The Irate 8 - What do hope for them?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LonghornCatholic, Jul 28, 2021.

1. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

Actually, this is all driven by streaming and apps. If the goal is to bill for individual games then the goal is to produce as many great and meaningful games as possible. So for example, under the current system many games are uninteresting or meaningless. Add to that the committee approach to the playoffs (which has ignored losses and wins during the season with a healthy dose of ND gets a hard pass) and you end up with a desire to create an NFL type system, with geographic rivalries and no committee.

The NIL will also play a part, and the NCAA is the one organization without the skills to monitor or regulate. 24 to 30 team conference of teams capable or willing to invest and participate is inevitable. Two to four more teams to the SEC and it is over quickly. BIG Ten Network can compete somewhat because many people up north watch sports other than football on the network but a theft from the ACC or Pac does not solve their content problem. It only adds more mouths and less backs. 4 teams from the PAC, ND , two Big Ten teams and Clemson and FSU are still on the table. They all must join together or risk being irrelevant.

FWIW, I suspect other sports will essentially remain in geographic conferences practically speaking.

2. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. LonghornDave

Don't look behind the green curtain.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Wow! That's so incredibly beautiful and exciting they're going to be turning away a whole lot of 5* players.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

This post certainly belongs On the Field, the wheat field perhaps.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Hey, where’s the tornado in the background?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Here it is....

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  8. LonghornDave

It really is too bad Kansas players and fans don't wear red slippers to games...

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. BLucky

BLucky 250+ Posts

That would have to apply to KSU as well. Wamego Kansas, 22 miles east of Manhattan, is home to the Oz Museum...one of three in the world. When you go to Manhattan for a game you run out of things to do pretty quickly.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Godz, this is epic.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Here’s what I hope for them:

Texas Tech, TCU, OSU: a step up to the PAC and success there.

ISU: B1G and victories over the Hawkeyes and huge recurring victories over Nebraska and PennState.

KU: B1G and occasional upsets over Nebraska, along with plenty of conference basketball titles.

WV: ACC with lots of wins over Miami and FSU.

KSU: MWC and plenty of wins over BYU, but an annual butt kickin at the hands of Wyoming.

Baylor: After no offers from other conferences, they beg to be invited to SFA and SHSU’s conference, where they always finish in the bottom 2. Oh yeah, and their new conference requires them to sell beer at games.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. LonghornCatholic

IDK, the way Tech fans acted after we snatched Beard away from them, and how they generally talk smack about Texas.......won't bother one bit if they become UofH or SMU type school......or worse.

On a side note.....a couple of months ago, my son and I went for a breakfast taco (cause thats what Texans do) and a gentleman in his mid to late 40s was standing in line in front of us sporting a Tech shirt. I whispered to my son....looks like 9 year olds are designing Tech's shirts now. It read something like.....Tech, social distancing from Texas, or something goofy like that. It had an image of a Tech helmet and then an open highway to a Longhorns helmet.

One of the first things I thought about during that epic move to SEC week was that man in his tech shirt. I guess we gave him the social distancing he wanted.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

I’ve got it!

The remaining Big 12 captures NYC—the largest media market by far—by adding Fordham.

:lmao:
    :rolleyes1::rolleyes1::rolleyes1:

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

They can also add Columbia - great academics, in the heart of NYC, and adds an Ivy League flair. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. LonghornCatholic

Looks like the Irate 8 finally stopped crying long enough to realize they better start making moves…….

16. LonghornCatholic

17. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I have kicked, screamed, and cussed about the happenings in McLennan County since the late 80s. I've watched the assault by the conservatives. I've watched the "old basketball network" destroy the school and athletics. I warned them that they had the worst drug problem of any P5 school. I suggested that they mail thank you notes to Nebraska for keeping Baylor from having the worst steroid problem in D-1.

If, indeed, Baylor lets BYU into whatever it's called, I am embarking on a campaign to have the Baptist Church lose Baylor the same way Baylor College of Medicine in Houston did in the 80s. Maybe I should be more inclusive and suggest Baylor sponsor Momba Muslim College for membership.

Sorry, Dion

18. LonghornCatholic

Would BYU even want in at this point? The Big XII is in a coma.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

That's the best of no good options. That conference will have a short shelf life.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

You could build a conference of Texas, OU, Alabama, LSU, Florida, Georgia, ND, USC, Ohio State, Clemson, Tennessee, Auburn, aTm, and Bowelsby would f**k it up.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

I was shocked at first when I heard about us moving to SEC (SEC, SEC). But it didn't take too long to feel the relief that we don't have to sweat the tentative existence of the Big (12?, 10?, 8?).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. Gladius&Pilum

Gladius&Pilum 100+ Posts

Sweat the tentative existence?

All I've ever heard from UT fans is how every conference would give its left nut and put a mortgage on the right one to get the Longhorns. Why would you sweat it?

23. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

No, Dion is a Momba.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Sorry, Sabre, but you already ****** it up by including aggy...

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  25. LonghornCatholic

BYU is ready to come run the Big XII….and don’t they have their own network? Oh the irony lol.

26. LonghornCatholic

27. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

but they do. Religious programming between sports events.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  28. Seattle Husker

Question: Is the B12 with a BYU/BSU replacing UT/OU still a Power 5? I'd argue no. They'd become part of the G6.

29. Seattle Husker

Yep, they do have their own network which I'm certain they won't give up because it's purposed as much for religious indoctrination as it is for sports. BYU wraps their athletics in religion. It's unavoidable which is likely why they'll never mesh with the likes of Baylor.

30. Giovanni Jones

Giovanni Jones 2,500+ Posts

Be like having two dueling uncles at the Thanksgiving table.