The First 100 days

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by theiioftx, Nov 10, 2016.

1. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Thanks Bill. Relatively speaking, I think I am pretty good shape.:smile1:

2. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

I don't know. Too many ifs for me to comment.

I don't accept the premise at this point that no bailouts = China buying all US airlines. China's banking system is going to fall apart before ours is, unless we start bailing out corporations.

I don't know what happens with the Corona virus, but there is a healthy market for air travel in the US. Once the travel bans are over the demand will be there. If not, due to fear or Americans not traveling so much, then I don't want to prop up unprofitable business. Banks printing money to give to a airline just makes my $s buy less things. Screw that.

3. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

My bad, I thought that was authentic liberal gibberish being spoken.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

There will never be liberal gibberish from iatrogenic

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Yep. He is about as solid as it gets.

6. Hideo Gump Jr.

Hideo Gump Jr. Summer Soldier and Sunshine Patriot

We always have this, though.....

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Travel ban gonna be extended to UK and Ireland, effective midnight ET Monday

8. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

Do we have a travel ban on Illegals coming from Mexico?

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

What it looks like is the cases in Washington state (most of the deaths) were related to a time prior to Trump ending China flights. Several Dems spoke out about this ban at the time, calling it xenophobic and racist. But the China flight ban is probably what kept it from spreading. Now those same people are criticizing Trump for not doing enough early about this virus. And they are the same people who to this day will argue for Open Borders. It's the same people.

The fact that our media does not call them out for this behavior is very sad. We deserve better from them all.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

JF, canceling all entry into the US in January would have made a huge difference.

I still think all US citizens should be let back in, but with a test and possible quarantine. Borders matter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It's remarkable. The media is giving Trump **** over the travel restrictions, border crossings, etc. Similar and more onerous restrictions are being imposed in several European countries. Nobody is calling them racist. Nobody is saying they won't help. Nobody is saying they're unreasonable.

As usual, our media sucks. I saw a New York Times video yesterday lamenting the panic buying. I don't disagree with their point. I've been ridiculing the toilet paper hoarders. However, the media has no right to complain.

They've put out two big narratives. First, this virus is horrifically dangerous and uniquely so. Second, our government is failing the public to a degree never seen. It isn't that the virus isn't dangerous or that there's no room to criticize how the administration has handled things. However, they wildly overstate their case (for baldly partisan reasons). Well, if you basically tell people the apocalypse is here just because you think it'll hurt Trump, you shouldn't be surprised when people act like the apocalypse is here.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The Chinese came to White House to sign Phase One in mid January
    They knew about it by this time but didn't warn us
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Sorry libs (not really)

[​IMG]

14. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

There goes Trump, Cheating again, this time we have picture proof he is trying to copy off the Chinese guy.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

"we're going to be backstopping the airlines .... It's not their fault."

• Like Like x 1
  16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Genome sequencing is being used to isolate the virus "clusters"
    Trump banned China flights Jan 31 - two days earlier and who knows, maybe no one in Seattle dies from it?
    Open up the thread and have a look - interesting stuff

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Looked at another way, how many lives were saved by the China Travel Ban?
    Impossible to calculate?
    I would like to see our media ask this question to the travel ban haters like Schumer, Schiff, Pelosi and Biden. Will the ACLU sue again this time?

Jan 31— President Trump halted China travel
    Feb 1 — Joe Biden called it “hysterical xenophobia”
    Feb 2 — The ACLU said “travel bans and quarantines don’t work”
    Mar 10 — Bernie Sanders said he would keep borders open no matter what

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

19. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

I hate to tell ya, LongestHorn but going back and putting emoticons over things I said years back makes you look ridiculous, not me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

If a disease like this seems to have started in a particular place, a travel ban to and from that place is pretty basic common sense. Why the hell wouldn't you do that? The people who freaked out about it should be ridiculed and dismissed as idiots.

21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

You present a good issue -- what qualifies as 'common sense' among committed leftists? I do not know the answer, other than to say that they do not consider what you have stated here as common sense. So maybe the phrase 'common sense' simply has no application here?

Not all venn diagrams overlap
    [​IMG]

22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Since some posters seem to want to make executive preparedness an issue, maybe this is a good time to remind them that the President unveiled the first National Biodefense Strategy the US has ever adopted, back in Sept 2018.

Trump Has What He Needs To Defeat Coronavirus

• Funny Funny x 1
  23. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

It’s funnier if you know the Virgin vs Chad meme.

68E012AE-DE54-4E8A-BD57-BAC53696B8A6.png

24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Private equity is ready
    Unsanitized: Private Equity Licks Its Chops

For years, private equity firms have been collecting and sitting on investor cash—“dry powder,” as it’s known in the industry. By last summer, the industry had $2.5 trillion in dry powder waiting to be deployed, a record level. PE firms buy distressed companies, mostly with debt (although they have enough equity to goose deals right now), loading that debt on the company and extracting value out for their own benefit. There are two things we know coming out of this crisis: companies will be more distressed and cheaper than ever to buy, and debt will be cheaper than ever to finance. Deal prices have been high but are finally falling, a perfect opportunity for the industry.

The firms know this too. I’ve obtained a March 15 slide deck from Bain & Co., a major management consultancy firm, that served as a kind of informational guide about COVID-19 for PE executives and CEOs in their corporate portfolios. On page 4, it gives the game away: “During and post this crisis, PE firms will be presented with unique opportunities to invest—important to be ready to act.

Others have noticed the same impulse: a Goldman Sachs associate told Vox, “Corporate raiders and PE firms are sharpening their knives.” The bottom feeding may not happen right away, however. Private equity prefers buying with debt rather than equity, and the debt markets just aren’t complying at the moment, putting deals on ice. There have been almost no leveraged loan deals in the month of March. “While bargains will abound and publicly-traded companies can be picked up for a song, it’s not clear that credit markets on which PE now relies heavily will be in the mood to lend,” says Eileen Appelbaum, an expert on the industry.

25. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

What do libs hate worse than the coronavirus?

This is now the 4th national poll reflecting the same

• Like Like x 3
  26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Amazon hiring 100k
    Kroger hiring 200k
    Walmart hiring 150k

• Like Like x 2
  27. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Tax day officially moved back from April 15 to July 15

Can still file now if you are expecting a refund

• Like Like x 2
  28. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Amazon, Walmart, Kroger, and HEB all showing how swiftly the private sector adapts to new market needs. You would be amazed at how many other businesses are changing course rapidly to provide services needed due to corona quarantines.

29. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

How many people are the toilet paper companies hiring?

30. Monahorns

Monahorns 10,000+ Posts

Don't know but no forest will be safe because of all these hoarders.