The First 100 days

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by theiioftx, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

"No man of genuinely superior intelligence has ever been an actor." —H. L. Mencken

3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

"The Trump Administration May Evict the Press from the White House"

"..... "There has been no decision," Sean Spicer, Trump's press secretary, said about the plan today. But Spicer acknowledged that "there has been some discussion about how to do it."

Spicer cast the possible relocation of the press corps as a matter, in part, of logistics. "There's been so much interest in covering a President Donald Trump," he said. "A question is: Is a room that has forty-nine seats adequate? When we had that press conference the other day, we had thousands of requests, and we capped it at four hundred. Is there an opportunity to potentially allow more members of the media to be part of this? That's something we're discussing."

Another senior official, however, suggested a more pointed motivation for the move. According to the official, the potential relocation reflected a view within the transition team that coverage of Trump has been so hostile as to indicate that the press has abandoned its role as neutral observer.

"They are the opposition party," a senior official says. "I want 'em out of the building. We are taking back the press room."

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/a52301/trump-evict-press-white-house/

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
  4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

"Drug testing floated for White House press corps"

"....The pee-in-a-cup proposal (yellow journalism indeed) was one of 13 ideas one candidate for White House press secretary wrote in November in a confidential memo to members of the Presidential Transition Team’s Executive Committee.

He didn’t get the job, and I am not naming him because his proposal could harsh the mellow of his fellow journalists.

Sean Spicer, who was spokesman for the Republican National Committee, is Trump’s press secretary, and told me, “I support whatever security measures are recommended by the Secret Service.”

http://pagesix.com/2017/01/13/drug-testing-floated-for-white-house-press-corps/

5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Obama's buddies

6. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

I35, in retrospect are you willing to admit that Trump is lying, at least with regards to CNN's recent fracas?

7. Seattle Husker

Could the real reason that the press briefing room needs to be moved be to fit Trump's cheering section into the room?

8. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

As opposed to the cheering section Obama has had in there for the past 8 years?

9. Seattle Husker

If you can post the equivalent of this cheering and jeering section for an Obama press conference I'll respond with a mea culpa.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

11. Seattle Husker

So, Trump didn't have a cheering section or props in the press conference? Imagine if the situation were reversed.

12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The people you hear at his pressers LOLng in the background are not the media
    YOU NITWIT

13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

it doesnt say election

15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

17. Seattle Husker

Did I say they were? They were paid staffers cheering/jeering in the room. That's the point isn't it? Trump needs room for his paid cheering section? Apparently Trump's ego may be more fragile then any of us knew that he needs a cheering section to help him cajole the media.

18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

20. Seattle Husker

Which strategy is this? I'll go with "distraction" but I'm torn with that and "deflection".

21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

need more?

22. Seattle Husker

Have you shown a paid cheering section yet? Props maybe? Softball questions by the media is hardly anything new for any POTUS.

23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

FIFY
    Were you not alive during Reagan?
    Bush?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  24. horninchicago

It is not surprising who doesn't get my metaphor of the WH press corps being a "cheering" section for Obama the last 8 years.

25. Seattle Husker

"Deflection"...definitely? Just respond to the actual footage of the Trump staffers cheering and jeering the media during the press conference.

26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Yes, I posted several.
    The media are all paid (or almost all, I guess)
    And they are Obama cheering sections
    The US media is itself the paid Obama cheering section.

I have read its mostly the interns who show up. But it doesnt really matter who it is. You just dont get it.

If I worked for him and was in the area, I would run (not walk) over to watch it.
    Even if I did not work for him or the admin, if I just happened to be in the area close enough to see one of these pressers, I would run (not walk) over just to see it. For free. People on our side love to see someone on our side, anyone really, finally standing up to the biased media. Finally! It happens so rarely that it is a MUST SEE event. All of Trump's pressers are must-see-TV. He could charge admission
    So, no, people are not paid to attend his conferences and jeer/cheer. Only someone who does not understand what he is looking at would think this. Which pretty much describes the majority of your posts.

27. horninchicago

I don't care about that just as I would not have cared if Obama had his staffers in a press conference when he was the President Elect.

28. Seattle Husker

I'm struggling here. Are you saying Sean Spicer failed by letting a bunch of uncontrolled interns/neophytes into the briefing without any rules of decorum for a press conference?

Notice, this may or may not be the way to handle tough questions from the media (yes, they do occur) but it's tremendously better than the way Trump did. Notice that Obama registers his disdain for the way the question was phrased then actually answers the question.

29. Seattle Husker

You don't see the difference between a POTUS press conference and a campaign rally? I find that hard to fathom.

30. horninchicago

He is not the president yet. I specifically said that if Obama had done the same when he was not president it would not bother me. I would hope Trump would not have staffers cheering after Friday.