The First 100 days

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by theiioftx, Nov 10, 2016.

1. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

I've never been a supporter of the wall. I think a wall can be effective but I think E-Verify is the much better solution.

Having said that...I think Trump should stick to his guns on the shutdown/wall negotiation. The Dems have basically said "we will never give you anything again" and dared him to play hard ball. I think he has to do this. Like so many other times, he stuck his foot in his mouth and made the negotiation harder with his "I own this shutdown" remark, but it's too late to turn back now.

If he caves now, he will NEVER get another thing done legislatively. His presidency will be 1 term and the last 2 years of that will basically just be unilateral administrative actions that will face 15 lawsuits from CA, NY, HI, et al.

2. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

UTCheE
    You beat me and likely SH to it.

BOSE yes absolutely Trump MUST start enforcing E-verify and that will stop a lot BUT it won't stop the hordes coming in to get on the welfare system nor will it slow down drugs
    We need it all to be done

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  4. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

This could be a long shutdown. I see very little reason for either side to give in. Any Democrat who compromises on the wall will get ousted in 2020 in the primary. If Trump gives in, it'll be the end of his presidency, because he'll never get anything passed through Congress again.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

Im curious if Trump can push the wall through by declaring a state of emergency as he claims. Sounds like a legal quagmire but will likely be his only option.

6. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I am not totally sure of what powers the President gains by declaring a state of emergency, but I have a hard time believing that it would allow him to bypass the constitutional appropriations process. During the Korean War, President Truman seized some steel plants under his inherent authority during an alleged emergency, and the Supreme Court shot him down in Youngstown Sheet and Tube v. Sawyer. Obviously there are limits on his emergency powers. I'd be pretty deferential to NJLonghorn on that point though. My recollection of that case is 17 years old, and I don't have time to review it now.

Either way, it would set a terrible precedent. The Wall isn't an emergency. And if we assume that it is, then we open up a Pandora's box of potential ******** emergencies when Democrats are in the White House.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  7. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Here is an interesting quote (without opinion from me) from Dalton Trumbo about appropriating industry for war (it's about a minute in from the spot I queued):

8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

9. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I wonder if we chipped in to pay for it?

11. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

All money that passes hands is fungible. Call it what you will.

12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Those two goobers looked stupid standing together. What the hell were they thinking? Was it just insecurity?

14. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

Turkey finished the Syria wall years ago, Joe. Old article.
    To your point, they are now building a wall between Turkey and Iran. With one planned for Turkey and Iraq.

15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

That was a trick, sorry. I said , "How do I get a liberal to concede the efficacy of walls?"

16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

They should probably just let AOR handle all their responses

Besides, one youve lost Jeff Bezos .....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  17. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

A thousand Texas land owners have been fighting the federal government since George Bush passed legislation in 2006 to build a fence on their private land.

But maybe now they’ve change their minds.

18. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Hot Hot x 2
  20. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Dang Trump and his angry tweets and polarizing style.

• Agree Agree x 2
  21. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Ah JF
    THAT is just conjecture.
    and manufactured.

Hard to not laugh at the crazed Haters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  22. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Some of them should know better. In fact, I have one of these crazed haters cyber-stalking me right now.

23. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Did you see that TC segment highlighting "manufactured" as their word of the day? It makes them look all like mindless automatons. Do they not care?

25. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

JF
    NO but I did see enough of them using the manufactured word to know they all rehearsed it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
  27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

How dumb do you have to be to not know Obama declared a national emergency over 12 times?

• Agree Agree x 3
  29. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

Sometimes, even the likes of Liz Cheney don't tolerate the "don't mind him, he says stupid ****".

30. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

What's really disturbing is that he lumps the very commendable "Western civilization" with the indefensible "white nationalism" and even more indefensible "white supremacy." He's basically accepting the far Left's narrative, which is that the three are synonymous.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019