The First 100 days

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by theiioftx, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

No, it was a Clinton-Foundation-type scheme

2. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

3. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Evidence?

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

waiting for ....
    [​IMG]

5. Seattle Husker

Uh...Masa (Softbank) has been investing in US business for a decade or more when he failed to purchase T-Mobile then later bought Sprint for $22B in 2013. Masayoshi Son previously was rumored to have a desire to build a large tech presence in Silicon Valley. Son hates Kansas City (Sprint's HQ) per a buddy that was a former IT VP for Sprint and had never traveled there as of 2015.

With Softbank's acquisition of UK based ARM ($33B) Son now has a large present in tech hotbeds like Silicon Valley, Austin and Boston. It's not inconceivable that Son had plans to expand those offices to get more access to the talent in those local markets. Is that a direct response to Trump? Who knows but Son never comments publicly thus we'll only get Trump's side.

We do know that Son has made or attempted to make billion(s) dollar investments in the US long before Trump took office.

6. texas_ex2000

texas_ex2000 2,500+ Posts

7. Seattle Husker

When you post sh!t be prepared to stand behind and justify it.

8. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

9. Seattle Husker

From the second link...
    I'd love to see that analysis. $3B...$4B is a lot of money.

10. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

and there it is
    [​IMG]

11. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

12. texas_ex2000

All of these articles cite $3B and growing. Trump is greasing the rails for a better price once an order is made.

I frankly don't think $4B is outrageous for the Air Force ONE system. It's not just a next gen 747. These things have the most state of the art communication systems, EMP protections, defensive countermeasures, etc. They're all unique to the AF1 system, meaning that the fixed R&D costs aren't averaged out across hundreds or thousands of units. But, duh, it certainly would be great it we could save taxpayers money there.

Trump buys airplanes and buildings for a living. One thing I learned working for these guys is that you never want your contractors to take you for granted. Maybe the Pentagon can learn something here on how to do it a different way to save us money.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  13. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

14. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  16. Seattle Husker

Which monkey represents you in the picture?

17. texas_ex2000

Here is what we know. Softbank's capital could have been invested in a whole bunch of different countries, but it will be deployed in the US. Silicon Valley as a whole has rejected Trump, but per this announcement and his appearance with the President-Elect, Son Madayoshi is bullish on what Trump means to the US economy. And as you have said, he never announced a thing like this over the past 8 years.

Seattle, you're starting to lose grip here. You'll never be satisfied and that affects the merit and creditability of your arguments.

18. Seattle Husker

Was the announcement from Son or Trump? The former rarely speaks.

I'm saying that Son has invested (or tried) Softbanks capital in the US for at least the last 5 years. The 80% stake in Sprint is an example. The inference that suddenly Son is now ready to invest because of Trump isn't backed up by the evidence to date (Sprint, T-Mobile).

Time will tell whether he invests as much during a Trump administration as he did during an Obama admin. It's worth noting that Son has had many run-ins with the FTC during Obama's tenure. The FTC and FCC felt it was in the consumers best interest to have 4 wireless carriers while Son had dreams of combining the Sprint and T-Mobile. Son has previously claimed that the only way Sprint and T-Mobile survive against Verizon/AT&T is with a combined entity.

Good news for me personally, T-Mobile's stock price is up nearly 2.5% today based on Son's meeting with Trump. Go figure.

19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

20. texas_ex2000

It was announced in the lobby of Trump Tower by both of them right after his tweet:

Except for the fact that Son announced exactly that with Trump about an hour ago.

Maybe you are coming around! hehe.

By the way, on Air Force ONE, I don't know if they're exactly the same, but after a lot of expensive studies and RFPs, Obama cancelled the next gen Lockheed Marine ONE when he took office because it too was too expensive. In 2014, the Navy ordered 21 helicopters form Sikorsky for the Marine ONE program for $1.24B. Hell, at one point or another, every member of congress save for the ones rep'ing the Boeing's factory districts, probably called for the cancellation of the F-35. Defense contracting is a bipartisan cluster caused by Republicans/Democrats and contractors. This isn't really controversial.

21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Buzzfeed headline --

"Trump may be creating 50k new jobs for Americans, but lets not forget the one time he joked about grabbing p___y"

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  22. texas_ex2000

Why would quant traders spend the money and time to develop algorithms on this? It's because they and the market believe when Trump's says something (especially business related), he'll do it.

23. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

24. Seattle Husker

Sorry, all the articles I can find say "Trump said". I can't find any direct quotes from Son. That's pretty normal from him though, I believe he doesn't speak english.

What's good for me will not be good for employment at Sprint/T-Mobile. Fortunately, I no longer work for the latter.

I'd agree. The intermingling of politics and defense spending is a cluster.

25. Seattle Husker

Or it means that they believe that his tweets can move the market significantly. It doesn't matter whether he actually does it because they aren't buy/hold but rather move the money around within minutes, hours and days from one stock and into another.

Just a thought on Son and the T-Mobile deal. Deutsche Telekom is 75% shareholder (or was...may have decreased a bit) but they would be the main profit taker of a T-Mobile purchase.

26. texas_ex2000

I mentioned this in my earlier post, but I'll go into this a little further. $4B for the Air Force ONE system relatively isn't really that outrageous. I think Trump, and Obama with Marine ONE, is just taking a bigger interest in it because it effectively becomes his personal company plane.

There are many more defense and intelligence systems/programs that are far less important than AF1 with far shorter useful lives that cost about as much or even more than Air Force ONE. These two or three planes will probably last 20 - 30 years. Sure there will be upgrades, and that will add costs, but that amortizes to around $200 million a year for one of the most critical Command Control Communication systems in the National Command Authority.

Just eyeballing it, $1.2B for the new Marine ONE system is pretty expensive compared to ~$4B for Air Force ONE given the more important role of AF1 during a National Security Emergency.

27. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Been referenced already I know but truer words have never been uttered, oops I mean written on this forum.

28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Imagine ....
    if you will .....
    how the monkeys would react if the stoopid Norvegans awarded Trump the Nobel Peace prize, like they did Obama
    Oh
    My
    God
    They would explode in spontaneous combustion, on the spot

Do you remember that?
    Obama got one for ...... what exactly?
    He had accomplished relatively little in life to that point.
    It seemed like they did it off his campaign promises at the time. He was going to lower the oceans levels and cut the debt in half (lol). Some posters here call those "lies" but , of course, they are not. Nonetheless, by that standard, by the Obama-Nobel-Standard, Trump should probably get two. He has already done more than Obama and he has not even taken office yet. And he has not killed anyone yet vs. Obama who has killed many, including some innocents in Iraq just today. It is a "Peace" prize after all.

29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

So MSNBC is now busy defending Boeing
    A major defense contractor
    Over their large markups and cost overruns on AF-1
    Why?
    Because Trump
    Boohoo

30. Seattle Husker

Do we know there are "large markups and cost overruns"? I don't think we have enough information either way.