The Irate 8 - What do hope for them?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by LonghornCatholic, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Wait a minute. You mean we may have to play BYU before we leave???

2. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Yes. Apparently B12 only needs 8 of 10 votes to add members.

3. LonghornDave

LonghornDave 1,000+ Posts

Good to know we can share not very good money with 4 more teams. I hope ESPN figures out a way to pull the Band aid off.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  4. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

I keep seeing this being reported, but I've seen nothing on these schools actual interest level in joining the conference. Has anyone seen any interest in these teams joining the Big 12? We assume invites wouldn't go out without interest, but with bowel movement in charge it wouldn't surprise me if they all say no.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Sounds like it’s getting real close to being a done deal.

Houston - plant the conference flag in the South’s biggest city
    BYU - massive nationwide fanbase. Lots of folks seem to really hate them.
    Cincinnati - Midwest exposure. Good for trolling Buckeyes. Good recruiting state.
    UCF - Florida exposure. Great recruiting state. Enormous school.

Still not clear (to me) whether BYU is joining on a football only basis.

6. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Ha! As 365 Sports pointed out:

Maybe now we’ll see the “Landry’s Big 12 Championship Game.”

(better put it on your calendar, Sabre…)
    :beertoast:
    :arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up::arrow-up:
    Could be enjoying some brewskis with that delightful spinach artichoke dip they serve…

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
  7. LonghornDave

And the Joe's Crab Shack bottom feeders game between Kansas and the loser of the UH TTU game.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

Expecting more of this after B12 adds Cougar High.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • WTF? WTF? x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. LonghornDave

I have seen a few fights over the years but none involved women at a football game. Wow, just wow.

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Just a little good natured ribbing there. No need for police to show up.

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Well, if there’s one thing Houston Cougar fans are known for, it’s class.

Jenkins was the perfect match with that program.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. LonghornDave

I suspect TTU is ready for the red tag on the away team section trick. But with no one in the stands running the goal post into the opposing team's section won't be that dramatic.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

They deserve one another.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Sickening

15. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Chop,

I hope that was TIC. If not, I'm sorry that you have never experienced decent food or even Golden Corral, much less the finer cuisine of NOLA & SFO.

If you expect me to believe you got even an edible meal at one of his restaurants, all credibility is out the window.

:beertoast:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

They are too busy chasing the driveby shooters outside to get to the car thieves in the parking lot much less a fight in the stadium

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  17. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Tillman does a good job at his restaurants except hire experienced servers and cook staff. He has to save money somewhere and that is where it goes.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. LonghornDave

Round up the usual suspects...

19. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Notice the police chief always gives finite descriptions of the offenders

"young male, 18-25, medium build driving a Dodge Charger with paper plates"

Aside from the car, that narrows it down to 750,000 people in the Houston SMSA.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

And now, Holgorsen follows the Jenkins legacy fairly closely.

• Hot Hot x 1
  21. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

He has been phenomenally successful running casual sit down dining restaurants profitably—something that’s difficult to do. I read somewhere he is the only living billionaire by way of casual sit down dining restaurants. I know he’s a lightning rod of controversy, and some on these boards really don’t like his restaurants. That’s good for a few tongue-in-cheek laughs here from time-to-time. :beertoast:

Seriously though, his philanthropy is to be applauded—even if UH may be the biggest beneficiary. He’s also done great things for Galveston. Kudos for that.

22. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

His mother's family are great people, and I count some of them among my friends. His grandfather was one of the most interesting people I ever encountered. Unfortunately, you only got a few minutes conversation with Mr Falgout. He sent a lot of time in Costa Rica with his friends Ben Jack Cage & Robert Vesco.

Which word does not belong?

Glad you like him. Hope you get to meet him some day.

23. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I found this from Deseret News:

"As was reported last week would take place, Yahoo’s Pete Thamel reported Monday that the presidents of the Big 12 Conference schools met Monday to discuss the “impending applications” of BYU, UCF, Cincinnati and Houston to the conference.

"According to Thamel, no formal votes about adding those schools was taken, as it was “more of an informational meeting.” That said, things are expected to continue to move quickly. Thamel reported that applications are expected by Wednesday, and a formal vote will likely take place on Friday.

"Thamel quoted a source as saying, “We’re heading toward adding four teams in the next short period of time.”

"As far as the timeline for the four schools to start competing in the Big 12, Thamel reported that it will likely be in 2023, meaning two more seasons of 10 teams in the conference, then two seasons with 14 before Texas and Oklahoma depart for the SEC after the 2024 season, when the Big 12’s TV deal expires."

LINK:

Big 12 presidents reportedly met Monday, things still on track to add 4 schools quickly

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
  24. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Why would they act so quickly. If there was a brain cell in Las Colinas, they need to sit down with the TV people to see what the $$$ are with and without the addition. Since none of the four bring any TV sets and following (other than BYU, whose fans will watch on TV, but not attend) If the eight can get $25 million each for TV versus getting $18 million when split 12 ways, why do it? Ticket sales? NO! Travel income? NO! Why do it other than give up $$$.

• Winner Winner x 1
  25. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

The biggest threat to survival of the Big 12 was having it's "best of the rest" poached ny the AAC. Attack by taking the AAC's top teams is survival defense that makes sense.

26. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Crockett

I disagree. Taking teams that can't average 20,000 at home, have zero TV appeal, have no following, and don't travel does NOTHING. Who do they think is going to poach them? Southland, WAC, BigSky? It's the Big XII or shuffle the deck on the "who cares conference".

27. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

28. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Would I prefer that to the SEC? Nah, but at least 3 of the invitees would up average attendance and TV appeal of the Irate 8.

29. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

I believe it was Hoss Brock, the late director of the Cotton Bowl Classic, accidently getting caught on a hot mic, about getting stuck having to invite BYU and it's following to Dallas: "Oh yeah, they all show up. With a $20 bill and the Ten Commandments. And they don't break either one".

Not sure if this was before or after he commented that all of the Houston fans that would come up for the game would eat at 7-11.

You youngsters missed a lot.

:cowrose::texasflag:

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  30. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Hoss actually said half of Houston's fans ate at 7-11, while the other half was robbing them.

Hoss made The Cotton Bowl the most important when he convinced ND to break their policy and go to the 1970 Cotton Bowl. Hoss also killed the Cotton Bowl by trying to undercut the proposed championship rotation causing the Cotton Bowl to be left out.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1