The Halfback Option Pass

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by El Torito, Oct 26, 2016.

1. El Torito

El Torito 1,000+ Posts

First, let me say I appreciate Sterlin Gilbert's work with the offense. With our O-Line and RBs, we have a solid run game. D'Onta has run for over a 100 yards in each game he's played (he was out for UTEP) and is on pace to post a 1,000 yard season. In the 18-wheeler package, Tyrone Swoops has rushed for 135 yards and 6 TDs this season. Before his injury, Chris Warren was eating up yards.

In the passing game, I see a real gem in Buechele. He has thrown for 15 TDs on 5 INTs for a passer rating at 150. He will break 2,000 yards passing for the season. Devin Duvernay, Dorian Leonard, and Jerrod have all generated more than 200 yards receiving for the year and have 3 TDs each. As a group, our receivers need to do a much more consistent job of catching the ball, but we have short to deep strike capability in any part of the field.

In the times of yore, it was called The Halfback Option Pass (or Play) but it includes wide receivers (or any receiver behind the line of scrimmage). I'd like to see Gilbert incorporate more passing options in our offense such as the Halfback Option. When Jerrod Heard is on the field with either Buechele or Swoopes, we essentially have two quarterbacks at the snap. Disguised as a wide receiver screen or out route behind the line of scrimmage, a pass to Heard becomes an immediate run/pass threat. If the defense plays a Heard run, he has short, intermediate, and deep options to our WRs or Bluiett as TE. If the defense plays the pass, Heard is a bona fide run threat.

Speaking of run/pass threat, the same is true of Swoops out of the 18-Wheeler package on every snap, especially inside the 10 yard line. While officials have tightened review of the "pop pass" blocking schemes, it is still a viable play call. In the 2015 Texas-BlowU game, Swoopes threw a TD pass to Bluiett that caught the Sooners unprepared.

I'd like to see a little "trickeration" pulled from the playbook to keep defenses on their heels and our offense rolling. :hookem:

2. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Harsin definitely would have found a way to use Heard by now.

3. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I'd welcome anything that can get a spark this group.

4. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

Yep, Shipley was our most accurate passer under Harsin/White. Can't believe we've never run a reverse to Heard much less a pass with him.