The Heisman and AM

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Hookem123, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Hookem123

Hookem123 1,000+ Posts

Could history be about to repeat it'self?

The Heisman is normally given to a player on one of the team in the hunt for a national championship. Not the case with A&M.

All Johnny has done is lead his team to a 5th place finish in the SEC, with two losses so far.

Much like Johnny, 55 years ago John David Crow led his A&M squad to 2 loss regular season and then when on to lose the bowl game as well. No championship.

Could history repeat again with A&M losing their bowl game? If they do, what else could be in store for the aggies? Well after the 57 Crow Heisman season, the Aggie only had ONE winning season for the next 16 years. Winning only 53 games during that span for an average of 3.31 wins per year.

Could it be undeserved trophies don't come without paying a heavy price?

2. Trusted Insider

Trusted Insider 1,000+ Posts

He deserved it. A good argument could be made for Teo or Klein and I think Klein was the most deserving but really it doesn't matter. RG3 won and his team wasn't great.
    If A&M wins they had a fine season. They will be .500 against the good teams they played and will finish in the top 10 and likely hang something on their stadium to commemorate it. If they lose, they'll be top 15 or so, going 1-3 against the good teams on their schedule. As much as that sounds pedestrian to fans of better programs, in either case it's the best season they've ever had.

3. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

getting the heisman didnt seem to hurt texas in 1998.

4. -Texas-

-Texas- 250+ Posts

5. dthree36

dthree36 500+ Posts

Recruiting will definitely pick up for the Ags. The lure of the SEC will be bigger than ever because there was success this year. Despite who was up or down in the SEC, the Aggies got the victories they were so use to letting slip away. 10-2 versus a possible 7-5 is going to do wonders for your program. The Heisman... well that will take care of itself. The media attention will be on every game Manziel plays going forward.

They seem to have a good coach but with the Oline being rebuilt in the coming years, who knows. I doubt they will have a terrible season next year with their recruits coming in but we have witnessed what inexperience can result in. We have seen positives and negatives in performance from our youthful players.

Watch out for the Sophomore slump. The hype can on often does kill potential. Just look what its doing to us.

6. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I expect some sort of sophomore slump just because regression towards the mean is a common phenomenon.

7. Hookem123

Hookem123 1,000+ Posts

8. PropositionJoe

understand that.

but the notion of the heisman as being "bad luck" seems a bit silly, dont you think?

9. jmtamu

jmtamu 250+ Posts

It's some pretty big wishful thinking to hope that A&M's history will repeat itself from the JDC era. That was before women were even admitted to A&M.

Times have changed.

10. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

11. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

He deserved it. Aggy is about to have a nice little run these next few seasons but so long as they have a defense that give sup 57 points to the La Tech's of the world they wont be better than 4th or 5th in the SEC.

12. Loma Vista

Loma Vista 100+ Posts

You guys are becoming more and more aggy every day.

Yeah, the drop off after JDC was because of the Heisman. Nothing else happened to A&M like losing the best college football coach of all time that year.

13. Mr. Fiesta

Mr. Fiesta 1,000+ Posts

I don't remember DKR ever being at aggy. [​IMG]

14. Trusted Insider

i'm good with Manziel getting it. fantastic year. i don't believe there's any jinx or anything just that i expect that by introducing offense to the sec everyone will need to adjust. then you fire sumlin or he leaves. seen this before (well, not the heisman).

15. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

He can still win 3 more of them before he has to leave.

And I think it would be a lot cooler if he did.

16. bishophorn

bishophorn 500+ Posts

You can rest knowing that Mike Stoops's defense will make mincemeat out of the aggy flash in the pan. Those coaches tend to prepare well for teams unlike some other set of coaches near and dear to us.

17. FireRC

FireRC 500+ Posts

OU rush defense is pretty bad and they got their *** kicked by WVU, even though the won.

That being said, we were a completely different University then.

18. Dogbert

Dogbert 500+ Posts

OU will lose to the Aggies. They peak at the Texas game and then fall off because the intensity of the coaches gets old. By the end of the season they can't get it up anymore.

19. Larry T. Spider

Larry T. Spider 1,000+ Posts

20. Mr. Fiesta

Mr. Fiesta 1,000+ Posts

21. Hu_Fan

Hu_Fan Guest

I'm more concerned about the lords of karma and what they are doing to all of us.

We're not out of the woods on realignment, and now this. I might as well get off the Internet for good if I'm to have a life from now to next September. Off-season? What off-season.

Erin Hogan today (104.9) ran this by the listeners....
    Texas is where A&M was with RC about 14 years ago.
    At that time, A&M saw Bob Stoops show up at OU, followed by Mack Brown at Texas.
    Stoops got a title and a Heisman early on.
    Took Mack a while, and he ran off a string of 9 and 10 win strings.
    All that time... A&M idled along going from RC to Fran to Sherm... now to Sumlin and Manziel.

Now A&M is turning the momentum in their favor while the "RC" of things sits over here with 14 years run-time. New coach. New era. And a Heisman right out of the gate.

So there's that angle on it.

And other things well start to seep in....

Know how many total commits A&M has right now?.... 34

They took a lot of early commits before getting to Dec. 8th.
    Now what are they going to do?

What A&M faces above all is the old nemesis of living with success.
    In the old days, no bright media lights of the kind we have today.
    ESPN
    Blogs
    YouTube
    Twittter
    Facebook
    The SEC-CBS / ESPN hype machine.
    Whatever is hot... sells.
    A&M will be marketed heavily.
    Every home game.
    Every road game.
    Look for GameDay to show up in College Station maybe twice.

No, make that just once. Sept. 14, hosting Alabama.

I just looked at A&M's 2013 schedule.
    They do not play Florida or Georgia or So. Carolina.
    Looks like one of the softest schedules in the country.
    At LSU, and hosting Alabama, and that's it.

Wow,... did someone say the SEC was playing with the big boys?
    When... couple Saturdays a year?

A&M has EIGHT home games. FOUR of them with teams that are not even in elite conferences. And one tough one, with Alabama.
    ... Rice, Sam Houston, SMU, UTEP... are you kidding me?

Damn! They should win 10 games by 25 points each. At least.
    They may average 50 a game for all but the Alabama and LSU games.

Alabama and LSU the only challenges. It's going to be a video game at Kyle Field most of the time.

22. jmtamu

jmtamu 250+ Posts

23. Pericles

Pericles 1,000+ Posts

24. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

It is wishful thinking that Aggy history will reapeat itself from
    another era. We all know that 1939 phenomenon has not
    ever repeated itself and that was before women were admitted. Some things never change.

25. Trusted Insider

Hu,
    I agree with your post. I fully expect Aggy to be preseason #1 next year.
    You point out what is the case with every SEC team or so it seems. In the last couple years I think Alabama only played 3 winning teams each year. Then they get to play one of them - one who couldn't score on a junior high B team - twice after losing to them at home.
    A&M only played 3 good teams this year and went 1-2. They had a good season, not great regardless of what happens in the Cotton. I get that they are teenage girls at the Beatles Ed Sullivan show over being associated with Alabama and Florida (I really do hope they start putting SEC on their diploma's) but it really just hype. If they had more than 1 rational fan they'd just say that they play in the best conference and I while I think there is an argument against that it isn't much of a stretch. Instead you've got idiots coming out of the wood work thinking they're an extension of the NFL. And of course it's just not very manly to drool over other teams.

26. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

27. Hookem123

Hookem123 1,000+ Posts

28. PropositionJoe

you seem angry.

cheer up. christmas is coming soon.

29. Hookem123

Hookem123 1,000+ Posts