The First 100 days

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by theiioftx, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I just had an email exchange with someone who started out saying Trump was evil and did not care about the common man. I could not reply right way so he blasted me that Republicans did not care about the common man either then he said since I had not answered I clearly couldn't defend my Chit party. 'Why do these people get so angry and insulting?
    I replied I worked and was busy but I would leave him with the facts of historic unemployment, the Urban Council he formed to bring business and jobs to inner city, number of good paying jobs being created by companies being jobs into our country, his Prison reform,
    Have not heard back Don't expect to.

• Like Like x 1
  2. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Must have been a paid Soros troll. No one is that stupid.

3. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

LOL
    It was irritating for sure. And the subject was supposed to be about a charity contribution. I guess that was one way to decline.

I had a soft conservative tagline in my email which I guess set him off

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Because emotion is all they have?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Trump is considering using pre-Communist Chinese debt against Beijing, as another tool in the renegotiation of trade deals. The Commies have never recognized those debts, but likewise the holders have never given up trying to collect on them

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

• Like Like x 1
  6. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

I’ve failed miserably as a parent. My daughter and I have never talked politics. I remember one time something came up about politics with a group and she said something to the effect that she doesn’t have time for politics. I understand that because I didn’t put much thought in to it either when I was in HS. But then I got the first clue that she might be Republican when her first semester as a freshman year at Texas State that she was complaining about a professor that was pushing a liberal agenda in his class. I remember having a desire to go confront him about trying to brain wash our kids but didn’t want to affect my daughters grade.

Our whole family are big animal lovers. So with Trump signing the Preventing Animal Cruelty and Torture (PACT) Act into law—which makes it a Federal crime to engage in animal cruelty I felt like sending that to my daughter knowing she would be pleased to hear about protecting animals. My daughter graduated last May at Texas State and I still didn’t know if she was Blue or Red. I assumed she was red. She responded with “Yeah that’s cool and all but you’re definitely preaching about trump to the wrong side”.

:brickwall::brickwall::brickwall::brickwall::brickwall::brickwall::brickwall: :facepalm:

The Professors got to her. :rolleyes1:
    Should I cut her out of my will? :lmao:
    No I love her no matter what and I’m guessing as she experiences life she will wise up like most of them do.

7. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I35
    You have my sympathies.
    But I am sure she will grow out of it.

• Like Like x 1
  8. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Does she have a job? You can annoy her with comments about the Trump economy.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

yes she got one instantly. :headbang:

10. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Thank Trump at Thanksgiving for full employment and putting turkey on the table.

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

I35, sounds like you should look for opportunities for conversations. Learn what she believes and why. In that you may find some common ground and some opportunities to expose some her professors' error. They changed her mind based on giving her information and conversation. Who better to give her a better understanding of the issues than you?

• Like Like x 2
  12. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Maybe she meant wrong side as in she is already on that side?

13. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

You didn't fail as a parent. You just weren't prepared for the propaganda that was going to get drilled into her, and you shouldn't have to be.

However, I Ihink you illustrate the problem. If we don't talk politics with our kids, they will basically accept whatever nonsense their teachers and professors drill into them. And why wouldn't they? As young and therefore relatively ignorant adults, what reason would they have to doubt their professors or assume they have an agenda? Somebody has to tell them that and prove or to them. It's hard, but we have to do it.

As for what to do now, I agree with Monahorns. Look for opportunities to talk politics with her. I wouldn't necessarily push for Trump discussions as much as I'd look for political and policy topics. Get her thinking the right way again on issues and values before you start talking about candidates. And if all else fails, invite her onto Hornfans. We can all set her straight. Lol

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

So what you and Monahorns are saying is I should keep her in my will? LOL.

My Daughter and I have a great relationship so if I do bring up anything I’ll tread very lightly. I will not bring up Trump at all. That seems to trigger people that already hate him. As good as our relationship is she is even closer to her mom (my ex-wife) and she is also Republican. So if anybody can help her see the light it would be my ex.

One thing we have going for her is she is very logical. That’s hard to find on the other side. So there’s hope she will figure it out.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

I have a 20 year old junior. She knows my political leanings and we discuss frequently. However, I refuse to tell her how to vote or what to think. She leans heavy to the climate crowd, but also understands taxes and jobs. She laughs at the Bernie crowd wanting free college and free everything.

She asked about Kasich as a candidate, so I would call her more independent. My brothers have children who are ultra liberal due to college. They have awkward discussions and even arguments with them. I think that is stupid. Most people are middle ground democrats until they start paying taxes.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

I35, if your daughter is logical she won't be a progressive long. They reject logic as rule.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

We might actually finally get a break on robocalls
    Ajit Pai is Chairman of the FCC

• Like Like x 1
  18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

3Q US GDP Growth Revised Upward
    GDP Increases in Third Quarter | U.S. Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA)

Core Capital Goods orders post biggest gain in 9 months ( “These so-called core capital goods orders were boosted by increased demand for machinery, computers and electronic products and fabricated metals")

Durable Goods +0.6% crushed consensus

Business Investment +1.2% really crushed consensus

New Home Sales estimates hit 733,000 in October 2019, a 31.6% increase from October, 2018

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  20. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

The news media is the enemy of the people.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Good to see GDP rise. I am a little cautious about that because GDP is affected by money supply growth. With the Fed rate reduction, money supply is on the increase, which could be the reason you see the GDP increase. If so that means the GDP isn't showing economic strength.

22. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

There is some underwritten rule to loosen money in an election year for the incumbent. I guess if the incumbent wins (or loses) despite (or due) to an opposition Fed chairman, there would be hell to pay by the winner. Even if the challenger wins, why would he keep the back-stabbing SOB for 4 years for a repeat performance?

23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

24. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
  26. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  27. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

We should all worry about the national debt, not that this provides an excuse for Longest's purely partisan hackery.

• Agree Agree x 4
  28. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

I agree. I was just pointing out how we heard nothing about it for 8 years and now they want to talk about it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  29. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

It was obvious when there were tax cuts but spending increases that the deficit would go up. Need to cut spending including military.

• Agree Agree x 3
  30. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Yes, they are moronic hypocrites. But why are we largely unconcerned with it now? Their hypocrisy isn't a reason for us to follow their path. We have a major entitlement crisis looming, and we rejected leaders who were concerned about it and chose one who isn't. That isn't a good sign.

And if we truly don't care anymore and are ready to accept a bipartisan agreement on having big entitlements, that's fine. European countries do "ok" (not great) with them, but they don't charge them on a credit card. They pay for them with big payroll taxes and big national VATs. I think that's bad policy, but I'll take it over just putting the bill on our kids with interest.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2019