The First 100 days

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by theiioftx, Nov 10, 2016.

1. UTChE96

UTChE96 2,500+ Posts

To be fair, he is really bad at golf so one of his rounds takes ~10 times as long as other Presidents.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Trump was willing to say whatever he had to say, and his supporters wanted a no-compromise attitude, and he delivered that more than anybody else. Some wanted a broader border security plan of action than a wall. Some fell short of calling for deporting all illegal immigrants. Trump was unyielding on both, and that enabled him to vanquish the opposition. After the nomination was secured, he wavered on the deportations. Nobody cared. Some of his surrogates have wavered on building a complete wall. Nobody cares. Why? Because it was never really about the wall or the deportations. It was about the attitude and the truculence, and Trump will never lose that.

I think identity politics are wrong and bad for the country, but I don't think they're a loser issue for Democrats. Without identity politics, black and Hispanic voters would probably blend into the electorate without a particularly strong preference for either party over the other. If that were the case, then that blue wall would be a hell of a lot smaller. It would basically include New England (excluding New Hampshire), Hawaii, D.C., and maybe the Pacific Northwest. It wouldn't include New York, New Jersey, California, or Illinois, which would become swing states.

If Obama hadn't pushed identity politics, I don't think it would have helped him. Most white people weren't going to go for a left-wing agenda. He needed to motivate minorities to keep his appeal, and that's what he did. That kept him in office.

I think his biggest political mistake was that he bought into his own horse crap. I think he and the Democratic leadership in Congress really believed that the 2008 election signaled a permanent Democratic majority that had no chance of being undone any time soon. I think that led to complacency, and that's why they were willing to blow his first two years on Obamacare, bailouts, and stimulus money. I think that if they could do it all over again, they'd probably delay Obamacare, focus on growth, and pass the most liberal immigration bill possible. They could have turned 12 million illegal aliens into eligible voters overnight. If they had done that, they'd probably still control Congress (albeit narrowly), and we'd almost surely be talking about Hillary Clinton being the President-elect.

3. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

4. I35

I35 5,000+ Posts

Huh? Are you doing Aggy math? By my calculations he will be in office for only 96 months.

5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

While Obama was playing out of a trap, somewhere, .....

6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Supposed to be Tijuana, but hard to say for certain. Signage does appear to be in Spanish (but maybe its a part of Spain in North Africa?). Also, the street scene looks like Mexico to me. Someone recognize this as somewhere else not Mexico?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  9. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

It seemed like 400 months to me too.

• Like Like x 2
  10. NJlonghorn

NJlonghorn 2,500+ Posts

Oops, weeks. Lol.

11. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

It only took a "inducements" to make it happen. Solyndra anyone?

12. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

SH
    Seriously are you trying to compare the Carrier deal with the Solyndra deal?
    :rolleyes1:

13. Seattle Husker

It's a closer analogy than whomever tried to throw up the Olympics example. In both situations they appear to be giveaways to corporations with a political goal in mind.

14. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Political goal of keeping jobs for the employees? But yes, that certainly gains political favor.

15. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

It would be foolish to hope that your policies that you believe will employ people would then cause them to vote for someone else.

16. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

SH
    Considering BO fast racked giving over 550 million of tax payer money to Solyndra while bypassing the normal vetting process compared to inducements offered to Carrier to keep the plant open I'd say there is nothing analogous
    Including that Carrier will not stiff us.

17. Seattle Husker

Via corporate welfare? Where has the libertarian strain of the Republican party gone?

• Like Like x 1
  18. BrntOrngStmpeDe

BrntOrngStmpeDe 1,000+ Posts

I really hope he expends the little political capital he has on priority items that are really impacting the long term character of our country. I truly believe that unchecked/illegal immigration is the number one issue to be dealt with in a deep and lasting manner. We need to actually change laws not just spend more money on walls and increasing the number of deportations and border agents.

Putting a halt to waves of immigration will not only stop the cultural dissolution of American values and traditions, but it will also be a economic boost to the lower and middle class paycheck.

19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

20. Seattle Husker

$700k is actually a bargain. What else was promised? A lower overall tax rate? Carrier's parent company (United Technologies) is a also a significant defense contractor.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2016
  21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Trump's Commerce pick -- "The president-elect is not a bluffer"

"President-elect Donald Trump's pick for Commerce Secretary said Wednesday night that the renegotiation of the North American Free Trade Agreement is one of the first -- if not the first -- things he will tackle on Day One of the job....."

http://money.cnn.com/2016/11/30/news/wilbur-ross-nafta/index.html

22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

“There is no global anthem. No global currency. No certificate of global citizenship. We pledge allegiance to one flag and that flag is the American flag.
    “From now on it is going to be: America First… Never anyone again will any other interests come before the interest of the American people. It is not going to happen again.”

24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

25. Seattle Husker

Draining the swamp.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

27. Seattle Husker

That's something I can get behind.

28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Trump's two biggest scandals post-election --
    (1) Had dinner with family (OMG!)
    (2) Took call from democratically elected world leader (OMG!)

• Like Like x 2
  29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Trump ripped Boeing for for their retarded price on a new Air Force 1 (talk about cronyism - wonder what kind of campaign contributions Obama/Dems got for that?)

In any event, the usual characters immediately responded in their predictable fashion

[​IMG]

30. Seattle Husker

Boeing claims the only contract they have is for $170M to scope the new plans and that to date the Air Force hasn't aligned on all the specs. Could it be that the specs the Air Force is asking for are driving the costs up? Someone needs to ask what the capabilities were that driving the increase in costs. Any project sponsor should question cost estimates and be prepared to pull the plug if things get out of wack.

This sounds like predictable scope creep by the customer (Air Force). The Air Force has $2.9B budgeted for the new planes (2-3) and has spent $93M on scoping to date under the original contract with Boeing.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016