The First 100 days

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by theiioftx, Nov 10, 2016.

1. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Did you see it? It really was funny, not because he took a sip of water but the whole episode. He looked from side to side, glancing at whomever was holding the water off screen multiple times before rapidly grabbing the glass and drinking. Don't get me wrong I like Rubio, this was just an embarrassing (and amusing) episode.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I did see it. Yes, it was awkward, and he clearly had dry mouth. What I think is sad is that it dominated the discussion. Nobody cared what he said after because he drank a sip of water, and I think that's shallow.

Doesn't your daughter practice law? What if she had to take a sip of water during her jury argument? Do you think it would be fair if everybody laughed at her and ignored everything she said from that point on? Hell, what if she had Mexican food for lunch that day and accidentally let out an audible fart during her jury argument? I could understand a brief chuckle, and I'm sure she'd be embarrassed. However, 5 seconds later, people should basically put the issue aside, listen to her argument, and take her seriously again.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

I'm not sure anyone heard what he said, distracted by the awkwardness with which he grabbed the water. I like Rubio but the awkwardness was so over the top it was as if he was acting in an SNL skit. It wasn't the fact that he took a drink of water but how he ended up getting the water that was pretty funny.

4. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

True SH.
    And I would hope my daughter would take a drink in the same manner as Trump did during his speech last night. Now had he dropped the glass, or spilled it all over himself, it would be a topic of discussion I assure you but even then the type discussion would depend on how he handled it. Just as if my daughter farted - I admit I'm smiling as I type because she would die of embarrassment I assure you. Bless her heart.

5. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I think you guys are missing my point. It was awkward, but it wasn't so outrageous that his entire point should get lost. Ditto with your daughter. If I was on her jury, and she let out an awkward fart, I'd chuckle for two seconds and think to myself, "she must have had frijoles for lunch," and then I would turned back into an adult and listened to her argument.

Now if she had pulled her leg and ripped some big loud thing intentionally, then I might have been a bit harsher.

6. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

I farted twice while reading this.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

poor CNN

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  9. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Gotta be proud of that.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

The WAPO called it surprising
    Was it? I say not
    Only to certain kinds of people I guess

• Like Like x 1
  12. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

I agree with you. I started flpping back and forth between the speech and the UT baseball game, cuz I already heard all of this. Maybe some of the libs are hearing his actual words for the first time, before this they only heard what others among them said what they believed he meant, and they only heard it from somebody else who heard it on the subway?

• Like Like x 3
  13. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Trump keeps hitting the same cords over and over; American first, make America safe, make the military strong again, crush terrorism, dump Obamacare, etc. etc. He has a vision and, hopefully a plan. I didn't get that impression from Obama, Bush 43, Clinton, or Bush 41. He seems like a strong, confident leader. I like that. Some people are scared by it.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I'm watching the speech tonight. Two things to start. First, Democrats who aren't applauding his entrance and good news (like the job creation remarks) look petty, small, and unstatesmanlike. How the hell do you sit on your hands at a comment on lobbying bans? Ditto for the meeting with Trudeau. Even if you disagree with them, looking like a pissed off stiff is horrible optics. Those are must-clap lines. Second, Melania looks absolutely stunning, and it's more than raw hotness, though she hags plenty of that. She is just oozing with class and dignity.

His immigration and border security comments were outstanding. He made a powerful and uncontroversial case for border security and reform, and those who sat down look like fools. You can sit down when he calls for building the wall. That's polarizing. You can't sit down when he talks about border security in general.

He sounded good on infrastructure, and it's about the first comment he made that actually got a significant number of Democrats to stand up for.

The Obamacare repeal and replacement comments are a tougher case, not because Obamacare is particularly defensible but because the replacement part is sketchy. Nevertheless, he handled that conundrum as well as it could have been handled.

Making the voucher case and specifically mentioning millions black and Latino students - very smart. It forced Democrats to sit on their hands and roll their eyes while he talked about doing something big for the constituencies they pretend to care about the most. Probably the first time he really humiliated them.

The creation of the Victims of Immigration Crime Engagement was pretty bold, and he played the Democrats like a Stradivarius. Democrats audibly groaned when he announced it, but instead of responding or making a face, he used a soft and empathetic voice to commend specific crime victims in the gallery. The groaning, whiny Democrats just looked like insensitive pricks. That might have been one of the most brilliantly played moves I've ever seen in one of these speeches. I literally laughed out loud.

The pitch to veterans was also compelling, and even the Democrats had to stand and applaud.

His recognition of the slain war hero and his widow was nothing short of powerful. He seemed sincere and heartfelt. Furthermore, the widow looked noticeably moved and touched. I also saw several Democrats sitting during the first ovation and some not clapping. That was astounding and again, just terrible optics. I heard Van Jones comment on this, and even he had to admit that Trump truly became the President with that portion of the speech. He's right.

And how the hell do you sit on your hands when he says he represents the United States? Again, that's a must-clap line. Just looks terrible.

I also noticed that large numbers of Democrats bolted the room as fast as they could and didn't applaud at the end. Again, they just looked petty and small.

