The lie that is White Privilege

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Austin_Bill, Jun 14, 2020.

1. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

This false narrative of white privilege is being tossed around so much and carried with such vigor that it's become a bullseye on the backs of every person who is not a person of color. Well now it also is for those of color

• Like Like x 7
  2. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

I posted this in the Eagles thread but Dr Wilfred Reilly summarily dumps on the idea of white privilege and systemic racism on Mark Levin tonight. I was pretty impressed with his clarity and unwavering focus. He didn't hesitate for one second in his delivery on both topics.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Larry Elder did the same thing on Dave Rubin's Show a couple of years ago.

At the base all these Leftist movements require wealth redistribution in an attempt to create equal opportunity and outcome. The problem is that none of that works and leads to more injustice in the process.

The best we as humans can do is remove obstacles to advancement for all people. We have to be a meritocracy as much as possible. The problem we face is the attempt to remove all perceived injustice results in more actual injustice than if we would have left well enough alone.

The take away is that the best path forward is to create as much freedom as possible for as much people as possible. But you have to draw the line at taking from one and giving to the other. Just don't create artificial barriers for a person's advancement.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It is nothing more than a rhetorical weapon to suppress debate and free inquiry and to protect the arguments of the political Left from meaningful scrutiny and analysis.

And yes, it makes all kinds of racist assumptions. For one thing, let's be honest. That lady assumed that dude was white because he "sounded white." If he had said the same things but spoken like Snoop Dogg, she wouldn't have gone to the white privilege cop-out. However, in her mind, a black person isn't supposed to speak with decent grammar and diction and free of street slang, and since he did, she presumed he was white.

• Like Like x 4
  5. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Dead on!! Would give that comment a dozen likes if I could. Well said, imho.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

I think white privilege is that I don't have to coach my kids on how to not get shot in a traffic stop. I don't have to have to coach them up on what to do if someone calls you a N-Bomb. They're the things that we don't even know that we have.

7. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

If you don't coach your kids on what to do in a traffic stop, you are neglecting your parental responsibility.

Have you coached them up on the proper response to being called a cracker, a honky, pasty faced white bread, a bolillo? How about the worst pejorative of all, a sooner?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

A. No. They don't need it.
    B. Showing migratory patterns of slang, I had to google bolillo.
    C. Boomer!
    D. I just noticed your tag line/signature. Classy!

9. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

If they don't need it it means you have taught them how to respond to any person in authority.

10. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

I do have to coach my kids, Don't get dred locks, don't get corn rolls, you ain't a human beat box, when you free style rap, it sounds stupid. Don't get me started on the electric slide.

There are a lot of black culture that doesn't work for white people and they need to be coached on this. I can't think of a single thing that goes the other way for blacks.

11. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

To Sangre's post, a parent is VERY irresponsible if they don't coach their kids about how to react to a law officer in public or being pulled over. It's just common sense.

It doesn't matter what race, sex, age you are, you better be respectful, listen, follow instructions, no fast moves, keep your hands where the officer can see them at all times. My Dad did that with me and my brother and we did it with our kids.

Do that and you will not have problems unless you have broken the law... but that is another story.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  12. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Most of it is obvious, but my dad definitely coached me before I started driving. Stop immediately. Have license and relevant paperwork ready. Have hands on the wheel when the cop approaches. Be respectful and cooperative. If you have to make any moves with your hands, tell the cop what you're doing first and don't do it fast or suddenly. Never touch the cop. This isn't a white or black thing. It's a good parenting thing.

The overwhelming majority of cases that we hear about that involve the police shooting someone (white or black) happen to someone who didn't follow one or more facets of that advice. They ran from the cop. They assaulted the cop or were otherwise uncooperative.

• Like Like x 7
  13. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I was told by a cop friend to take the keys out of the ignition as soon as you pull over and put them on the dashboard, and your hands on the roof. When the cop approaches he can see you're not going to take off and you're in no position to reach for a weapon.

Since I heard that 15 years ago I have been stopped twice. Followed that advice precisely and was given a warning both times. Because I'm white? Maybe. Because I did what was needed to lower the tension? Also maybe. Because I was speeding, but not crazy speeding both times? Also also maybe.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  14. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Interesting to hear all these “my parents taught me”. All my Dad ever told me was do what your told and DON’T SASS to a policeman, he never said ’cop’, never. But then my Dad never cussed either and I guess I had a sassing problem back then. Not really.

15. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

1. I got coached about cops. My family has had bad run-ins with police. Yes, I was told a bad cop may shoot you as a kid. You need to understand that just because you were not given this speech, does not mean other people were not given this speech. Additionally, if someone was given this speech as a kid, this argument falls completely flat and leads people to not agreeing that white privilege is a thing.

