The First 100 days

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by theiioftx, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Why is it that so much of the left is predisposed to hyperbolic emotional overreaction like this?
    Is this ground zero to explain the primary difference between voters?
    Dems are "emotional thinkers"
    Whereas Reps prefer facts, logic, reason and rational thought?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

3. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

It has to be a "mental wiring" issue. Emotion, extrapolation, precision arguments, and presupposing results rather than specifying processes are common mistakes made by libs. It is endless.

4. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

You're right. I won't admit that it was a clever litigation tactic. People were going to scrutinize Curiel's rulings anyway, because Trump was the subject of the litigation, which was taking place during the presidential campaign. He didn't have to trash talk him or call him a "Mexican" for that to happen. And I'm not sure the tactic served him very well. He ended up settling for quite a bit of money. Compared to most class action plaintiffs, the Trump University plaintiffs did pretty well.

5. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Or maybe they just appear that way trying to justify their screwy positions, such as it's OK to kill a baby but not OK to kill a guy who murdered a family.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I was thinking about the use of this term

Where I grew up, the twin girls directly across the street where Swedish. Later in life, they actually won a cooking contest with their secret family Swedish Meatball Recipe (true story). These Swedish girls were 3rd generation Americans of course.

The kid next door to them was one of my best friends. His mom was proud Irish Catholic. The dad of Rice U and the US Navy was slightly less proud Polish Catholic. My friend had the red hair and drinking ability of his mom. He told everyone he was Irish-Polish. Just like the twins, he was American too.

Down the street was our other best bud. They were Germans. He even went to Lutheran school until High School. We called his dad Adolph for years (much later in life I became close friends with the dad. Funny how that works. Just buried him a few months ago). They were as American as anyone else.

On the corner was my Italian buddy. Huge family (now famous in Houston rest. circles). When introduced, they all self-described as "Italian." They were, of course, Americans. In fact, proudly hanging in their hallway in a frame was their grandparents' Galveston entry papers. I was always a little jealous of these guys with their gigantic family meals every Sunday around the same table (which they always invited us to join, of course).

The next street over were the other two guys we hung with the most, two Czech families. These are the ones who hit the genetic lottery with most of both families living well into their 90s. They had funny sounding last names and always had to explain they were Czech. They were all 3rd or 4th generation Americans.

The guy I sat with most in Junior High, ate lunch with and played Little League with was Timmy Ortiz. He told everyone he was "Mezcan," even though I knew both his parents were born here (bc my dad did their legal work). I will never forget the bases-loaded triple I got off him.

There were others too. I was in school with a Winnegrad one street over whose house was always dark at Christmas (Jewish). My next door neighbors, who ran a cleaners, were Slavs. We had two Smith families (Germans) on my street who had the misfortune of living next door to each other. And so on and so forth.

So I dont necessarily see being called Mexican (or Irish-Polish, or anything else) the vicious insult you and your reflexive auto-likes see it as. This is the way Americans (of a certain age at least) speak. Or spoke. It was a common way of describing not just yourself but your closest friends. There was nothing derogatory about it. This is just how people talked. It was actually kind of cool to have Swedish and Irish and Italian friends and neighbors. Many here would not concede this crowd as diverse, but it was to me.

ps - We also had the Shipely clan (Houston donut chain) on our little street, but I cant remember what they were. I bet you can guess what they gave out for Halloween

8. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

It's one thing to describe my kid's soccer coach as "that Mexican guy". Where I grew up we described people as the black kid, the Indian kid, etc. It's another thing for the defendant in the Trump University lawsuit to refer to the judge presiding over the case in this manner: "In June 2016, Trump pilloried Curiel in explicitly racist terms, telling CNN’s Jake Tapper: “He’s a Mexican. We’re building a wall between here and Mexico. … I’ve had horrible rulings, I’ve been treated very unfairly by this judge. Now, this judge is of Mexican heritage. … Look, he’s proud of his heritage, OK? I’m building a wall.” Trump also called Curiel “a hater.”

There's no defense of this among polite society or, you know, normal people. It's not a huge deal given where we've gone since then. But, Barry Switzer, that's bad PR.

9. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Well, you can say Mexican, just not Puerto Rican.

10. ProdigalHorn

That's not racism. It's crude, it's completely inappropriate, and it's demeaning to a sitting judge to imply that person has a bias based on an assumed heritage, but it's not racist.

Although I suppose that if Trump didn't know whether the judge was actually from Mexico and just assumed he was Mexican (as opposed to El Salvador or Guatamala or somewhere), you could probably make that argument. But again, that's more cultural insensitivity - all Latinos are Mexican, all Asians are Chinese, all white people are Anglos... oh wait, that's not insensitive.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

I think it's only crude when you say it out loud. Keep it to yourself. However, it's not stupid to think that a Latino judge who is liberal will probably be swayed by identity politics. Luckily, this judge wasn't.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  12. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Mexico is not a race.

• Like Like x 1
  13. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

He wasn’t after Trump said not to.

14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Now that Tax Reform is completed, we have already seen Trump begin to pivot to trade policy. My guess is that several folks inside the Administration who were on board to help get tax reform through Congress are not necessarily the right people for this next issue. So I expect to seem some more turnover in this area.

Here is a long video with Wilbur Ross on a panel at the World Economic Forum discussing free trade. It's probably longer than most of you care to watch so I will point to a couple of instances where Ross shows some backbone and gives a good indication that the US is finally ready to fight back against all these bad trade deals that have piled up on us over the years.
    See ~14:50 and you can hear a pin drop in the room in the face of Ross correcting the historical record.
    Again ~17:30 Ross shows he is not just there to get along

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  15. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Hey, watch it buster. Texas don't need no stinking reform!

16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

lol
    (Noting Big Tex was rebuilt)

17. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Dow up 350
    (on news that Oscar viewing fell by another 20% to a new record low)

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
  19. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

That’s kind of funny.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Yo Barrack, put this in yo pipe and smoke it

• Like Like x 2
  21. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Yep, Crazy Trump and his crazy rhetoric and tweeting has, gasp, once again proven to be less than maniacal, as depicted by the MSM. I'm sure Mattis, et al, are chomping at the bit to talk with Rocket Man and lay down the law.

22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

CNN is down 19% from last year with only 1 show in the top 25

[​IMG]

23. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

The baby boomers do love their 24/7 fear and loathing.

24. ProdigalHorn

I think you misread... he said CNN is DOWN in ratings.

• Like Like x 1
  25. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

It still blows my mind that Rachel Maddow is that high up. Well honestly I’m surprised Hannity is #1 too. I cannot watch over 5 minutes of her and last only 10 min with him (if that long).

• Like Like x 5
  26. ProdigalHorn

I think both have a personality that appeals to their demographic. Sean is a "regular guy" type who talks about things in really simple, general (and therefore often inaccurate or incomplete) way, but is very much on point with specific messages that he knows his audience cares about. Rachel is a smug, sanctimonious member of two oppressed identity groups (gay and female) who looks really smart and uses big words so she sounds smart even when she's making things up or doesn't know what she's talking about, and she makes her viewers feel superior for watching her.

• Like Like x 2
  27. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I wouldn't watch Madcow if MSNBC paid me hard cash to do so.

• Like Like x 2
  28. ProdigalHorn

I would if they paid me enough for a full time job, at which point I would launch and monetize my blog entitled "Stuff Rachel Maddow Doesn't Understand."

29. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Yep, right on. Both appeal to stupid people, but Maddow appeals to stupid people who think they're smart.

• Like Like x 2
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Ahem ....