The Liar-in-Chief strikes again

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by NJlonghorn, Dec 27, 2018.

1. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Will Hurd is a Republican who is very familiar with the costs, consequences and alternatives to the wall. Of course listening to leaders who don't oversimplify and villify requires you to think rather than feel. All the media focus is on partisans who would rather fight than problem-solve.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I didn't expect anything, because I knew he was full of crap the minute the words came out of his mouth. The US was always going to pay for the wall. Only a fool believed otherwise.

You can't say "words mean things" and then basically say that they don't when Trump is saying them. If they mean things, then they mean things no matter who is saying them. Any other standard invites ambiguity and subjectivity, the avoidance of which is the whole reason we care about using language to communicate in the first place.

And let's keep in mind that we weren't talking about a joke or satire. He was saying this as a serious policy proposal. Mexico is supposed to be paying for the wall - period. Whether it's a check from Mexico City or not, the money is supposed to come from them, not the American taxpayer.

And again, I don't care about the $5B, because it's champ change. When Nancy Pelosi farts, it costs $5B. The point is that we can't expect to be taken seriously when we're throwing BS against the wall and then telling people they shouldn't "take us literally."

When Obama promised to save each American $2,500 per year on health insurance and that if we liked our plans we could keep them (which were obvious *********), would we have taken "don't take him literally" as a valid excuse? I doubt it. I sure as hell wouldn't have.

Two points on this. First, if this was true, then budget scorers (at least with the OMB) would be able to fund the wall without additional money. Second, Mexico losing money doesn't equate to them paying for the wall.

I presume the common English definitions of words unless there's a reason not to, so I guess I'm not particularly sophisticated.

3. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

I was shocked to hear on the radio coming to work this morning that just last year the U.S. spent $500 million to build a 287-mile-long wall for Jordan along their border with Syria to keep terrorists from entering the country.

Inside the Beltway: Democrats paid for a wall (in Jordan)

I guess walls are only immoral when they're built to protect Americans. Everywhere else, they're OK and seem to work just fine.

4. ShAArk92

ShAArk92 1,000+ Posts

I guess it all depends upon how one views accounting. Too many corporations step over $10 to save a dime ... that's a loss, but is portrayed as a savings.

If that revenue remains in the U.S. ... it is taxed by the U.S. and not Mexico. Mexico pays ... AND ... tax revenues here increase. Win Win on this situation.

It's not like a lost potential gain ... it's an actual loss. Whether that's from reduced income or increased liability the effect is the same and that it's because of tighter border security (to include the wall) ... it pays for itself.

My concern is that this several dozen/hundred some odd billion/year the US is spending on illegals welfare being saved ... becomes a point to expand govt programs elsewhere rather than just realizing a proper reduction.

well, I'm not either! :p sorry for my failure to put the tongue firmly in cheek before.

Glad to know you didn't really expect Mexico City to send DC a check to build the wall.

If ya want to understand Trump, you do. That's part of being a master manipulator. My grandfather was a master malapropism (sp?) ... intentionally misunderstand. Trump does this too, but not to be funny ...to manipulate the conversation.

Its effective ... and those powers should only be used for good! ;)

5. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Clean
    I just read that.:brickwall:
    Between that and all the vids showing Schumer Pelosi Obama calling for wall, barrier whatever you want to call the major tool to prevent illegals sneaking in, is there any reasonable person does not see this is the Dems just hating Trump.

AOC snarked out that Trump should explain why we are still funding ICE. The stupid @itch vote FOR funding ICE last week.:facepalm:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Hurd doesn't know as much as the people at the border, does he? I don't think so.

7. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

You are joking, right? Hurd's district is on the border. He know Border Patrol people, landowners, Mexicans and when he meets with people he actually listens.

8. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

No, I'm not joking. He doesn't know as much as the border patrol people. Upper management of the border patrol wants a wall and I'm sure they know better than a politician.

9. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

In any job if you ask an employee "do you need more resources" the answer would be yes! Now ask them if they are will to make sacrifices in other areas to get more resources the answer will be but...but...but...

10. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Absolutely no proof that this is what is happening and is wild conjecture on your part.

11. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Garmel, I think Trump is the one making wild conjectures and doesn't care who gets hurt so long as he can save face. Meanwhile Nancy and Chuck don't care much so long as they cause him to lose face.

12. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

That's your belief and it's one that I don't share. We'll have to agree to disagree.

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  13. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
  14. Seattle Husker

FIFY

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • poop poop x 1
  15. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

So everybody does it? No, they don't.

16. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Btw, I'm still waiting for data that shows this wall won't work.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Wild conjecture would include Trump's claim that former presidents regretted that they didn't build the wall and "many" federal employees encouraging him to continue the shutdown because the so believe in the "wall"

18. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

AND data that is crisis is " manufactured"

19. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

How do YOU know there aren't fed employees encouraging him?
    As far as former Potuses go
    Really whether that is true or not do you actually consider that important?
    I submit you are engaging in "conjecture".

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Well the "many" employees sounds a lot like the proven lie of former presidents privately backing the wall. Maybe some of the unpaid workers will go public? But to me it sounds a lot like the made up crap that Trump so readily spouts.

21. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I have no idea about what former Pres may or may not have said But we absolutely know Clinton and Obama spoke out against letting more illegals in and the problems they create. Bush called for a "secure border to shut off illegals."
    I am not making up their public positions on this.
    There is NO conjecture on their words, over and over.

federal employees? Well I have heard on talk radio supposed federal employees call in and say they support Trump so maybe for once something can be done to stop the hundreds of thousands streaming in bringing disease crime and burdens on Texans and Americans. Were they real fed employees? No one vetted them so you may choose to not believe them

22. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

It seems a lot of folks in the media, and some on HF, think the POTUS lies whenever he says something they think is not true. Prove it or shut the hell up.

• Like Like x 1
  23. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

You’re funny.

24. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

And you're effed in the head. Get help.

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  25. Seattle Husker

"I have an idea. I'm going to make a bunch of broad claims and use anecdotal references and fear mongering. Prove my idea bad."

If Donald Trump hasn't been able to make a convincing argument for the wall I suspect you won't be able to either.

26. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

There's evidence that it will work. Places that have put up walls have decreased illegal immigration. The " illegals just moved to another spot" is an unprovable canard. Walls are working for countries all around the world. Also, the people that actually work on the border say it will work. I'm willing to believe they know what they are talking about over what you and the rest of the left believe. Now, show me something that proves the wall won't work beyond just your feelings.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Seattle Husker

More claims that you are expecting "data" to disprove. Shouldn't this be on you to PROVE? Please start with data showing that a wall is necessary.

28. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

Why would I waste my time on someone who's mind is made-up? You believe that people who want the wall are xenophobic. I can't fight MSM brainwashing. ;) To me there's ample proof that the wall is necessary and it would work.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Seattle Husker

A simpler answer would be to say "no, I choose not to justify my opinions whereas others should justify their opinions."

30. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Husker?
    Are you saying you do not think walls work and you are unaware of any walls here in USA or anywhere they are around the world that "work?