2. Name-calling happens to everyone. How emotionally hurt someone is by being called a name is unique to every person. We as a society have decided to try and eliminate that word for obvious reasons. However, I can guarantee you due to the rate of teenage suicides, many people can be called things that hurt them individually worse. Please note that I am not saying being called that is not devastating to african americans. I am saying that the toll of being called any name is entirely unique to the name and person and there is no one-size fits all for this. All people can relate to being made fun of, especially for physical traits, which is why most people do not do that to other people as they mature.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
  16. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Funny enough. I was never coached by my parents about what to do around cops because it was assumed that I would respect their authority and be polite. I was always a little afraid of adults as a kid, like a respectful fear. But talking to my dad this weekend, he basically said of course you should keep your hands on the wheel and move slowly and communicate respectfully to cops. In our worldview there was no other option because that is how you related to people in authority.

Even funnier, I did have some run ins with police in high school. My friend was the DA for a while. He told both of us to never tell the cops anything. Be respectful but never say anything because they will use anything you say to hold it against you.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

My parents taught me this one. When dealing with a cop, innocent or guilty, your answer to everything is that you know nothing. Go full Sergeant Schultz. "I do not know where I am officer. I do not know where I am going officer. I do not know what time of day it is officer."

18. AustinHorn24

AustinHorn24 250+ Posts

To deny white privilege is to deny that racism exists. The only way for white privilege not to exist is if there's zero racism in America.

That doesn't mean that white people have it easy.

That doesn't mean that white people don't have any obstacles to success.

That doesn't mean that all white people are all evil racists.

It does mean that black folks are likely to run into obstacles that white people don't have to deal with.

It doesn't mean that all black folks are victims of severe daily racism.

It doesn't mean that racism is so severe in America that it's impossible for black folks to be successful.

It doesn't mean that crimes committed by black folks "don't count" because they were subjected to racism.

19. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

It's not white privilege, it's called American privilege. Black people get to take part in the American Privilege just as much as white people do, I'd say more so.

American privilege is starting a riot without fear of getting shot.
    American privilege is speaking against the leaders without fear of disappearing.
    American privilege is burning a flag without fear of getting beaten.
    American privilege is being able to be gay and not end up dead by the authorities.
    American privilege is thinking you are going to overthrow the government and you not instantly getting shot.

Americans have $hit so good. The reason black people more likely to get shot or end up in jail is because they do the most crimes. No one is forcing them to join gangs or shoot people. Yet, they do it and go to jail, so now I'm supposed to feel sorry for them? My sympathy is in the dictionary somewhere between $hit and syphilis. That is where you will find my sympathy.

I want examples. What are these so-called obstacles they have to deal with. They can say what ever they want about a white person and it's okay, if a white person says anything against a black person they are branded a racist and will lose their jobs. White people are walking on egg shells around black people for fear of being labeled. Black people are free to do or say what they want and white people have to take it.

Tell me what are these obstacles? I'm calling BS, 100% BS.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Actually this isn't true at all.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  21. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Austinhorn
    Some of your assertions are true but not all

22. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

White privilege is getting to start 100 points behind on the SAT when trying to get into a major state university.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

White privilege is getting all As in college except for 1 B and still can't get into law school after getting a good LSAT and applying multiple times.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Using affirmative action policies as a counterexample to white privilege is kind of telling. The fact that affirmative action exists was basically both a public (through law and court decisions) and private (business policies to remedy wrongs in things like hiring and pay) admission that white privilege exists, and therefore, needed solvency.

It's not one or the other... they both exist in the same realm.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Austin_Bill

Austin_Bill 2,500+ Posts

rewarding mediocre over excellence is illogical. Just another lie perpetuated over the American people. To act like affirmative action is right just because law (corrupt) and court decisions (enforcing those corrupt laws) and businesses (scared of the psycho left) go with it doesn't mean it was right.

I have a list a mile long of things that are black privilege.
    Do you know of a TV channel called White TV? Have you heard of Black TV or maybe BET?
    Why are there still traditional Black Universities?
    NAACP?
    Is there a National Association for the Advancement of White People?
    United Negro College Fund

All part of Black privilege, there is nothing like that in white America. If someone tried to start something like that for white people they would get stomped out and called racist.

You say White Privilege, I see a white burden.

26. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I think you miss the point. We reject the premise that affirmative action is needed or that it was ever a good or just policy to correct past discrimination.

• Agree Agree x 3
  27. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Absolute BS. Maybe 80 years ago that was true. Today the pendulum has swung far the other way. Examples cited in posts above. I've worked in corporate America for over 20 years and there's one thing I know for sure. If there's an open position and there's a qualified white and black candidate the white person doesn't stand a chance.

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  28. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

That's pretty much what Fernando Castile did. Didn't work for him.

29. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Croc
    A very very tragic death
    But surely you do not think there is ever a 100% solution?
    Have you checked the numbers in years since?
    Number of blacks killed by police dropped pretty dramatically
    Of course even one is too many

Does Fernando's tragic death mean there is no reason to follow good guidlines when pulled over by police?

30. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

• Agree Agree x 3