The Liar-in-Chief strikes again

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by NJlonghorn, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

They are not on the same trend line so you're dead wrong. Obama's average GDP was 1.88%. What's Trump's again? Under Obama this economy was built on funny money. All of Obama's "growth" was built on smoke and mirrors. The tax cut has boomed this economy and it's worked quite well. The tariff situation will work itself out because China will have to give in.

• Like Like x 2
  2. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

It is my opinion that all Obama did was kick the can down the road by use of zero interest money and QE. The doubling of the national debt should force Liberals to stop acting like his economic policies were smart. Anyone could have done it.

3. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Yep. Most people don't seem to realize all of Obama's lies because the press ran interference for him. If Obama was a republican the press would have destroyed him.

4. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...-versus-obama-economy/?utm_term=.3f9f38c5ae88

"the economy added more jobs in every year of Obama’s second term than it did in Trump’s first year. "

The trend lines look trendy to me. The difference is that the tax cut is a short term GDP positive.

A solid conclusion:

The Pinocchio Test
    Many of the eight factors we examined tell a common story — the start of Trump’s economy follows the trend set by the last years of Obama’s economy. We’ll keep an eye out as the president’s policy changes — from tariffs to taxes — settle into the U.S. and global markets, but as of now, Trump is still working off the base Obama built.

We’ve said before that anyone who gives sole credit to a president for economic gains receives an automatic Two Pinocchios — and Trump’s claim of a historic turnaround is worthy of more. The historical books are going to view the actions taken in 2008 and 2009 by George W. Bush and Obama — and the Federal Reserve — as pivotal to saving the U.S. economy.

Trump, however, has exceeded expectations on jobs and economic growth that were in place at the start of 2017. That’s due in part because of his tax cut, but also because of factors largely beyond his control, such as the increase in oil prices. The real test will be whether the current trajectory is sustainable.

5. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Yep. 12 trillion of quantitative easing for 1.88% annual growth. It was a freaking disaster.

6. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I agree the President shouldn't get sole credit or blame. What can they really do? Veto a bill? The main thing to me is confidence and a President can greatly impact our sense of wealth and well-being. Jimmy Carter's famous "malaise" speech was seen as placing a damper upon our nation. Reagan was famous for being positive all the time. We spend for what we need and extend that further if we feel safe and confident.

I don't know who was in charge of the QE. Did Obama do that? The Fed? Did he strong-arm or beg them?

As for Trump, there is always a time lag between congressional action and its impact on the economy. It takes years to know. I think many on the right are/were gloating about the economic metrics under Trump due to the politically motivated doomsday projections by Liberals if Trump won the election.

7. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Sorry, I can't read the article. This woman doesn't seem to understand that the economy was already beginning to straighten itself out. A little bit of quantitative easing wasn't bad but not for so many years. Sorry, she's an architecture major. She doesn't know what the hell she's talking about. Take that article to the New York Stock Exchange and show it to the investors there and get laughed at. Look at what the people who make money think. It's Trump's Booming Economy, Not Obama's | Investor's Business Daily

• Like Like x 1
  8. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

The fed is in charge but its members can be replaced by the president after a four year term. The feds technically have the power but they usually go by what the prez wants or they are out. This current fed chief would probably get it for his hikes when his term is up except he's safe until 2022.

9. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I think the entire cast blame or give credit solely to the President game is a complete capitulation by everyone that Congress is untouchable. They have managed to construct an institution that is destructive, immutable and wholly blameless.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  10. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

- defeat of ISIS
    - record unemployment
    - rising wages
    - corporate tax reform
    - deregulation
    - conservative judges
    - prison reform
    - new NAFTA
    - higher military spending

• Like Like x 1
  11. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

I'm too lazy to sift through 5k posts but I've admitted Obama clearly wasn't being truthful when he made that statement, particularly since he had to have known that insurance plans would be dropped due to the new requirements ACA put in place for all plans. To be sure, I'm not making any excuses for Obama or any of their surrogates.

Now, are we saying that because 1 POTUS lied on a single important issue that gives license to lie about everything all the time, big or small? Trump really has changed the office of the POTUS and not for the better.

12. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

mc
    Good start
    repatriation of billions in profits which will lead to increased tax revenue

increase of manufacturing jobs. ( ex 175,000 added in 2017 versus loss of 16,000 in 2016 Jobs in goods-producing industries — mining, construction and manufacturing — grew 3.3 percent in the year preceding July, the best rate since 1984, according to a Washington Post analysis.

Tax Cuts and Jobs Act which reduced the tax burden on small business among other favorable policies that undid the horrific burden Obama out on small business
    December 2017, President Trump announced his first full Regulatory Plan and Unified Agenda of Regulatory and Deregulatory actions, committing his Administration to issue at least three deregulatory actions for every one new regulation
    The Opportunity and Revitalization Council , a $100 BILLION initiative to spur business and growth in urban areas.. The program will offer breaks on capital gains taxes to investors in distressed zones — obviously a huge boost to predominately black and minority neighborhoods, which are still lagging in indicators like wage growth.
    I guess that shows how racist he is.:whiteflag:

These are just some of the policies that positively affect workers. I did not mention the number of companies who brought jobs back or who are increasing their USA companies and who credit Trump directly.