I'm still very much of a Trump skeptic, though I try to be a fair one. I didn't vote for and don't regret that vote. However, that might have been the best address I've seen before Congress in years, and it certainly was the poorest handled by the opposition I have ever seen. The Joe Wilson thing several years ago? Not even close. Trump was very unifying, very positive, and very patriotic, but he also seemed sincere. He didn't come across as phony. Furthermore, he didn't ramble. He was focused. In the face of his performance, the Democrats just looked childish, bitter, and immature. Just by being a nice guy, he truly kicked the living hell out of them. They should be totally embarrassed and totally ashamed today.

• Like Like x 6
  15. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Going to be a long 8 years for the Dems.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

17. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Excellent review.

18. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Snoopes said Debbie W-S and Keith Ellison stood for Mrs. Owens
    Snoopes is wrong. Again
    Here they are sitting, along with Sheila Jackson Lee, Steny Hoyer and Pelosi

It's a small point I guess, but time to stop treating Snoopes as if they are impartial, balanced and honest. Where does Snoopes' funding come from? Why do they refuse to answer questions on the source of their funding? Is their any other reasonable explanation than Soros?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. Seattle Husker

When was that picture taken because Snopes claims that this picture taken that actually includes a time stamp shows the latter 2 standing and clapping. So, is the issue that they didn't stand for 2+ minutes clapping? Remember, the claim wasn't "they didn't clap for 2+ minutes" but rather they "didn't cheer" period. I think the point is pretty obvious who here is not being "impartial, balance and honest" and it may not be Snopes.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  20. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Mr D
    I especially looked forward to your views since I know you wasted your vote:smokin:.
    But I also knew you would actually watch it with some objectivity, especially if you could consume some German beers. Do you think there will be any longer going term positive effects just from the positivity of the speech?

The media is giving cover to the pic of those Dems racing our of the room even before President Trump made it off the dais. You can be sure if Pubs had raced out of there during boys speeches MSM would have bashed them for days.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

LOL. Since I'm a Texas voter, my vote didn't count anyway. To be honest, by not voting for either candidate, I think it bought me a degree of credibility when I say positive things, which you somewhat acknowledge. lol Just out of curiosity, did you think I would be a kneejerk Trump-hater who would never acknowledge it if he did something right? It's true that many Trump critics are like that, but that would be totally out of character for me, and I told you that I wouldn't be.

I think that depends on how he and Congress handle things from this point. If they both shift their focus to actual policymaking, I think that would be a long term positive effect that comes from the positivity of the speech. Furthermore, it's a good time to act. Democrats must be on the defensive after his performance and after their juvenile behavior. They know they looked stupid. I'm sure that it played well with hipsters in Portland or freedom pouch-wearers in San Francisco, but I'll be it didn't play so well with people Macomb County, Michigan.

I don't watch cable news, so I'm not seeing how they're handling it, but I'm sure they're downplaying it as much as they can. Of course, they weren't so light on Joe Wilson. He got absolutely scorched. They ripped his disrespect, called him a racist, etc. By the way, I thought Wilson's remark was dumb. Even if Obama's comment was incorrect, it wasn't the time or the place to call him out.

To me, the Democrats' conduct was worse. First, Joe Wilson was one guy. This was almost the entire Democratic caucus.

Second, even Wilson only committed one act of disrespect. They were disrespectful most of the night.

Third, Wilson took issue on something related to policy. Democrats showed personal contempt for Trump - refusing to stand even on "must-clap" remarks, bolting for the door before he leaves the room, etc. It was the worst showing of disrespect I've ever seen for a President by a large group of lawmakers.

I don't expect Democrats to clap like Republicans. The opposition party always disagrees with the President and isn't going to celebrate everything he says like the President's party will. However, when he calls for unity, says things that pretty much everybody likes or should like, or otherwise throws you a bone, you're supposed to respond with dignity, not juvenile contempt. If you do respond with juvenile contempt, it reflects badly on you, not the President.

• Like Like x 3
  22. Seattle Husker

Advantage Schumer?

If you're curious what Schumer was doing hanging with Putin this is from an NBCNews.com article:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  23. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

In the words of Jim Schoenfeld:

"You fell, you fat pig! Have another doughnut! Have another doughnut!"

24. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

An under oath discussion while eating donuts and coffee?

25. Seattle Husker

Maybe donuts and coffee might tone down the rhetoric a bit?

• Like Like x 2
  26. Seattle Husker

For those interested, Trump will spend his 4th weekend (of 6 total) in Mar-a-lago this weekend.

This Donald Trump tweet might be appropriate. Oh...his weekend vacations will have cost taxpayers ~$14M so far...in 1.5 months in office.

27. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

If Trump keeps this up for four years, he will only fall $52million short of what Obama pissed away on Solyndra alone.

28. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

I hope you all have a great weekend "vacation"!

29. Seattle Husker

Oh, are you flying somewhere for the weekend?

Vacation.PNG

Last edited: Mar 3, 2017
  30. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1