The First 100 days

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by theiioftx, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  2. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Those video recaps of smug, piece of **** liberals watching their world fall apart never, ever get old.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

JF
    :yippee:
    Thanks
    will smirk all day
    but to be honest i only voted for him to keep her out.
    So glad I did.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

I still enjoy clips of news coverage on election night 16. So much of the TV press was almost gleeful at the beginning of the evening. As the election of Trump became possible, then probable, and finally a certainty, the mood changed from excitement to nervousness to despair. So funny to see them forget to mask themselves. Chuck Todd, Andrea Mitchell, Martha Raddatz, and so many others began to lash out and make ridiculous statements. In general, the press treated the news of Trump's election as a typical person does a death in the family. I enjoyed the press' grief too much.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

No 4th
    One simply can NOT enjoy the press brief too much.

6. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Trump made a safe pick. Link. In other words he made a mediocre pick, which is sad because the Democrats and the media will very predictably crap in their pants either way. He could have nominated Merrick Garland, and they would have found a reason to crap in their pants. They would say that he was trying to steal Obama's legacy.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Dude married a Longhorn

• Like Like x 3
  8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Leaving White House en route to Europe, President Trump previews the week ahead --

"I have NATO, I have the UK, which is in somewhat turmoil, and I have Putin. Frankly, Putin may be the easiest of them all – who would think?"

9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Soros forked out to have them prepared

[​IMG]

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The unpredictable John McCain is on board with Kavanaugh
    Probably closes the door on it

----------------------

• Like Like x 1
  11. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

I hope so. We'll see if Murkowski and Collins come on board. Maybe a few Dems from Red states will not follow Durbin's advice and vote for him. He certainly said all the right things in his acceptance speech.

12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Have you given any thought to where we would be today had Hillary won? Maybe Barrack "You Can Keep It" Obama and Loretta "Tarmac" Lynch on and onto their way to the Court.

Almost every day I wonder about people who think they are conservative or libertarian who were yet willing to risk letting something like this happen

13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Not necessarily. He needs to hold Murkowski or Collins (assuming no Democrats vote for Kavanaugh and all other Republicans vote for him). Paul Begala is a throbbing tool and gets some things wrong here, but I think he does have a point. Kavanaugh isn't a solid conservative. He's a party and corporate hack, which will make it easier for red state Democrats to vote "No," than if he had nominated a staunch conservative.

In an earlier time (when even liberal Democrats could vote for a GOP supreme court nominee if he wasn't too controversial), a Kavanaugh pick would have made sense. However, with a rabidly polarized Senate (and country), it makes little sense. 90 percent of the Democratic caucus is voting against whomever he picks. He may as well go with Amy Coney Barrett or someone of that ilk and prepare for war. He might have lost Collins and/or Murkowski (though the "gender card" would have made it much tougher for them to oppose her), but it would have put a ton of pressure on Donnelly, Manchin, Heitkamp, Tester, Jones, and McCaskill (the small percentage of the Democratic caucus that isn't an automatic "No") to vote for her.

But instead of getting a sure conservative, we're going to get someone who will most likely be an Anthony Kennedy starter-kit. He won't be a liberal catastrophe like David Souter or John Paul Stevens, but he's not likely to vote to reverse crappy liberal decisions of the past like Roe. It's a blown opportunity. Guess we'll have to wait for Ruth Bader Ginsburg to get too decrepit or senile to serve to have another chance.

Lloyd Doggett and Sarah Weddington are Longhorns too. Plenty of crappy people are Longhorns.

• Like Like x 1
  15. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

@Mr. Deez, are you saying she falls in with crappy Longhorns?

16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Somewhere between 52-54 votes is my guess
    So that we will have a record for later, you are saying less than 50

17. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

No, I'm just saying that it's meaningless.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

This is a terrible pick and the best case scenario for democrats. Their oppoisition is truly humorous.

^ The democrats in opposition to a moderate pick are really coming off as mindless.

• Like Like x 2
  19. horninchicago

The Hell you say! You just lost all credibility. :p

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Honestly, I'm not sure. My main point here is that it's a blown opportunity. Kavanaugh will get McCain and likely get Murkowski and Collins, but I could see him losing Manchin, Tester, McCaskill, and Jones. And do we necessarily want Murkowski and Collins? And I'm asking that genuinely, not rhetorically. Would they really vote for someone who is a serious risk to overturn Roe? Hard to imagine.

What I would have preferred to see is him pick Barrett, let the Democrats go ape-****. (They're doing that anyway.) Put pressure on Collins and Murkowski to support her because she's a woman. (In Washington, people care about stupid **** like that.) Go to war on the red-state Dems to vote for her. I think they could pick up enough to mitigate the loss of Collins and Murkowski (if they bolt anyway). If they don't, let her get voted down and condemn those who crapped on a well-qualified, intelligent woman. Kick the living hell out of the red-state Dems who screwed her, beat them in November, and then reappoint her in the next Congress.

• Like Like x 3
  21. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Keep in mind that I went to UT-Dallas and Baylor Law School, so are you surprised that I wouldn't fall all over myself to eulogize UT alumni? lol

22. horninchicago

What do I know? I'm an airline pilot who attended UT but never got a degree for chrissakes! If you saw me, you'd say I'm as dumb as I look.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Sangre Naranjada

Yeah, he married a Longhorn, but here's the problem I have with her. When he mentioned her school, she didn't even flash a Hook 'em. I get that there was no need to go all :hookem3::headbang: at the mention of UT, but a quick little Horns Up would have been nice.

• Like Like x 2
  24. horninchicago

True, but to be fair, if an aggie did their thumbs up with a whoop, we would ridicule the person into Boilivian! It would not sit well.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Sangre Naranjada

Yeah, well, f aggy.

• Like Like x 2
  26. horninchicago

No argument here! :hookem:

27. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Are you suggesting that they're equivalent? I'm not a Longhorn, but I can see and appreciate the distinction between a tasteful :hookem: and an obnoxious Aggie whooping like a jackass. When I was stupid and "bootie-blind" enough to date an Aggie, she did that stupid whoop in public (even in Austin). Friggin' embarrassing.

• Like Like x 3
  28. horninchicago

Oh good Lawd no! Not equal. Yes, they are embarrassing everywhere they go. I made the mistake of going to an aggie wedding once. Once.

• Like Like x 2
  29. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

If they just did it at football games and school functions, I wouldn't care. However, the idea of interrupting a speech or doing it in a quiet setting (like a nice restaurant) or a solemn occasion like a wedding is juvenile and stupid beyond comprehension.

• Like Like x 2
  30. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Right up there with cries of Boomer! Sooner! at the Heisman ceremony.

• Like Like x 1