The First 100 days

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by theiioftx, Nov 10, 2016.

1. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Regardless of who you voted for, what would you like to see in the first 100 days? I would like the following:

- void the Iran deal
    - develop plan to replace Obamacare
    - reduce corporate taxes
    - kill Obama executive order on immigration
    - appoint new SCOTUS preferably Ted Cruz

2. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Tax reform

• Like Like x 2
  3. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Oh and fiscal budget constraints.

• Like Like x 1
  4. texas_ex2000

texas_ex2000 2,500+ Posts

All of those in the OP and he needs to do at least 1 or 2 bipartisan/non-conservative actions. E.g., putting that womens maternity leave policy Ivanka developed in front of Congress ASAP and detailing his expansion of legal immigration programs.

If he tells Ryan, "I'm not signing the Obamacare defunding unless you also give me Ivanka's maternity leave bill," approval rating will go through the f'in roof.

Man...I should do this for a living, haha.

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  5. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Take an extended vacation? :p

6. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Funny, but I expect Trump will not take very many vacations. Most entrepreneurs prefer work.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

I agree with Ann Coulter:

Day 1 start the Wall
    Day 2 continue building the Wall
    Day 3 continue building the Wall
    Day 4 continue building the Wall
    Day 5 continue building the Wall
    Days 6-99 continue building the Wall
    Day 100: Report to American people about progress of wall. Keep building the wall.

8. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

Hopefully tax reform especially lowering the corporate tax will be his top priority. Need to spur some real growth. Next should be reforming Obamacare.

I have never understood why the wall was so important. There are plenty of ways to bypass a wall especially if it will not even cover much of the southern border. Still can easily cross a river or dig a tunnel. I guess he has to do something given his campaign but I hope he doesn't waste too much effort on it.

9. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

"The wall" is partially built already.

For me, if he just gets the SCOTUS pick right, I will forgive just about everything else.

• Like Like x 3
  10. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Normally I agree with you, but I think immigration reform wil take years if done right.

11. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Catholic like Sarkisian

Kick Baylor out.

• Like Like x 8
  12. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

In response to the specific suggestions you and others have made:

Void the Iran deal. Security issues are somewhat unique because they are based, by their very nature, on classified information. If Trump announces what he is going to do before he has time to fully digest all of the classified information that bears on the question, then he is acting as a politician instead of as a leader. On the other hand, if he takes a hard look at the intelligence surrounding the deal and considers other options and ramifications, and if after all that he concludes that the deal should be breached or renegotiated, great.

Develop plan to replace Obamacare. Contingent on what the plan is, I agree. He can't just repeal Obamacare.

Reduce corporate taxes. I agree.

Kill Obama executive order on immigration.
    I agree with killing much, but not all, of what Obama has done in the immigration field. The real question is what Trump does to replace Obama's policies. I suspect I will oppose most of that.

Appoint new SCOTUS preferably Ted Cruz. I'm sure none of you will be surprised to hear that I disagree with you on this one. One of the fun things about Trump is that you can't trust anything he says, so you can hope for anything. I'm hoping against hope that Melania and/or Ivanka will make him appoint a right-leaning moderate (think somewhere between Roberts and Stevens).

Fiscal restraints. Yes, yes, yes.

Tax reform. Depends on what that means.

Expansion of legal immigration and/or paid maternity leave.
    Yes. Having a major bi-partisan accomplishment early on is one of the most important things Trump can do.

• Like Like x 3
  13. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

Out of the Big 12, or out of the country?

14. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Catholic like Sarkisian

Let the electoral college decide :yes:

15. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Didn't we already do that?

• Like Like x 1
  16. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

Great response. I know you are a lawyer, who would you appoint.

17. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

If they can't get it better than what we originally had before Obamacare then scrap it. Just doing something to be doing it is no longer acceptable.

18. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Completely agree. Just put it back the way it was before Obamacare and I am happy.

19. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

All along Trump used the phrase repeal AND replace.Some of the areas discussed were portability and if course letting the marketplace competition help contain costs.
    There were other ideas,some of them suggested by Pubs back as Obama are was rimmed through by Obama and demo
    I am willing to give him a chance on this

20. Seattle Husker

Need to do something. Costs were increasing at ~15-20% per year before the ACA. These increases are an unsustainable drag on our economy.

21. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

This is a hard question for a lawyer who, like me, rarely practices in Federal Court and never outside New Jersey. I become familiar with SCOTUS candidates when rumors start to spread and I research the ones whose names are in the news. Thus, I'm generally familiar with the range of choices that Obama has considered over the years, as well as the far-right options that Trump put forward. However, I don't know all that much about the range of choices that are center-right, especially if they aren't from the Third Circuit (NJ, PA, DE, and the Virgin Islands).

One option I know of is Michael Fisher. He was a career prosecutor and long-time Republican member of the PA legislature. He ultimately because AG, then lost an election for governor in the early 2000s. George W appointed him to the Third Circuit, where he still sits. Fisher is generally regarded as conservative but fair. I'm not sure he has the intellectual skills to be on SCOTUS, but I don't know anything about him that would make him a horrible choice. Of course, I'd need to know more about him before saying he'd be my pick.

I'm sure there are others out there I'd like better than Fisher. I just don't know about them.

As an afterthought just before hitting "Post Reply", Chris Christie came to mind. I dislike him immensely, but I think he might make a decent SCOTUS justice.

22. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

I totally agree. The system before ACA was better than ACA in some ways, and worse in others. Both were completely unacceptable, and simply going back to how things were before would be a disaster.

23. texas_ex2000

texas_ex2000 2,500+ Posts

One thing new Presidents seem to talk about a lot is the history of the Oval Office. They talk about the legacy of the Resolute Desk. The American Art - Remington's Bronco Buster, the Hoppers and Peales hanging on the walls, etc. from the Smithsonian.

This is going to sound weird, but I don't want Trump to talk or even think about any of that. I do not want him to think like a professional politician, or a history nerd, or a military officer, or a Constitutional lawyer - some Aaron Sorkin character on a TV show. I want him to think like a businessman and sit in the Oval Office as a businessman.

He probably has no idea what the Resolute Desk is or can name one artist of any painting there, that's fine with me. Stay in your lane Donald.

• Like Like x 3
  24. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

I keep hearing this and I got to say that mine never went up anywhere close to that %. Many years it didn't even change. My dads went up when he got to around 70 years old but that's because he was a higher risk and it wasn't 20%.

25. Seattle Husker

Keep in mind the primary reason it was accelerating and projected to continue to accelerate: Baby boomers. A much higher utilization of healthcare due an aging population was unavoidable. Just as forcing insurance companies to cover pre-existing conditions was going to drive up the cost, we're all paying for the elderly.

26. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

I think there are huge regional variations. My premiums have increased more slowly since ACA than they did before. Others have had the opposite experience. I do think the overall average premium has increased faster than before, but not by nearly as much as the far right would have us believe.

27. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

That's a big part of it. Another big part is that care is getting more expensive. People who would have died within months a decade ago are now getting treatment that costs hundreds of thousands of dollars acutely, and more long-term. Paying for that drives costs up sharply, no matter what insurance system you put in place.

28. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

That's a pretty broad range.

29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts