.

In the 2-hour prologue, they talked abt all of the Easter Eggs throughtout the series, I knew abt the numbers' sequence and the surnames, but had never noticed the books different characters were reading. Must rewatch my box sets over the next several yrs.

Gonna miss this show for sure.

25. Nuge

Nuge 100+ Posts

RE: the commercials in the prologue. I liked how they tied into the show. There was footage from when Locke was chasing the wild boar from early on and then it flashed into a bbq sauce ad. Very clever.

Overall, I liked the ending and now will start the process of re-watching the entire series on my netflix instant queue.

I knew that there was no way to answer all of the questions but I actually like the mystery vs a lame attempt to cover everything. I've been reading comments from people on other sites that are going on about how the ending makes them feel like they've wasted the last 6 years. Really? Were you not entertained? Isn't that all a fictional television show should provide? I wish there was a way to give an e-***** slap. Hmmm...

26. ProdigalHorn

27. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

^^^^

Very insightful ProdigalHorn.

28. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

indeed, Flash Forward is cancelled. They dropped from something like 12 million viewers to 4 million. Just not enough people watching it.

Also, I have no idea why anyone thought that the finale was very Christian at all. There is of course a number of complex theological threads and I won't try to unpack them all here, but just mention a few.
    Jimmy Kimmel (who I like, so I am no hater) mentioned the Christian theme as well, but was wrong. He stated that Christianity believes that our earthly life is a test and that good people go to heaven and that bad people go to hell. This of course it antithetical to Christianity, and so I have no idea where he even got that Christians teach/believe that. He did sum up the ending of LOST fairly well by saying that. All the 'good' people made it into the church, but even Ben, who did a great deal of good was still in 'limbo' and wasn't ready to move on.
    In the church where Jack went to see the coffin there was a stainedglass window on behind him. It actually has symbols from most of the worlds major religions. Christianity, Hinduism, Judaism, Islam, and Toaism were just the ones I can remember right now. Of course Christians believe that all humans are sinful and do not deserve heaven. Christianity teaches that humans are totally depraved and that they cannot be saved by their own good deeds. This is why Christians believe in Jesus as a Saviour; because we cannot save ourselves.

29. ProdigyDub

ProdigyDub 500+ Posts

30. ProdigalHorn