The First 100 days

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by theiioftx, Nov 10, 2016.

1. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

What does your question say about you?

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Let's return to that system! The founder's intentions were so virtuous!

3. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

The founders didn't exclude non-citizens either.

4. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Who is this directed towards?

5. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

You

6. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

People might do well to remember it was the North who forced the South to accept the 3/5 a person definition of a slave as a compromise between counting them as people and not counting them at all.

7. Vol Horn 4 Life

Great, it says I'm curious about how you relate the 14th amendment to race. I used the other questions as examples of things actually mentioned in the amendment.

8. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

Fantastic. Putting Plessy and Brown aside, let’s go to Loving. In a unanimous decision, the Court held that distinctions drawn according to race were generally "odious to a free people" and were subject to "the most rigid scrutiny" under the Equal Protection Clause. The Virginia law, the Court found, had no legitimate purpose "independent of invidious racial discrimination." The Court rejected the state's argument that the statute was legitimate because it applied equally to both blacks and whites and found that racial classifications were not subject to a "rational purpose" test under the Fourteenth Amendment. The Court also held that the Virginia law violated the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. "Under our Constitution," wrote Chief Justice Earl Warren, "the freedom to marry, or not marry, a person of another race resides with the individual, and cannot be infringed by the State."

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I wonder how this statement squares up with affirmative action programs...

• Winner Winner x 2
  10. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

14th was written specifically to overturn Dred Scott by rendering all Black Americans as U.S. citizens.

That’s why conservatives hate it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Vol Horn 4 Life

Your argument does not support not overturning the 14th as a whole. Millions of white Europeans have immigrated in the last couple centuries and had lots of babies some legal and some not. Would stopping that be race based too or is it only specific people you are thinking about?

I think most of what you wrote has nothing to do with just overturning the 14th amendment as a general rule of thumb because it applies to all races. It would be if it was only amended to keep specific people from having babies who would be legal citizens.

I am not in the camp of messing with any of the amendments.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

You're an idiot.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Garmel, LH is example A of that article that Deez posted to the forum.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It overturned Dred Scott like a car plays music. It did that, but it did far more than that. It became a vehicle by which pretty much any state law can be brought within federal jurisdiction and get interfered with by the federal government or its courts. In other words, it pretty much confirmed everything bad that the South said and assumed about the North's intentions.

Conservatives mostly don't know what Dred Scott is. They don't even particularly dislike the 14th Amendment as it's written. What they hate is that it often isn't enforced as it's written. That's why one can read the 14th Amendment and know next to nothing about it. It "means" a hell of a lot that it doesn't actually say, and the interpretations of it are lopsidedly used against the conservative policy agenda even though they had nothing to do with the 14th Amendment's text nor its author's intentions.

15. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Hornfans Posting Guidelines:

Please be respectful of your fellow members, as well as the coaches and players. Personal attacks, name-calling and aggressive messages are not acceptable.

Thank you.

16. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

"excluding Indians not taxed." - That implies to me that persons who do not pay taxes to the government are not counted. Since illegals don't file income taxes, why do we count them? Doesn't make sense to me.

I don't think we will ever get another constitutional amendment passed. So I'll just shut up and accept that states like Mexifornia will have an undue influence on our government from here on.

17. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Your message seems too aggressive toward Garmel and disrespects his freedom of speech. respectfully Sir.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Musburger calls people idiots all the time and nothing is ever said. I don't normally use the word but with what Longesthorn said he deserved it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

On reflection it was a bit severe, I’ll admit
    Your commented was reported, that’s why I was aware of it. I don’t read all threads and posts so please hit the Report button and let me know if someone is going over the line.

FWIW... I’m just asking for civility. Mostly for selfish reasons as it makes my job easier. :idk:

• Like Like x 3
  20. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Instead of telling someone he or she is an idiot, try saying, "Don't be idiotic", or, "You are acting like an idiot right now". Much better. :e-face-shades:

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  21. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Perhaps i was harsh but I don't take anything back. I'll try your way though to keep from getting in trouble.

• Like Like x 1
  22. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I don't disagree with your assessment of that poster's posts, but to give credit, he or she did react to your comment with "Funny".

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Yeah, but he's probably the one that also reported me as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  24. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

That’s up to Dionysus to disclose, and he has my permission, but it’s his call. I don’t know who reported your post, but I suspect it was someone who agreed with my view of racist conservatives and disagreed with you acting like a little, well, you.

• Funny Funny x 1
  25. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

That's fine. People have a right to report me if they want. However, I'm 100% correct on my assessment.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  26. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

As you’re fond of repeating. But remind us again, please.

• Funny Funny x 1
  27. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

I'm 100% correct on my assessment. ;)

28. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

If it wasn’t you then it would have to be SH. You libs are so sensitive.

29. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Could be oldhorn65 as well.

30. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I have found after some reflection there is often a better way of calling someone an idiot without actually using the word.