I hate that he tweets crap and that he does not hesitate to tweet whatever he feels whenever he feels it.
    BUT I bet if you ask any black or Hispanic who now has a job or any who got raises if his bombastic stye bothers them they would laugh.

13. Seattle Husker

If that was true, they wouldn't have a collective approval rating below the POTUS. Yes, they've greatly abdicated in areas like war but untouchable and blameless? It seems to me Congressman are getting voted out on a fairly regular occurrence now. Maybe not the ones you like but unless you are a vocal leader your job is at risk. Even vocal leaders (see: Cantor) are also at risk but less so than most.

14. Seattle Husker

Only Trump is claiming ISIS is defeated and most recently he's equivocated and said "near defeated". Nobody in his administration has been so bold to proclaim ISIS is defeated.

15. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

SH
    IIRC I believe Trump said ISIS was defeated in Syria.
    All the experts including leaders In Iran and Iraq
    say ISIS now controls less than 2% of what they did control in Syria.

16. Seattle Husker

Well, if they don't have any land I guess we no longer have to worry about them then. Thank you Mr. Trump. I sit corrected.

Oh wait...nearly every person in the Trump Admin, sans Trump, spent the 2 weeks preceding Trumps decision were quoted saying ISIS was on the run but not defeated and now was not the time to walk away. What do they know? Trust in the military genius that is Trump. He knows more than the generals. Believe him.

17. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

SH
    Start with facts
    Do You acknowledge ISIS's footprint in Syria is severely diminished?

18. Seattle Husker

Is that "defeated"? Let's start with THAT fact or do you want to continue to deflect and redirect?

19. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

It's a lot more than one lie. Even the left leaning Polifact has a pretty long list of Obama's lies. All False statements involving Barack Obama | PolitiFact . I've seen conservative outlets have even more. My point is that Obama lied quite frequently himself. My favorite one was that he said it was easier to buy a gun than a book Yes, he said that. I bet you didn't know that, did you?

20. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Well the Pentagon says ISIS only controls 1% of the territory in syria it once did.
    So if that does not mean defeat to you SH what would?
    Do you seriously think there is a way to kill them all?
    Do you think ISIS will sign surrender docs?

• Hot Hot x 2
  21. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

I'm referring to the Obama vs Trump economy. The approval rating of Congress may be as you say (haven't looked at any polls recently) but most people are fighting hostile online wars over the two Presidents. Congress is never mentioned.

I think Congress is evolving a bit because of Trump and the long-time program of virtue signaling from the Left that is beginning more and more to gain traction in many Americans who are either intimidated or want to feel like they are "good" people. Beto was unable to unseat Cruz but his entire campaign was virtue signaling as far as I'm concerned. That and being able to ride a skateboard. I don't know that it was necessarily proof that Congress is not untouchable. I would have to look up the % of incumbents that make up the entire body.

22. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Here's something I found about the % of incumbents in Congress:

[​IMG]

23. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Every year the same in both houses? Hmmmm

24. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Good eye. I pulled that from CNBC. Might have to check another source.

25. Seattle Husker

Deafeated typically means the threat is neutralized. If you want to redefine the term to support Trump's quote that's your right.

26. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Because islamists and the jhadi philosphy are old world typical .
    SH be honest. Do you think ISIS, AlQ etc etc etc can be defeated like the Germans and Japanese?

27. Seattle Husker

Do I? No, but I'm not the one defending the claim they are defeated. It sounds like you don't believe they can be defeated. Why are you defending the claim again?

28. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

ISIS not defeated.
    His tax reform is a failure.
    Conservative judges. Yay!
    Prison reform was a nice bipartisan thing. They've been trying to do it for years. And, it's really a mini version of reform.
    New NAFTA. GHWB's NAFTA. Too bad he couldn't get a new wall funded by Mexico.
    Do we need more military spending?
    We are now in company with Brazil, Argentina, Russia and Turkey in the authoritarian circles. Winning!

29. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

You may not care for the items on my list, but for the half of America that actually produces something, these are highly important. I failed to add record oil and gas production to my list. Recall Obama wanted more regs on fracking. He also wasn’t competent enough to approve a pipeline. Dems: you can’t drill your way to lower oil prices. GOP: yes we can if you can let go of your redistribution policies.

30. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

Your tax reform comment is ignorant. The lower corporate tax rate plus the re-expatriation of foreign profits has resulted in bringing stranded cash back to the US. You think Apple opening a 15k worker hub in Austin was going to happen otherwise?

• Agree Agree x 1